Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #1
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
Leaf springs broken

Just had both rear axel leaf springs break. Waiting on mobile rv guy to come out to take them off. Anyone with similar experience? We are on our return to AZ from Alaska so I'm sure the Alkan and Kasiar had something to do with it!!?? RK3000 2006

mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Have heard of this happening on the ALCAN but since we have never drug the Monte up there we don't have any experience on this subject. Just curious as to where you are having this done. Are you still on the ALCAN or back in the 48? Have heard of the brackets welds that hold the leaf springs breaking also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
mboys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12012
We are now in Cochrane just outside Calgary. Having a mobile rv service coming out in the morning and just so happens there is a huge spring company named Standens in Calgary that will most likely have the springs in stock. Clearance too little from top of tires for me to chance driving it. Don't know how we made it this far. I did notice the 5w was listing a little to the driver side and then seemed to correct itself. I assume the left leaf was broken then and when it corrected the right side broke making it even again. the rear axle is taking all of the weight for the two rear springs. Not sure if I will need to replace the front springs or not but not obviously broken like the rear. The leaf springs broke about 2 inched in front of the bolt (roll spring end at rear)on both sides.
mboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I had one break in New Hampshire on my rig. Mobile tech found a new spring at Tractor Supply. I decided to change my suspension to IS.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
If it was my decision to make I would replace all the springs AND hangers if you haven't already installed wet bolts.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
X2 I had one break and replaced them all. Then had one of the new ones break, it was right under the axle, right rear, didn't catch it in a timely manner so the left rear tire took the brunt of it. Was told with the spring broken it shortened up the right side causing the left tire to go out of alignment. After I found it, it dawned on me when it happened. Heard a metal snapping noise one morning hooking up didn't think it was anything.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Wow, never happened to us since late 2001 when we bought our first montana
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Standens Springs has been in business since the late 60's or earlier, if they cannot get you fixed up with a better than original set of springs no one can. I agree with Webefulltime and would replace the hangers as well, they will likely be heavier than original also.
good luck

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
I had the curb side rear wet bolt break while traveling and didn't notice it .When getting ready for next trip i saw the problem and installed a grade 8 bolt in hanger till i could get another wet bolt. When going forward the axle would slide back off center and wore the inside of my tire till it was almost slick. When backing up it would move backward.I installed the mor-ryde independent suspension after that , now no more springs and axles to worry about.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We met two folks on our trip in Alaska who had issues with either the wet bolt shearing off or breaking a spring.
Personally not a big fan of the Lippert Correct Trak spring hanger with wet bolts as the bolts are riding on an 1/8" steel plate which acts like a shear. Top it with a hollow bolt and it is not if but when it will break.
Once I found ours last spring I ordered an entire kit from Lippert as insurance.
Wish Montana or SOB offered as an option upgrade....would do it in a heartbeat!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
We had a leaf spring break in St. John's, Nova Scotia. Fortunately we were within driving distance for the repair. I had them replace all the wet bolt sleeves while I had it at the shop. They notice a bent bracket and suggested replacing it when I get home. They also replace all 8 vertical brackets that were worn. St. John's Spring Shop, St. John's, Nova Scotia. Ran about $200 American for the leaf spring replacement and wet bolt work.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wheelhouse

We had a leaf spring break in St. John's, Nova Scotia. Fortunately we were within driving distance for the repair. I had them replace all the wet bolt sleeves while I had it at the shop. They notice a bent bracket and suggested replacing it when I get home. They also replace all 8 vertical brackets that were worn. St. John's Spring Shop, St. John's, Nova Scotia. Ran about $200 American for the leaf spring replacement and wet bolt work.
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Wheel house it has to be St John's, Newfoundland not Nova Scotia or St John, New Brunswick, no St John's or St John in Nova Scotia.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #14
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Smile Location correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider View Post
Wheel house it has to be St John's, Newfoundland not Nova Scotia or St John, New Brunswick, no St John's or St John in Nova Scotia.
Joe
Yes, you are correct, it was in New Brunswick. LOL
St. John Spring Works
81 Thorne Ave.
St. John, NB E2J 1W7

Thanks for the catch.

Andrew
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We return from Alaska in late Sept. left From Hesperia,Ca. June the 6th.
Traveled 11,300 miles. One of our G614 was wearing on the inside so I took
The trailer to my RV guy close to were we live and they found damage to most
of the supension including the wet bolt kit,evidently it all started with both rear
spring hangers braking,not at the weld but the hangers themselves.All n all the cost ended up at 5200.00. I now realize what the problem was,the other rig we we're traveling with loves to drive fast and we we've trying to keep up. On the Alaska Hwy they have frost heaves and you get no warning until you hit them and than it's too late. My advice to anyone traveling that hwy take it slow,around 40 mph.
Live and learn thank God we made it back safe and sound.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Our rig is sitting in Middletown, NY with at least a broken rear spring. Trailer body dropped onto the rear tire and had to be jacked and blocked allowing me to slowly drive to the repair shop.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #17
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackflash View Post
We return from Alaska in late Sept. left From Hesperia,Ca. June the 6th.
Traveled 11,300 miles. One of our G614 was wearing on the inside so I took
The trailer to my RV guy close to were we live and they found damage to most
of the supension including the wet bolt kit,evidently it all started with both rear
spring hangers braking,not at the weld but the hangers themselves.All n all the cost ended up at 5200.00. I now realize what the problem was,the other rig we we're traveling with loves to drive fast and we we've trying to keep up. On the Alaska Hwy they have frost heaves and you get no warning until you hit them and than it's too late. My advice to anyone traveling that hwy take it slow,around 40 mph.
Live and learn thank God we made it back safe and sound.
For about 6,000 dollars you could have had the mor-ryde I.S. and disc brakes installed.I realize the Alaskan Hwy is much rougher than just about anything you will encounter in the lower 48 but the repetitive bounce and jolts on the suspension will test even the best suspensions. The I.S. may not be perfect but at least you don't have to worry about the springs,axles and wet bolts breaking even though the I.S. has it's weakness's.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #18
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We drove our 2006 Monty to Alaska in 2007. Came back OK. Yes, speed is not your friend on the frost heaves. Hope for the best in your repairs. I had wet bolts installed in 2008 and just replaced all of them this year because they could not take any grease and I have them greased annually. We drive about 4000 miles per year. I have always wondered if any RV mfgr really takes a look at the needed TRAILER for their RV they put on top of the frame, wheels, etc? I usually get my answer in the Owners Forum!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote