Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
Bsorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #19802
Cool No propane

It seems that my propane system has stopped working. I had one tank go empty but the auto switching valve will not switch over to the full tank. I moved the tanks around and still have no propane flow. Amt suggestions??

Bsorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Did you try manually flipping the switch at the regulator?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a similar problem 2 years ago. Turns out one of the tanks had the safety valve inside stuck. Actually, I filled the 2nd tank and it stuck too!!! I read up on it and if you turn the tank upside down and drop it an inch or two on something hard like concrete it jars it loose. I have had no problems since then.
This valve is to prevent gas spewing out if the hose breaks or such. IT will also jam if you open the valve real fast to start.
Maybe this technique will help you. Good Luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Cut the valves on the tanks off loosen the holding straps on the tanks and give them a good shake. Than open the valves very slowly. Like Tom said it's probably the safety valve.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
All the newer cylinders, the ones that connect to the green acme nut on the pigtail line, have an OPD device, Overfill Protection Device, which is simply a float valve that closes when the tank reaches it's maximum designed fill level. The pigtail with the green acme nut has an excess flow valve built in, basically a spring loaded ball bearing that closes when the gas flow exceeds it's design. So, when you open the valve on the tank too fast, the ball bearing closes and reduces the gas flow to a very small amount. The remedy for this is to close the tank valve, remove the pigtail with the acme nut which allows the excess flow valve to open, reconnect the pigtail, then open the tank valve very slowly, and you should have normal flow from the tank.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Different direction. We could not get our furnace to run or start consistently.

If I filled the tanks sometimes it would work or if I tried turning the furnace on and off several times it would sometimes start. After taking the camper in, we found the regulator was not working and would stick. Replaced it and all is good with the world.

Try the tank thing first and then look at regulator or left / right auto valve.

Good luck.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
Bsorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #19802
Thanks or all the help. I ended up replacing the valve and regulator. Now another issue. Lol. My lines have a lot of oil in them. I have cracked the lines and drained some but it plugged up my stove. Any suggestions on how to clean this mess up. The oil is from the propane company. It's the smell they put into propane.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Bsorge
Established Member

M.O.C. #19802
I figured it out. My lines were full of oil. Still draining it out. Any suggestions on how to get the oil all out???