Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
bike racks

Well Santa(aka my wife)got me a mountain bike for Christmas.Not sure if shes telling me I need the excerise or just wants me out of her hair(lol)

Anyway now I need a bike rack.I`am reading good and bad on the bike racks that go on the rear ladder of our rigs.Any first hand knowledge on these racks??

I have also read where some people have a 2 inch receiver hitch welded on their king pin and put a bike rack their.Of corse going this way means hauling the Montana to a welding shop.That could be a problem maybe!!!!Or I might be able to have a mobile welding shop come to me for the work.

Don`t want my mountain bike costing me a "mountain" of money.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The most economical fix is a ladder rake. They work just fine. Just be sure to put foam pipe insulation or some other material around the frame where you strap them on. The straps and the ladder will wear away the paint on the bike if you don't. They travel well back there. Ours rode all the way to Alaska and back with no problem except for the paint wearing off because it wasn't protected.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have a bike rack that we got from Campers Word that hooks onto the rear ladder. it comes with two tyedowns for two bicycles. It has worked good for us. Just raise it high enough so sthe wheels dont drag when you go into a service station. It comes with Velcro straps to secure the front wheels so they don't scratch the Montana's.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Have you considered making space for it in your storage lockers? We carry two bikes in there as well as a lot of other stuff. You will need to take the wheels off and find some padding, but it works for us, and keeps the bikes dry and safe.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hidden hitch on front of Truck. The mounts on the pin boxes are nice, you will have to stand on something to put the bikes up there, and if you have a air pin, like ours, you cannot use one. This has been debated here several times, if you want some good reading, go search the archives!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We use the latter rack works great.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I have the bike rack from Campers World and hate it! It's a pain to load and unload and hard to say when the screws holding the ladder on will pop out. I'm going to go with welding on to the rear of the frame.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I didn't care for the ladder rack, so built a wooden flat rack for the truck bed. Sits in front of the RV cap and behind the truck cab. Bought "fork mounts" and bolted to 2x4s which make a frame right behind the cab on the bed. Frame is turnbuckled to bed hooks in my Ford. Bikes ride in the bed upright, but in the weather. Need covers. They rode great all the way to AK and back, w/lots of fun biking all along the way.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Right now we just take the front tire and wheel off and carry them behind the cab. But we are looking at a front hitch for the truck. We will use the front hitch when in tow, then the rear hitch when not in tow.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have a bike rack on the front of our truck...works good except cuts down on head lights if you travel at night.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 AM   #11
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I use a front mounted receiver for my bike carrier, very easy to install, reasonably priced. I got it from J.C. Whitney, you can check it out here: Hidden Hitch

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Yakima and Thule both make high quality bicycle roof mounts for trucks. Might even keep some bugs off the front cap.

Does anyone know for sure if adding a 2 inch receiver to the rear of the Montana would affect the warranty? Local dealer gave me a name for a shop to do the work but wouldn't do it themselves.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Our dealer installed our 2" reciever and never said anything about voiding the warranty?
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sweetfire, in recent years we were told that mounting a rear receiver hitch would void the warranty. Don't know if that has changed or not.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
When my Kids were younger and came with us we had a Yakima rack system and all 4 bikes rode on the roof of our pickup. It was an expensive system but worked very well.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We toted two adult mountain bikes on a ladder rack for two years and over 20,000 miles. The ladder and mounts are plenty strong to handle it. The biggest drawback for me was having to remove the bikes to go up on the roof. And we only used the bikes once in two years so we gave them to one of our kids and his family.

I also had a situation with our first Montana, detailed in another thread, where I essentially put the bikes too low on the rack, caught a bike wheel on a driveway and pushed it up at least a foot. There was some damage to the ladder's tubes but none at all to the Montana and its mounts. The moral is to be sure the entire bike is above the bottom of the ladder.

I'm totally convinced the ladder is plenty strong to handle it. But I did not like having to remove the bikes to get to the roof.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #17
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
two bikes on the ladder. 17000 miles the ladder is beganing to sag. Have to finr a different wethod.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #18
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I welded a receiver and then mounted it to the hitch with bolts. I then use a standard receiver hitch type of Yakima bike carrier. Works great however loading/unloading the bikes takes some work. Works best to put the bikes in the back of the pick up, get in the bed and then lift them onto the hitch.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #19
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Hidden Hitch on front of the truck - inexpensive, easy to install, & works great. No drilling/welding required.

To clear up the frame warranty question, the folks from Lippert said (at last year's GL Regional rally) that carrying anymore than 150 lbs. (including the weight of the reciever/bracket assy.) attached to the frame will void your 3 yr. frame warranty...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #20
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
I have the ladder mounted rack from Camping World as well, and it has worked out fairly well, except that after two round trips from Tennessee to Arizona, the ladder mounting bolts loosened up quite a bit. Now I only use the ladder mount when going short distances, and am planning on attaching to the frame, a light weight receiver hitch on the rear of the fifth wheel.
neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote