Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Keystone Manufacturing

I am just curious. Is the work force for Keystone Manufacturing union or non union? I know that some of the components like Dexter axles are. I figure that some of you who have toured the plants would very likely know.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Michael

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Serenity, I can't say for sure, but I would think that they are not union, as some of the workers are from the Amish culture. Keystone statrs their days at 4:00 A.M. and they end at noon. This gives the men a chance to go home and work on their farms during daylight hours. At least that is what they told us during our tour four weeks ago. I think that there are others that work but do not know their working hours.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I googled the union question .It is reported that over 90% of Rv production workers are NOT union.And lets NOT start a thread on that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
richfaa,
I agree 100%.Don't want a debate between union or non union. This is too good of a forum to start discussing politics. As I said before I was just curious and thought some of the more experienced members might know. I think it is interesting what paulrem shared because the Amish generally take pride in their work.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
The 4 am start was mentioned more than once at the rally last year. I would concur that the Amish have a high work ethic! Of course there will be minor problems with anything built by human hands but in general the pride they have in the work product shows.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is something to think about.Just about ALL of the major Rv manufactures are inside a 50 mile circle, or less of Elkhart, Ind and all draw from the same labor pool.The % of Amish workers is high at all the plants. Coachman, Forest River, Gulf stream, Jayco,Newmar, Starcraft, Carriage, Holiday Rambler, to name a few.Therefor you can surmise that the high work ethic would be across the board and that may be evidenced by the general quality of all the RV's manufactured in that area....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I worked in this labor pool for 20 some years. Yes the older amish had a greater work ethic for quality. You have to remember that those were the ones not pushed to hurry up and get the job done. You have to go like crazy in those shops, cause when its time to move the line you better be done or your in the next slot and further behind. Alot of the younger amish have been raised in these shops now instead of the farm, they only know go go go ...
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote