Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Satellite Prep >

Has anyone added a Satellite Connection to the side of their rig ?

I have a new Mountaineer TT and plan to drill a small hole in the side of my trailer and add a Satellite coax connection. Should have been an option as some of the more expensive Units have.
Is there anything I should watch out for ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Greg,
At least one person has done something similar to what you're talking about. If I remember it was a while back but was very well documented. Good description as well as some good pictures. Try searching and see what you get. Sorry I don't know exactly where it is located.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We did it to an old Terry 5th wheel we had. I picked up the parts at Radio Shack. Go thru an area where you can hook up directly with a short cable to your receiver. Use RG-6 cable designed for Satellite transmission.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Take a look at fulltimedreamer. I believe they are the ones who did many, many, great improvements to their coach. They have a link under their profile that has pictures and instructions on how they did each of their improvements.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I did a word description of what I did to our 2000 Montana. Search on ols1932 and you should find it. It's pretty easy to do. Just be sure to use RG-6 cable to ensure the best signal.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I have done the drilling based on what was suggested to me here by Karl and have included below a link he gave me to how he did it, which was fairly easy going in behind the removable panel behind the trash can drawer on the 3295RK.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v172/k...0Improvements/
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's a link tyo fulltimedreamer's installation...
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...shinstall.html

You will also find other MOC Member Show and Tell improvements here...
http://geocities.com/montanaowners/ShowandTell.html
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Greg,
There is another option available if you don't want to drill a hole in your trailer. I had a Sunnybrook TT before the Montana, and bought a cable that flattened out so you could snake it through a window or door. It worked just fine, and I think I got it at Camping World, or possibly Radio Shack. When I got the Montana though, I figured I'd have it a loooong time, so drilled the hole. Just be sure to seal it up good with RTV or equivalent. Good luck! Don
neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The flatten cables are avilable at Camping World. We have used them with no problems. We bring the DirecTV ino the bedroom this way as we have a second receiver there. Same great reception we get in the living room.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I did it - the "passthrough" connector I used has a rubber cover just like the factory uses for the cable hookup. I installed mine straight through to where the entertainement center is so there was no line to run in the walls. It was very simple once you get over the shock of standing in front of your RV with a BIG drill in your hand !! I also added a phone jack. Our TT is a 2000 so it didn't have all the amenities that are available today. I added some electrical outlets where they are standard now.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Thanks to all,
I can't wait to get started...now if I can just get out of the "honey doos"
...I have even thought about taking a little time off to get it all done. lol
Bought some connections yesterday and going to a RV Supply today for the Satellite weatherproof Jack. Wally-Mart or Lowe's don't carry that one.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
I also added an external "F" connector through to the entertainment center on my '04 Mountaineer 305FKS. Install is really simple - ditto on the shock factor of penetrating that pristene fiberglass sidewall though !

One tip - a good electronic "stud finder" will steer you clear of the aluminum studs in the side wall.

Remember - measure twice, drill once!!

Also, a small quantity of RTV sealant under the exterior connector weatherproof housing for moisture control.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Well I completed the Satellite connection install.
Somehow I missed the aluminum studs and all went well. I bougt the correct connector from a RV Supply, drilled a whole just large enough for the F connector to pass through and made the install. I place a 6 foot RG 6 line on the connector, tightented it up and fed it through the hole. Placed sealer everywhere and completed the install.

I also added an extra electric outlet into the bath sink area the same way.
I added a receptacle onto the outside of the trailer and from this I ran a 12/3 electric wire into a receptacle I added on the side of the cabinet under the sink. This outlet will get feed by running an extension cord from the 20Amp outlet in my RV power box. It is protected with the 20amp breaker (or you can put an inline 15 amp) and you now have power to your trailer that is not pulling on your Trailer's 30 Amps.