Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
jon119

M.O.C. #25642
Who owns a MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376/377FL? Question...

Hi,

We are buying a fifth wheel soon. We love the floorplan for the MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376FL, though we wish the floorplan was in the regular Montana line.
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...l-fifth-wheel/

Here is the question. In the bedroom we only see one AC duct in the ceiling. We are concerned that the room may not cool down as well as the rest of the unit. (The actual AC unit is in the ceiling of the loft above the bedroom and it appears that they funneled an AC tube and vent to the master bedroom below.)

What has been your experience in warmer weather? We like our bedroom quite cool.

Thanks!

jon119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have not been in one of those units, and I don’t really understand the loft above the master bedroom or how that might affect the a/c ducts - but the screen shot below is from the 360 interior view of a 375 floor plan with rear bedroom, and it shows the A/C unit above where you see the return air filter cover and two air registers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B4F4C4C-DC19-4F0D-B13B-82E770C157FC.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	5376  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
It will be both ducted and have the "dump" off the AC unit. It will cool very well!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
On occasion before we learned how to open up the discharge vents for better air flow we would partially open the "dump" vent (very handy directly overhead while laying in bed) and it would get extremely cold very quick with the A/C blowing directly on you.

I'm very much with you on the making some of the floor plans in the higher trim line. I reaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy wish the HC381TH was available in the highest trim line they make!!! And with every option you could possibly have included!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon119 View Post
Hi,

We are buying a fifth wheel soon. We love the floorplan for the MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376FL, though we wish the floorplan was in the regular Montana line.

Here is the question. In the bedroom we only see one AC duct in the ceiling. We are concerned that the room may not cool down as well as the rest of the unit. (The actual AC unit is in the ceiling of the loft above the bedroom and it appears that they funneled an AC tube and vent to the master bedroom below.)

What has been your experience in warmer weather? We like our bedroom quite cool.

Thanks!
By the way. Welcome to the forum. Hope you have many years of enjoyment.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
WELLLL ~~ I have a 2019 Montana 3761 (3760 has RV fridge/3761 residential) The floor plan is almost exact. So, Montana has your floor plan with minor differences. The counter space, an island instead of peninsula, there are 2 AC ducts and that AC unit has a heat pump as well (great for using much less propane), no loft but the bedroom and bath is raised which gives a ton of rear storage (midway of the model year a huge slide tray will be installed like the FK models I'm told). Not even my wife can fill all the storage in the basement. We have a bath and 1/2. Montana is set up for separate washer and dryer if desired, we see no need for a combo as they take so long to do anything with tiny loads. One drawback is the washer and dryer are in the closet which impacts hanging space but there is more than enough closet and cabinet space in the BR for our current 3 1/2 month trip. We also have 5 slides instead of 4, the kitchen opens both sides, much more roomy here. The only down side is with the LR and BD raised you will notice the kitchen is cooler than the rest of the 5er, not a huge difference but noticed.
We had the choice of the 2 and much prefer the Montana over the HC for the reasons above. That choice came with a cost in both price and weight.
AC ~~ both units in the Montana are 15K instead of 1 135 and the Monty has the heat pump.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
jon119

M.O.C. #25642
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
WELLLL ~~ I have a 2019 Montana 3761 (3760 has RV fridge/3761 residential) The floor plan is almost exact. So, Montana has your floor plan with minor differences. The counter space, an island instead of peninsula, there are 2 AC ducts and that AC unit has a heat pump as well (great for using much less propane), no loft but the bedroom and bath is raised which gives a ton of rear storage (midway of the model year a huge slide tray will be installed like the FK models I'm told). Not even my wife can fill all the storage in the basement. We have a bath and 1/2. Montana is set up for separate washer and dryer if desired, we see no need for a combo as they take so long to do anything with tiny loads. One drawback is the washer and dryer are in the closet which impacts hanging space but there is more than enough closet and cabinet space in the BR for our current 3 1/2 month trip. We also have 5 slides instead of 4, the kitchen opens both sides, much more roomy here. The only down side is with the LR and BD raised you will notice the kitchen is cooler than the rest of the 5er, not a huge difference but noticed.
We had the choice of the 2 and much prefer the Montana over the HC for the reasons above. That choice came with a cost in both price and weight.
AC ~~ both units in the Montana are 15K instead of 1 135 and the Monty has the heat pump.
Hi CaptnJohn,

Thanks for the response. We prefer the Montana over the HC as well. However, the floorplan that was of interest is only available in the HC.

The unique factor about this HC floorplan is that the AC ceiling unit is actually in the loft above the bedroom, and then there is just only one AC vent going to the bedroom below. I doubt that will cool down the whole room enough. This floorplan is different than all other HC and Montana (or any other manufacturer) in this regard.

Because of this risk, though we love the floorplan, we have decided to abandon our interest in this option and consider a different floorplan.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
The Montana 3761 is almost identical
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #9
jon119

M.O.C. #25642
Yes, your are correct, with the exception of the loft above the bedroom. It is the loft above the bedroom that causes the AC concern in the bedroom below. The 3761 does not have the loft.

Though the 3761 is an excellent floorplan, we cannot consider the 3761 because we need the additional sleeping arrangements for our girls, such as the the loft in the 376FL. However, we expect to be going with a mid-bunk option instead now.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! I don't see a lot of help out there in doing some searching. If you have a dealer in mind for your purchase you might call them to get specifics and maybe pictures.

I saw a pic that showed 2 vents in the loft above. I can't imagine that there aren't 2 vents in the master bed.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
jon119

M.O.C. #25642
Good call...we have an appointment with a dealer.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
Hooch on Wheels
Established Member

M.O.C. #23495
We have a 2018 MHC. Everywhere we go we have butcher shops asking if they can hang their extra beef in our bedroom. When we tell them it could freeze they usually excuse themselves and find somewhere else.
Ours works real well. Enjoy you HC.
Expect the unexpected.
Jim&Celia
Hooch on Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #13
Nmorris

M.O.C. #26845
I know this board is dated, we have this unit... There are technically 2 vents.. one is in the headspace of the doorway... Hot in the summer and cool in the colder nights..
Nmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #14
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Good call...we have an appointment with a dealer.
We were in the same position as you 18 months ago. After much research and "looking", we were convinced we wanted a Montana and not a High Country. When the time came to pull the trigger, we ended up with a MHC. The pros and cons of the floor plan verses the hydraulic slides and jacks made our choice easy.

I wish Keystone made the floor plan we like in the Montana line however we have no regrets on our purchase.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #15
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
We have a 367FL

...and we have been out twice since purchasing it in very hot weather (temperatures at 108').

Overall it was difficult to get the rig below 84' in doors. That is with all the shade pulled all day (and we have slide toppers).

By bed-time the master bedroom was not hot ...I would guess upper 70's. Your perception is correct, the AC routing doesn't flow as aggressive as rigs with the AC mounted / blowing direct into the room.

The opposite is true as well. The bunk house gets really cold.. we put filters in the vents to try and retard the flow.