Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Tire Protection

I'm wondering. Since I will be going full time around the first of the year and will be in one location for four to six months right out of the box, should I put something beneath my tires and the concrete pad I will be on?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
On my 24' TT, when it is going to sit for a long time, I jack it up and put blocks under the axles so the tires are off of the ground just a touch. I'm not sure if it is possible (or a wise thing) to do with a 5er of this size.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I always put 2 x 8 wood planks between my tires and cement.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When sitting on concrete nothing need be done. If on black top, soil or gravel than placing wood under the tires is recommended.

KTManiac's suggestion of jack it up and put blocks under the axles so the tires are off of the ground is the best way but not always the easiest way. Jacking and blocking the rig also gets rid of most all movement.

You will also get suggestions of covering the tires. This is OK but unnecessary. Also do not put any type of tire dressing on the tires. Rubber inherently has it's own lubrication and adding any type dressing impedes this natural process.

Here's the ONLY time that it is suggested you over inflate a tire. Over inflate by up to 25% but do not exceed the rim manufacturers specifications. Be sure to adjust the pressure before putting the rig back on the road. 25% over inflation is not going to do any damage to a tire that is stationery but will help prevent flat spotting.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not an expert like Glenn, but I take exception to only blocking on asphalt. But noted, it is mentioned that tires should be blocked when on asphalt.

Now, here is my reasoning - just logical deduction. Any tire sitting on any type of surface is subjected to whatever the surrounding environment will provide. So, if you are in a storage unit, and your neighbor has an RV, Boat, ATV, or any other vehicle and spills any type of petroleum product, it does not matter what you are sitting on, asphalt, cement, dirt, you are subject to that leakage finding its way to your tire, and deteriorating it. Next time out you may pay the price.

Don't forget to check for any type of equipment or transformers that produce ozone. Besides UV, ozone is another item that will deteriorate a tire.

If you just want to be a Redneck camper, prop plywood up side your tires. Cheaper than the covers. And don't forget to put a pink flamingo out front.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I'm not an expert like Glenn, but I take exception to only blocking on asphalt. But noted, it is mentioned that tires should be blocked when on asphalt.

Now, here is my reasoning - just logical deduction. Any tire sitting on any type of surface is subjected to whatever the surrounding environment will provide. So, if you are in a storage unit, and your neighbor has an RV, Boat, ATV, or any other vehicle and spills any type of petroleum product, it does not matter what you are sitting on, asphalt, cement, dirt, you are subject to that leakage finding its way to your tire, and deteriorating it. Next time out you may pay the price.

Don't forget to check for any type of equipment or transformers that produce ozone. Besides UV, ozone is another item that will deteriorate a tire.

If you just want to be a Redneck camper, prop plywood up side your tires. Cheaper than the covers. And don't forget to put a pink flamingo out front.
Wayne, I never claimed to be an "expert" but many many years in the tire business does qualify me as experienced and knowledgable.
Your but I take exception to only blocking on asphalt. and the following explanation is logical but a bit of an over kill. If you are going to be concerned about the slim possibility of your neighbor having some sort of a spill that may rot your tires than wouldn't you also want to put the RV on stilts? You just never know when there maybe a flood or some super tanker spills it's 10,000 gallon load of some sort of hazards chemical.
You are also correct about not storing tires near electric motors or other ozone-generating sources but I really don't think this applies in Mike's case.
Mike was asking about a concrete pad that he will be sitting on while camping. If you are in a storage unit, does not apply in this case either. If it had I would have mentioned other details such as the ozone and storage.

Wayne, if you are proping plywood up against your tires that's fine. So are covers, but neither is going to add any noticeable life to your tires.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn,
I meant you being an expert as a compliment, not a slur. I value your and Lonnie's advice when it comes to tires. You both have helped many of us in our search for knowledge.

Mike stated he will be in one location for 4 to 6 months. Isn't that sort of like storage? What length of time would constitute "storage?" This inquisitive mind is confused.

I guess if you are on a camping pad you may not have to worry about your neighbor's spills, except for the one directly behind or in front of you, and hopefully there would be a split in the concrete to drain any spill before it gets to the next trailer. Yes, logic can go to some far extremes. I was not trying to take it there, but when it comes to a trailer on stilts, I have one for sale, just for that occasional oil spil from a tanker.

Here! Are you interested?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Waynem, how did you get it level?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It was "plumb" Redneck engine'rd.
If'n ya make sure you sit in the middle it don't tilt as much.
Ain't no black or gray tank neither. Just wait until the wind is blowing onto neighbors place before ya let go.
Great "stand" for pluckin' Bambi off.

Edited: Gotta fig're out how to get another 40 foot up for television antena for the 42" plasma. Hmmm!

Notice power and other items come from other neighbor's property.
They ain't there buy onc't a year nohow.