Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Leaving Monty in FL

Well we have decided to leave the Monty here in FL at the park. We got a 6 & 6 and don't have to pull it. We talked about it for a week and felt that with the fuel prices and stress of pulling it this was a good plan for us. As most of you know Roger has Parkinson's and this will be much easier for him. We are going to look for a smaller and lighter RV when we get home to use in the summer for our camping trips. (we like the hi-low as we can put the boat on top of it. I have made 3 trips for totes at Wally-world and been packing what I don't want to leave here in the hot FL summer heat, making a file on the putter so I will be able to remember what I did leave here so when its time to come back in Oct I will can remember. lol-- if I remember where to look for the list!!! It is going to seem funny not having this BIG white thing behind us.... Drive safe everyone on your return trips home...

rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
HELLO ROGER AND SUE
There are a lot of folk's that are doing the very same thing, rather that tow both directions at the cost of fuel. I had a couple approach me wanting to rent my RV site in RGV, Mission, Tx. They live in Wisconsin and to tow there unit back home and then return was going to be more expensive than just leasing my site for the whole year. I think it is starting to make sense to a lot of folk's. We have to adjust are thinking right now with the fuel prices the way they are. Your move make's a lot of sense!!!!!! You will find that BIG truck, uses a lot less fuel on the way home. ha ha Have a great one. OH, if you get a chance don't forget BRANSON IS GREAT IN 2008 SAFE TRAVELS john
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like you are working it out, not giving it up. Best wishes going forward.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We sure understand that. At todays diesel price the one way trip home,fuel only is 450.00 FYI we had a Hi-low camper a few years ago. Think it was a 21 maybe 22 footer that had a GVWR of under 5K. It was built like a tank. They are not made in Ind by old world craftsmen but in Butler, Ohio(near Mansfield). They are a well built camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
At one point we also thought of leaving ours down here as well and spending the summer with friends and family in PA and NY but reconsidered. The biggest reason was "hurricane season". YES we are well insured for such an event but it's not the cost of replacing the Monty it's the personal items we don't want to lose. Much rather drag the Monty to PA and NY and pay the fuel price rather than losing these possessions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Hi, Roger and Sue - We are glad that you are moving ahead with a plan. You have reopened our discussions again, too. We are trying to figure what to do when we can not or do not wish to tow any more. We like the winters here in Central Florida and hope to check Southern Texas and maybe Arizona next year. Fuel prices and health seem to be the biggest restricters to travel for us. Best wishes, Jim and Carol
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Best of luck on the new method. Fuel prices are not coming down, but rather going up. I hope that in five years when we're ready to retire that we will be able to afford to do the traveling that we want to be able to do. Our first trip is scheduled to be Alaska.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote