Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Spare Tire and Miscellaneous/Tool Storage

A while back I had seen information on the site that listed where one could purchase a replacement undercarriage attachment that appeared to allow the spare tire to be moved to, and subsequently lowered, by pulling the spare tire to a side of choice. Additionally, there were two covered (one each side), removable tool/ miscellaneous storage units made of hard plastic (?) for storage that extend out ostensibly after removing a stop. It appeared you remove a storage box and slide the spare to that side for access.

I can't remember the company to search the internet so that I can look for one.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or use the unit I am referring to?

I had to change a tire the other day and climbing underneath the 5er and then sliding 50+ pounds back and forth under the 5er was not easy so this device is sounding promising. Also, it may allow me to place miscellaneous tool weight toward the rear of the 5er to reduce pin weight in the bed of the truck.

RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Barry,
I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not. Found it using the SEARCH function and the search words of "spare tire". It was in a topic posted in 2009 under the category about maintenance.

The company is Lippert.

Good luck,
HamRad

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35277
The above link is where I found the info. It was made by ExNavyDiver.
It is the last post on that page.

http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...unt2=254386544
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
George & Rosetta Person (Jay Bird) got what you are describing at the Fall Rally.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
PLAN B- check into the Good Sam Emergency Road Service, let someone else crawl around on the cold/wet ground.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
go to lippert web site, they have what you are looking for.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
Thanks to all for jumping in and helping.
The Lippert Brand is, how you say? Ouch! They are sure proud of that unit.
The one I recall seeing was SOB (I think) and cost $100 less. If I spend that kind of money I need info to provide me comfort I am not going to regret the expenditure. (It's an anal thing I know). What concerns me is that the Lippert site does not have much detail such as: will the boxes lock, how deep are they, will the entire unit fit in the existing position for our Monty (i.e. below gas lines), does it bolt straight in to existing bolt patterns, how much it weighs, etc.? I'll have to call Lippert and see if someone has the answers, unless others have purchased the unit and can help. In the meantime I'll check with Jay Bird and see what he has, and also see if he will share his satisfaction and installation difficulty.
RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RidgecrestDad

A while back I had seen information on the site that listed where one could purchase a replacement undercarriage attachment that appeared to allow the spare tire to be moved to, and subsequently lowered, by pulling the spare tire to a side of choice. Additionally, there were two covered (one each side), removable tool/ miscellaneous storage units made of hard plastic (?) for storage that extend out ostensibly after removing a stop. It appeared you remove a storage box and slide the spare to that side for access.

I can't remember the company to search the internet so that I can look for one.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or use the unit I am referring to?

I had to change a tire the other day and climbing underneath the 5er and then sliding 50+ pounds back and forth under the 5er was not easy so this device is sounding promising. Also, it may allow me to place miscellaneous tool weight toward the rear of the 5er to reduce pin weight in the bed of the truck.
I like that idea and will take a look at the link HamRad provided. Meanwhile, I carry a throw rug that I lay on the ground, lower the spare onto it, then pull the throw rug out to get the tire out. Most of the time, though, I call Good Sam ERS and let them do it.

In any case, this might be an area Keystone could look at - moving that spare to a more accessible area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay, Steve, good idea for getting it down. Do you have any tricks for getting it up? Good Sam changed the tire and took it down but when we had the tires replaced the guys at the shop didn't know how to get it back. We have put off doing it because it looks like we did the slides in to do it. It is in the back of the truck right now and Ed wants to know an easy way to put it where it belongs.
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sue, There is NO EASY WAY to put it back. I crawl under and put the cable with retainer thru the center of wheel, then sneak out and SLOWLY crank the thing up till it takes up slack then continue cranking until its up and tight. Don't ever let someone with an air wrench do it as they can strip the nylon gear. Les Schwab did it to mine in Spokane and had to order a new one. Fortunately we had the tire work done on the way in to town, stayed two weeks, then drove by their place on the way out for them to install. Of course, keeping it in the truck lowers your overall trailer weight also, so there is some good in that.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
If you wind the cable without tension it will knot up in the box. I had a service person change a tire and he tried to crank it up without tension and I had to take the whole thing down and box apart to get the knots out.
Slide the tire under and put the piece on the end of the cable through the hole in the rim. While holding tension on the cable have someone crank it up until the cable gets tight. Then just crank it up in place. I have a nylon strap that holds it in place. I do not trust the cable.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
awaywego, good call. I do as well:

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I use a nylon strap as well. Don't trust the cable alone and don't want to lose the spare if the cable broke or came loose!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I purchased one on the storage boxes with tire carrier from Lippert and had them install it. I am very satisfied with it and unfortunately got to check out the tire carrier on our trip down here to the RGV. I had roads service come and change the tire, but I had to get it out to take to tire shop and of course reinstall the spare after other tire was repaired. Didn't have any problems and I love the storage units too!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I don't know about Ford and Dodge, but that type of cable setup is what GM has been using for years. Only problem we've ever had was the cable got tangled (jumped of the pulley) on our 04 Trail Blazer.