Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Refrigerator problems

Just got back from a 5 day Labor Day outing at the Great American Sheep Drive in Montana, with our 2010 Mountaineer and everything worked great except for the Fridge. We were boondocking so no power ect. I have three batteries so not a power problem and plenty of propane. The problem is that the fridge works fine for a few hours then both the green and the yellow light start flashing meaning the gas flame has gone out. When you turn it to off and back on then it does it's 30 second lighting attempt and most of the time it will relight. Then a few hours later when we check it it's flashing again. It did this all weekend. When I had the generator running it was fine. It only does it on gas. It is a Dometic refrig. Any Idea's?

restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Might try switching propane bottles.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If you use it on propane a lot you may have to clean the chimney. If it dosen't vent properly it will cause extra heat and the frige will shut down.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Yes, I am going to get both bottles topped off today and then see what happens. I sure hope it fixes the problem so that I don't have to take it in for warranty work before winter.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
It may be a problem with the propane regulator--similar thing happened to us
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Well I had the tanks filled and hooked them back up. I am running off the original tank that we used when we picked up the Monty. So far it is running good. I did switch the other tank around thinking it might be the regulator but it acted the same on either side, so I put them back in their original position. I am going to continue trying it on the main today and see if I have any problems. I remember once when I had a problem with my old 5er that someone told me to take the tank out and bang it upside down on the ground to loosen a stuck or partially restricted float in the tank. I guess it worked because I didn't have any more problems with that. The only thing is that with this one the stove and heat work fine on the tank only the refrig is acting wierd.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
If you still have the problem, check the burner tube. Spiders like to get in there and web it up. Happened on mine. Cleaned the tube out and it worked fine. There is a brush made just for the purpose. Swab the tube and blow out it with some air.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
I doubt that it is plugged up, it is new but I guess anything could be possible
Old 09-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
After leaving the fridge all night, this morning the lights were flashing and it was pretty warm so must have went off last night early. I guess now it's time to take it in for warranty work. I thought it might be the bottle but it must be a problem with the fridge itself. The stove and furnace work fine.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Just got our Monty back from the local dealer. They were very prompt in fixing the problem. They found that there was a wire that was blocking the igniter so they repositioned it. Then they discovered that the gas pressure to the refrigerator was very low so they replaced the regulator and that fixed the problem. They still had to get in their digs about us buying the Monty from a dealer out of state, but I told them it never was a problem with their service department but with the sales department and pricing. When I told them that we saved over $21,000.00 by purchasing from the out of state dealer they told me that they couldn't blame me.