Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Solar power panels-size?

Hello,
Since we love dry camping in our 06 2955-it is high time I installed a solar panel. Problem is that I want to get the best appropriate size to do the job [more than a trickle charger]. I have no idea if there is a general good wattage to purchase. At the same time I also do not want to purchase far bigger than I need. Just something that will maintain the batteries at peak as much as possible. I live in CA so the sun has agreed to cooperate most of the season.
Thanks for any information.
Jim n' Kathy in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jim,
Here is a good site to visit for most of your solar questions. There are guide lines to follow. You will need to decide how much usage you will have to have.

Solar
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Jim,
My experience with solar is that you should determine exactly what you think you need (how many amps you need) and then go with it. What we did was contact these people and told them what we were intending to do. The guy that owns this company is Jim Palmer, a member of the Escapees RV Club, and he is excellent. In fact, he has repaired a lot of solar installations performed by a myriad of others. His prices are right. By the way, he has his company in Lake Charles, FL where he has no commercial electricity. Everything on his property is solar controlled. Even the showers he installed on the property for visiting RVers has the hot water heated using solar. If he can live with it, so can anyone else.

Just make sure you know what you need. Also, you might plan a little for the future because you wouldn't want to come up short.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thank you Joe and Lucy,
That is great information.
I will follow up soon.
Jim and Kathy, Folsom, CA
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We had 2 panels installed at Quartzite last year through these people. http://www.flexenergydelsol.com/
This is a flexible mat that lays flat on your roof. No wind noise, no adjusting, no wind resistance. We are happy with what we got and will probably get back with the company to have additional panels installed this winter.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim-n-Kathy

Hello,
Since we love dry camping in our 06 2955-it is high time I installed a solar panel. Problem is that I want to get the best appropriate size to do the job [more than a trickle charger]. I have no idea if there is a general good wattage to purchase. At the same time I also do not want to purchase far bigger than I need. Just something that will maintain the batteries at peak as much as possible. I live in CA so the sun has agreed to cooperate most of the season.
Thanks for any information.
Jim n' Kathy in Folsom, CA
Hi Jim,
I use to live in Rancho Cordova, Placerville, and Pollock Pines.

I went with Stick on panels, because the can be walked on if needed. I have had no problem with them. I have two pvl-68 and two pvl-136 rated for 408 Watts total. Haven't had chance to do dry camping yet, so can't tell you if that is right amount or not, but it is all room I had while keeping a walk way down the middle. I used a Morningstar TriStar MPPT controller. What every you go with you want an MPPT control to get the most out of your panels.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We had one Kyocera 135W panel installed at Qsite this year, and couldn't be happier. We run all the normal DC stuff, plus limited AC 110 (television, etc.) and have never had a problem. When we had it installed, though, we specified heavier gauge wire and a junction box so we could upgrade as necessary. For extended stays and uncooperative weather, we carry a Honda 2000 generator, but haven't used it since the solar was installed. This is with two 6v golf cart batteries.

If you take the plunge, be sure to leave room for expansion of your system.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Jim,

I have one solar panel and two 12 volt batteries on my 2010 3150RL. We did a five day trip and an eight day trip dry camping in the Eastern Sierra this spring and was able to survive on battery power alone (no hook-ups and no generator). We did conserve power usage at night, limiting the amount of lights that were on at the same time. I am going to look into adding a second solar panel so we don't have to be so conservative. I've had solar on other travel trailers and fifth wheels that I have owned and love it!

Mitch Vaughn
VaughnMB is offline   Reply With Quote