Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Solar roof mounting

Just curious of how solar panels are attached to the roof so they don't fly off and the roof doesn't leak. May consider thisafter my warranty is up. Thanks, Mike

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
From what I've read and a couple of friends I talked to who did this, the panels are fastened to the roof with pretty sturdy screws or other fasteners. The installer will also use a rubber compatible roof sealant to prevent any leakage. This seems to be very reliable.

One friend installed 4 panels and another installed only 2. I would guess that depends on your needs and funds.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Robbie (simonsrf) has 6 on his rig.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have four on our rig. Screws and Dicor caulk. Been there over six years. No problem. No leaks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mojavemike,
You should be here at Quartzsite. John, WorkerB, and the Q group are installing 6 panels on his rig. They made great progress yesterday and will probably finish today. He should have all the power he can use once they get the panels all dialed in. Hopefully there will be some pictures.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Mojavemike,
You should be here at Quartzsite. John, WorkerB, and the Q group are installing 6 panels on his rig. They made great progress yesterday and will probably finish today. He should have all the power he can use once they get the panels all dialed in. Hopefully there will be some pictures.

Good luck.
HamRad
We are planning to take our maiden voyage to Q after we get our Monty the first part of February.

Pictures would be great. I am thinking they are laid flat on the root and now on stand offs.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Mike,
As to the actual mounting.... I think you are correct. They are mounted flat with about a 2 or 3 inch standoff. Lots of caulking to prevent leaks. But I have exhausted ALL my knowledge about the solar stuff. One of the real workers hopefully will step forward and explain how the process really works and perhaps even post some pictures.

Good deal on making your maiden voyage. There may still be a remnant of MOCers here at Q in February. Just check in here on the Forum and if there is anyone still here I'm sure they'd welcome you to join them.

Good luck.
Dennis
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Robbie (simonsrf) has 6 on his rig.
There are several people we know who have six. WorkerB just installed 6 here at the Quartzsite Rally....piece of cake, a drill motor, nice screws, stud finder...and voilla! No rocket science here.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I think I will wait for a year till the waranty is up before I start putting holes in the roof. Sure they come in handy boondocking. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

I think I will wait for a year till the waranty is up before I start putting holes in the roof. Sure they come in handy boondocking. Thanks for the info.
Mike,
You have a long wait if you're waiting for the warranty to expire on the roof. I believe it is good for 12 years!

I talked with the guys who put on the solar panels and I think one of them has some pics and hopefully some will get posted soon.

Later,
Dennis
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Warranty???

If you can put a vent through the roof and not have it leak, a screw is no big deal.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:

Quote:

Mike,
You have a long wait if you're waiting for the warranty to expire on the roof. I believe it is good for 12 years!

I talked with the guys who put on the solar panels and I think one of them has some pics and hopefully some will get posted soon.

Later,
Dennis
I may be dead by then, so a few holes will not be a big thing. Just have to figure out what I need and get the money. What does a system run to keep your batteries charged. I see some add more batteries, panels and inverter. Can you reasonably add enough to run your tv and microwave through an inverter?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Later,
Dennis
I may be dead by then, so a few holes will not be a big thing. Just have to figure out what I need and get the money. What does a system run to keep your batteries charged. I see some add more batteries, panels and inverter. Can you reasonably add enough to run your tv and microwave through an inverter?
mojavemike,
We run three computers, two printers, a copy/printer, a scanner, TV and all the appliances on our solar setup. They're not all running at the same time, with the exception that at times we are running all three computers, the TV and one printer all at one time.

Orv
Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #14
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

Later,
Dennis
mojavemike,
We run three computers, two printers, a copy/printer, a scanner, TV and all the appliances on our solar setup. They're not all running at the same time, with the exception that at times we are running all three computers, the TV and one printer all at one time.

Orv
Orv, How many watts are you running in solar and what is the ball park cost on that? Thanks, Mike
Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

[quote]quote:Originally posted by ols1932

[quote]Originally posted by mojavemike

Quote:
Originally posted by HamRad

Quote:
Originally posted by mojavemike

mojavemike,

Orv
Orv, How many watts are you running in solar and what is the ball park cost on that? Thanks, Mike
mojavemike,
I'm running 500 watts with our solar panels. We use a ProSine 2.0 inverter (only because it provides as close to a pure sine wave as an inverter can provide). Computer equipment likes the purest sine wave it can get. Our entire setup, Lifeline D8 AGM batteries included was right around $7,000 installed (if I remember correctly). Because I was able to provide the labor to run the wires and help attach the panels, I was given some reduction in total cost -- how much I don't remember.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Mike,
If you add panels to a new roof you will not be alone. I will be adding 4 135watt panels to a roof that is only a month old. My last holes in the roof for an antenna, the roof was only 6 months old.
I use Dicor 501 roof sealant and have not had any problem with leaks.
Here are a couple of sites if you would like to check out component prices.
AZ Wind & Solar
Boat & RV Accessories
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Joe, Thanks for the links. ThSaved to my favoritese AZ Wind and Solar was real informative.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:23 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Joe, Thanks for the links. ThSaved to my favoritese AZ Wind and Solar was real informative.
Mike,

Check this one out too....AM SOLAR. The education page is very well laid out and informative.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:

Mike,

Check this one out too....AM SOLAR. The education page is very well laid out and informative.
Exccelant link! Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #20
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Mike,
As Hamrad said earlier on this post I added 6 panels to the Monty a few days ago. Since installation I have not had a perfect day of sunshine so I can't speak from experience. We had one fair day since installation and I was excited to see my 4 AGM batteries fully charged in 4 hours. The rest of the day ran the inverter, 5 cu. ft. freezer 2 laptops, electric coffee pot, printer, lights, TV & Satellite receiver. These were use as needed but not all at once. I will post some pictures later today. We are at Quartzsite and need to run to town. The cost was reasonable but I shopped around and found great deals. Some folks like to save the money and do it themselves. Others pay more and have their system installed. Either way you will not be sorry you installed solar. We may still be here when you arrive so keep in touch and you can climb on the roof and have a look. Regards,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote