Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Been around once or twice on this item but here in Kansas we have two sets of weights to worry about -- 1st is the 10K lb trailer.If you have a 'car hauler' or similar - local police will look real hard at the 10K weight. If it is an RV (or car hauler with appropriate living quarters) then you are tied to the combined 26K weight limit before you need to have a CDL. Now, notice I said car hauler -- thanks to a change in the law a couple of years ago, a trailer that 'can carry' livestock for sale, whether it has living accomodations or not, is bound by the 10K rule -- the driver must have a CDL. The reasoning is that the trailer may be used to carry animals to one of the surrounding states for sale - therefore the CDL requirement. This really put a bunch of students and their parents in a bind a couple of years ago when our local University sponsored a collegiate level Rodeo. The local KDOT authorities along with state and local police did a 'safety' check when the people were leaving. If their trailers were placarded at 10K or more, they required CDLs of the drivers before they allowed them to depart. Several students and families had to wait till the following Monday to go and get CDLs before they could leave with their trailers. Was a bigger hassle for those with MDTs (M2s) with air brakes because they also had to get the air brake endorsements. Again, RVs are exempt unless you are carrying livestock (or can carry livestock) for sale. Gotta love Kansas.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Several years ago I purchased a car hauler rated at 10,100 lbs. and when it was built I paid them extra to de-rate it to 9,950 on the placard just because of what skypilot mentioned
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I'm thinkin theres a real need for fake Montana plates !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Skypilot,
What you described is pretty much exactly what CA has. I was surprised to learn of the horse trailer process. It sure seems like that CDL thing puts a burden on the private horse owners who just use their horses for fun.
You'd think they'd have some sort of exemption.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Many states feel if the use of the trailer over 10,000 lbs can generate revenue then it is commercial and requires a CDL. This could include a race car, show car, race horse, show horse, you get the idea. I don't know of any that are currently enforcing this but the language is there. Now if you want to really get extreme if you are tranporting fuel for your car, tractor, etc. you should also have shipping papers, it can get crazy
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I agree with Charlie on the hauling of race cars etc. When I hauled my race car around the country it was required of me to have hazmat type papers for the fuel I carried, along with a bottle of nitrogen. Only had shipping papers for nitrogen, but not the fuel ( alky), and was never checked, but have an accident, then look out.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote