Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Little Rhody
Established Member

M.O.C. #7566
compartment door surface lifting

Hi All, We purachased our Montana Sept 07 and love it, but our basement door's outer skin have developed large area bubbles, as if unlaminating in areas . We have the Gel Coat. Don't know if they gel the doors. I'm pretty sure Keystone won't want to help past one year ownership. Do I take it to a fiber glass shop for repair, or is there a remedy that I can tackle? Thanks.

Little Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Little Rhody,
I had a small bubble in one of my doors and the dealer could order one for me. They came with the frame attached. I did not take any action because my bubble was very small and has not grown any.

In days gone by a fix for bubbles in side walls was to drill a small hole and shoot glue in behind the skin and then use a 2x4 braced against a wall or something solid and then over the area with the bubble and let it dry. It worked more than once for some.

Your door might be able to be fixed that way with some sort of weight on it. Then again it might be just as easy to order one with the help of the dealer. I think I would call Team Montana first and see if they can help out. Customer Service and ask for Team Montana 1-866-425-4369

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Fiver Get You Ten
Established Member

M.O.C. #8419
About 2 months ago I had the same problem with the door to the convience center. Brought it up with my dealer (Northgate RV, Ringgold, GA -Billy Yates, Owner) and he called Keystone and asked them if they would do anything about it. Since my 2008 3400RL was about 6 months out of warranty, they balked. However, Billy stepped up to the plate and ordered a complete new door assembly for me at his expense. This is not the first time NGRV has gone beyond the call of duty for me!
Fiver Get You Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had some bubbles on our 2001 Montana although not on the locker doors. Ours was still under warranty and fixed at Keystone's expense. The repair was to cut out the bad spots and replace with good sections. Fox RV in Middlebury, IN did an excellent job on it.

They told me there are two causes for this problem. One is insufficient glue between layers (don't know the terms) that allows the delamination. If this were the case it might be possible that the door manufacturer would stand behind the product and possibly has a warranty that is still in effect for you. I believe our doors have a sticker on the inside with the mfr's name and maybe a phone number.

The second reason they explained to me was the cause in our situation but doesn't apply to yours. I had our dealer caulk around the bottom of the shower surround because I thought the factory just forgot to do it. That kept condensation from getting out and it had to go somewhere. So it worked it's way into the sidewalls, causing the delamination.

Good luck. I hope you can get this fixed or replaced at minimal or no cost.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote