Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
AGM Batteries

Imagine my chagrin after installing two Group 30 AGM batteries in our 3400RL, to having my dealer tell me "those are the wrong batteries for this application". Anybody else ever heard this regarding AGM sealed batteries?

deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Look at this site for some excellent info.

www.rv-dreams.com/our-rv-electrical.html

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
1 question, are they deep cycle batteries??
If not than they are the wrong batteries.

HERE is a lot of good info on batteries

On Edit....
I just found this about AGM...
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries.
AGM batteries are sealed, and require no additional water. AGM batteries are spill proof and may be used in a semi-enclosed area such as an RV's storage compartment. AGM batteries cost much more than golf cart batteries. If your deep cycle batteries are going to be stored in a semi-enclosed space, AGM batteries should be used.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had two Lifeline D8 AGM batteries in our unit since the Fall of 2003. Each battery carries 255 ampere hours of charge. I've had no problem. They were recommended by John Palmer of Palmer Enterprises who is a solar power expert.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
AGM batteries are all we use. They are safer and give longer and more reliable service than the other deep cycle batteries. Your RV dealer doesn't know batteries. Here, where I work, we use AGM batteries in numerous marine and land operations. Some of our installations have dozens of AGM batteries in solar systems that have replaced deisel generators. I have AGM's that have been charged, stored for several years and still have well over 1/2 a charge left. In applications where they do not deep recyle, (20%) charge loss, they seem to just last indefinately. Many of our remote navigational aids in the northern areas are left on into the winter. The AGM batteries discharge to about 20% remaining then the lights automatically shut off. 4 months later when daylight periods are long enough to recharge the batteries (solar panels) the lights come on and remain reliable the whole season. Some of the batteries have been in situ for over 4 years without any problem. They can even freeze and come back the next season. We change them out after 5 years and I have several "used" units in the shop that we use for back-up for our large response trailers for lighting etc.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
A few years ago, when I was looking into replacement batteries, I asked Iota (maker of our converter) if our converter was suitable for AGM batteries, and their reply was that it was not suitable. Apparently AGM batteries require a lower charging voltage than normal lead acid batteries. Here is a link with some info. http://www.rversonline.org/ArtAGM.html

Now, I have read here that many people are using AGMs successfully, so you can make of it what you like. For myself, I went with two Trojan T105 6v golf cart batteries. This type of battery seems give the best value for the dollar in terms of amp hours. That said, AGMs seem to be a very good alternative if you don't mind the initial cost.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

One down side to AGM batteries is, if left in a state of total discharge for very long, it will totally kill them a lot quicker than it will kill a conventional lead/acid unit. Sometimes you can bring a conventional battery back from the dead by using a charger that has a special charging cycle for de-sulfating the plates, according to some people, it doesn't work as well for the AGM type.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

One down side to AGM batteries is, if left in a state of total discharge for very long, it will totally kill them a lot quicker than it will kill a conventional lead/acid unit.
I guess the only time that they may be left in a state of total discharge for very long would be those that are left in storage. But I wouldn't recommend the AGM battery for those who may just be using their rig for occasional camping or vacation time because of the expense. If you have AGM batteries and solar panels and your unit is stored outside, you never have to worry about the batteries running down or overcharging.

Orv
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
So far I like what I am reading about AGM.

1 question...How much are they??
Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
When I went to buy batteries about 2 weeks ago, Golf Cart Batteries were about $100/ea. The AGMs were about $225/ea. Being a weekender/vacationer user I went the Golf Cart route.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

So far I like what I am reading about AGM.

1 question...How much are they??
Glenn,
Mine are the big ones -- 255 AHrs each -- cost was, if I remember correctly, about $325 each. A lot of money but provided us with what we needed for Marge's use of the computer for website maintenance when we are dry camping.

Orv
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well, I try to avoid dry camping as much as possible. The closest I ever came was when we did spend one night at a Wal Mart and one at a Flying J. Me thinks I will pass on the AGMs.