Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I know the charts say 3420 pounds max at 80 psi, but I'm almost positive the Missions I have removed say 3500 pounds. I will look around tomorrow to see if any of them are left in my junk bin.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lonnie, while in Tucson last year at the Spring Rally, I asked the Keystone rep about the ST tires. He informed me that it was a requirement to maintain RVIA certification, perhaps he meant DOT instead. Just passing this on for what it's worth.

Washley1, Once you get your rig loaded and have it weighed, I think you will find the pin (hitch) weight will be more than stated, thereby, lowering the loaded weight on you tires. The last time I had mine weighed (an '06 3400), the pin weight was right at 3,000 lbs. Don't quote me on this, the best way is to weigh........(whoa, Poet Laureate stuff)..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Well, after over 30 years pulling a pop up, I have never had to weigh anything, at least not since the days of my youth when I drove big trucks for a living. I know that there are public scales available, but how do I figure my hitch weight? Is there a way to check individual tire or axle weights? Man, am I green!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #24
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Once you find a public or CAT scales, weigh the truck by itself, preferably fully loaded, fuel, pax and any cargo and full tank. Then attach trailer and pull back onto scale with JUST the truck with trailer attached, NOT the trailer tires. The difference should be your pin weight. Then pull the trailer forward where only the trailer tires are on the scale, pretty far forward, this is the trailer weight on the axles, OR you could pull the trailer and truck on the scales and weigh, then deduct the truck weight and pin weight and this should be your trailer weight. You might want to drive by the scale place and ask when would be a good time to do all this as they can sometimes get quite busy with commercial loads and not want to bother with RV's. To weigh each side individually you could contact a Fixed Base Operator at your local airport and ask about portable scales they or their maintenance staff use to weigh aircraft.

Someone else may be around to give more info about where to weigh things. I had mine done at a Rally by the RV Safety Education Foundation. You could also check RVSEF.com to see where they will be next and anymore questions about weighing.

Hope this helps.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
If you want to know all of your weights;

1. Weigh the truck without the trailer, both axles on the scale.
2. Pull forward until the front axle is off the scale to get the rear axle weight.
3. Subtract the rear axle weight from the combined weight to get the front axle weight.
4. Hook up the trailer and go back to the scale.
5. Pull the front wheels of the truck onto the scale and get that weight.
6. Pull forward until the rear wheels of the truck are on the scale and get that weight.
7. Pull forward again until the front axle of the trailer is on the scale and get that weight.
8. Pull forward again until all axles of truck and trailer are the scale and get that weight.

To get the pin weight subtract #1 from #6.
To get the combined weight of the trailer axles subtract #6 from #8.
To get only the front trailer axle weight subtract #6 from #7.
To get only the rear trailer axle weight #7 from #8.

I know this sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Edit - We must have been answering at the same time Phil, you beat me to the draw.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Phil and Lonnie--thanks to both for the tips on weighing. I'll give it a shot. And I will be interested to hear how wide spread the Hankooks are. I really need to get something going soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #27
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:By me LonnieB

In order to get the full carrying capacity your Big Sky is capable of, you will have to use a G (14 ply) rated tire which can carry 3750 pounds at 110 psi. Unfortinately there are only a couple of brands of these available and Michelin isn't one of them. The Goodyear LT235/85R16RST G614 is the most popular and they are rated for 70 mph. Another one I have had good luck with is the Hankook 7.50R16 F19 load range G.
I'm sorry folks, I have made a statement that is incorrect. The Hankook F19 IS a 14 ply tire, but the max load IS NOT 3750 pounds at 110 psi. I read the actual numbers on the tire and find it to be 3330 pounds max load at 105 max psi.
As far as availability goes, there are 500 independent dealers in the USA with 3000 sales locations nationwide.
I apologize for misleading you all and assure you it was not intentional.

Quote:
quote:By me LonnieB

I know the charts say 3420 pounds max at 80 psi, but I'm almost positive the Missions I have removed say 3500 pounds. I will look around tomorrow to see if any of them are left in my junk bin.
I found a couple of ST235/80R16E Missions and a Freestar in my junk bin. Both brands are rated at 3520 pounds max load at 80 max psi.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #28
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I talked to Keystone today, and boy am I upset. They would not budge from their use of Carlisle tires. They would not accept responsibility for putting crap on the rigs. They would only recommend the OE tires. They would not talk about what I might upgrade to. When I told them about all I have read here and other places on the net, they said "So what? You can find anything on the net." They would not give me any info about my rims, and what they might carry. It was simply CYA. I have lost all confidence in these tires, and now most of my confidence in Keystone.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmmmmmm/////????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Just to let you all know I have continued my research into this mess. Some folks who had bad Carlisles have gotten help form manufacturers, most have not. I have seen postings as far back as 05 and as recent as my own, many of them far worse horror stories than mine. Keystone stone walled me today. Carlisle did the same. Tomorrow I am going back to my dealer, Lazy Days RV in Tampa, and I am going to start hollering. I intend to print out a pile of these posts and send them on to Keystone, Carlisle, DOT, and maybe a few good lawyers(oxymoron!). If not already, some one is going to die because of these tires. Anyone else game to get on the band wagon?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #31
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Instead of raising my blood pressure I just went out and brought good tires. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Washley1,
I think Bigmurf has the right idea. If you're not happy with the tires that came on your rig then change them to something you like.

If Keystone has not changed after all this time regarding the tires they certainly are not going to change because they get a few emails and letters from you and your many friends.

If what they were doing was illegal then you might have a good reason to complain. But they are not doing anything illegal. Good luck but save your system some stress and just get the tires you want on your rig and enjoy this great country.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #33
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
HamRad and BigMurf--I completely agree with your arguments that I should just find the right tires and carry on, and I thank you for worrying about my BP, but it is hard to see a dangerous situation for all of us and just put my head in the sand. It is not about money for repairs and delays in a trip, it's about potentially saving a few lives. The other side of the coin is finding a tire I CAN live with. For example, Michelin RIBs sound good, but seem to not come rated high enough to handle my rig. There are a few others the might fit the bill, but I do not know who to trust to help me make the decision.

I'm going back to Lazy Days this afternoon. I'll let y'all know how far I don't get.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #34
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote: By bigmurf.

Instead of raising my blood pressure I just went out and brought good tires. g
Quote:
quote:By HamRad

Washley1,
I think Bigmurf has the right idea. If you're not happy with the tires that came on your rig then change them to something you like.

If Keystone has not changed after all this time regarding the tires they certainly are not going to change because they get a few emails and letters from you and your many friends.

If what they were doing was illegal then you might have a good reason to complain. But they are not doing anything illegal. Good luck but save your system some stress and just get the tires you want on your rig and enjoy this great country.
I'll have to agree. Keystone is NOT doing anything illegal by installing these tires. They may not be top quality, but they DO meet the DOT and RVIA regulations.
I did the same thing bigmurf did, bought new tires that I knew I could depend on.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #35
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB
[[As for your wheels being able to handle 110 psi, you will have to remove one and look at the back side to find the rating.
Our 2008 3400 Montana wheels have identification on inside of the wheel that they are rated to 110 PSI but as Lonnie indicated to Washley1 he too should inspect his own wheels as well. FYI. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #36
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
My rims are stamped 100# on the inside. I bought Michelin Ribs and I have 7,000# axels. In order to exceed the weight ratings on my tire I also
have to exceed the gross stamped trailer weight rating. I don`t plan on doing that so I don`t see the problem.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #37
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The 1st big problem is going 70 MPH as we all know its 75 , not 70 slow down and enjoy the view,, next buy the tire you want and like , not 1 the joe says is good ,, if you are off the rd every 100 miles or so and the tires are hot . take a break and enjoy a pepsi or coke , they will cool down ,, we never go over 400 a day but try for 300 a day and then its enjoyable.. sailer,, i had lots of tire problems in 06 and axel problems at the same time ,, the axel that says 7000 lbs is only good for 6740 lbs not 7000 as they have said , check with dexter ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Folks,
The OP of this topic asked a very specific question about tires. Can we please stay on topic! This is not the place to post about the problems with Missions. If you're going to post in this topic please stay on topic.

Thank you,

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #39
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks, guys, for all your comments. I went to Lazy Days yesterday, and got some help and some answers. My original sales rep called his Keystone rep and asked for some help with my problems. We looked at the rims, and determined the PSI rating must be inside the tire, but we have tracked down the manufacturer, and with the Keystone rep's help should have those numbers soon. If the pressure is OK it looks like we will bite the financial bullet and go with the Goodyear G rated tires, and I am currently looking for the best price possible. This has been quite an education, and I will know to do even more research next time around. I am running nitrogen in my truck tires, and I will probably put that in the trailer tires as well. Safety first, last, and always, as I heard somewhere in my youth!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #40
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
When I replace my tires I would like to go with a heavier tire like the Hankooks that are rated @ 3330 pounds max load at 105 max psi. But if my rims are only rated at 85psi will running them at that pressure cause damage to the tire? I know I will not be able to carry the weight listed on the side wall. But wouldn't it still be a heaver duty tire with a higher load carrying capacity than the E rated Goodyear Marathons inflated to the same pressure?
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote