Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Additional Mor Ryde Suspension Question

As we are looking at a new Montana/Big Sky, the previous post on the Mor Ryde Suspension created some questions in my mind. First, for those who have it, would you do it again? We travel off road with our unit and am curious based on some of Brad's comments. Second, are the wet bolts part of the suspension or is that a separate install? If so, can you order it that way? I am not going for the disk brakes yet, so I'm interested in just the suspension as it would come from Keystone. Thanks in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Unless Keystone has changed their installation, their version of the Mor/Ryde does not have wet bolts. The suspension is fine on my rig, however, if I were to travel inordinately rough roads, I would have the frame strengthened in the area where the Mor/Ryde is attached to it.

There is a difference in the Mor/Ryde equalizer and the individual wheel Mor/Ryde suspension. Keystone installed the Mor/Ryde equalizer on my 2008 Big Sky. I do not know of a Keystone installed single wheel suspension.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, as with Stiles' rig, the wet bolts did not come with ours, either.

As far as whether I'd get MorRyde again, you bet. What we have as standard on the 2007 Montana is the MorRyde RE. All it is is a rubber equalizer.

It was explained during the MorRyde seminar at the 2006 Goshen Rally that the older suspension allows 2 inches of suspension travel before bottoming. Any additional movement is transferred directly to the frame. The MorRyde RE allows twice that, 4 inches, before bottoming. I would think that would be an advantage on rough roads.

Also, the RE will not lift the rig as much for a given amount of board under a wheel. I'm not sure if that's because of the longer travel. I've not found that a problem at all, but just wanted to bring it to your attention.

I'm convinced the ride is considerably smoother on our 3400 than it was on our 3295 with the older suspension. We once left a drinking glass on the counter next to the sink. When we arrived at our destination it was still there. However, that is very close to being directly over the axles so would probably have the least amount of movement. Still, I was impressed. We have had things move in the trailer when we've had rough roads. But I think it's less than with the older suspension.

Ron, we got the wet bolt kit installed while in Goshen having the 7k axles installed on our rig last summer. Email me if you would like to know the name of the shop that did the work. They were highly recommended by Dexter (for the axles) and I'm very pleased with their work.

We also got the self-adjusting brakes which had just come out from Dexter at that time. I wonder if these are now standard on the Montana? I am pretty sure they're using 7k axles now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ron, I can tell you that the MorRyde IS System is NOT available thru Keystone as it would raise the base price considerably.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I said this once before. There is a difference between the Mor/Ryde Individual Wheel Suspension (IS) and the Mor/Ryde equalizer (RE). What is common on new rigs from Keystone is the Mor/Ryde RE and is installed by Keystone, but not with the wet bolts.

It is easy to get confused because both systems are Mor/ryde brand and part of the suspension system, but they are entirely different. The Mor/Ryde IS is only an after market addition and is quite expensive. On the newer Montanas, it is the equalizer that is installed by Keystone. These systems are not mixed. If you have one, you do not have the other.

A Dexter wet bolt kit can be purchased from Mor/Ryde for about $100+ and can be owner installed in much the same way wet bolt kits were installed on the older models, if you are handy.

From now on, it would be helpful to identify which Mor/ryde system is the system being discussed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ron,

As stiles said, the factory suspension is the RE, not the IS. The Mor-Ryde RE is a standard feature of the Montana so it's not really a choice. However after having both I do know that I would not pay additional money for the RE system if it were an option, nor would I pay the money to have the RE system retrofitted onto an existing older unit. To me, the money would be better spent on other available systems such as the rubber torsion axles (Torflex) by Dexter or even the Equaflex by Trailair.

I am truly not a rubber shear fan, in any application. I much prefer air or torsion.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for the clarification on the difference in suspensions. We are still trying to decide whether we should upgrade or hold onto our cash. It's a case of there may never be a better time to buy and at the same time, having cash on hand and reducing payments is a safe move given current economic conditions. We have quite a few miles on our 2005 3400 and it is still in great shape. I had the suspension checked at the beginning of last season and it was fine, including the bolts. So, I guess it is one of those things on whether or not to add them or not if we do buy a new unit. Thanks again.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

As we are looking at a new Montana/Big Sky, the previous post on the Mor Ryde Suspension created some questions in my mind. First, for those who have it, would you do it again? We travel off road with our unit and am curious based on some of Brad's comments. Second, are the wet bolts part of the suspension or is that a separate install? If so, can you order it that way? I am not going for the disk brakes yet, so I'm interested in just the suspension as it would come from Keystone. Thanks in advance.
Because we had the Individual Suspension axles installed on ours at Mor/ryde, I can't comment on the suspension that comes with the units. However, I can comment on the fact that I would do it all over again, and if we were to purchase another unit, Mor/ryde would get our business for installation of the IS.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We have had ours for about 6 months. The camper that we traded in was a 28' TT. Aside from the weight difference the Monty pulls much better. We have the Mor/ryde.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote