Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Freezing LCD TV?

I have a question. I thought that campers were made to be kept outside in freezing weather as long as the pipes etc. were blown out and the antifreeze put in them. This months issue of Trailer Life a reader (Kendal Wilcox)asked about his LCD TV freezing up and they said that it would be best to remove them if the temps would be below 40*F for a long period of time.
We have already had the below freezing temps for quite some time so will they be junk now?
Not only that but I told the DW that everything would be fine with it and they were made to be kept outside year round without damage and then I read about this! Not good

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have the Visio

The manual calls out an operating temperature range, and a storage temperature range. The low temp for storage is -4F. I pull it in the winter. Besides, Keystone left the TV stand under the bed so we use it in the winter at home for the kids video games.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
This is a good question. I'd like to know too. I can say this much: I know nothing lcd TV's, but I know someone that has one mounted outside on their back porch. The only protection from the elements it ever gets is a cover. It gets very cold in Oklahoma, but apparently the TV has survived being outside in much lower temperatures than that and still works fine. This may just be a special case, but I mentioned that to make you feel better just in case, because there is still a chance your lcd could be fine if theirs was. I also don't know if it damaged the fine-tune quality of the TV - it was used for football games mostly, and not much else, so a bunch of men sitting around drinking beer probably would not notice or care if the quality suffered, lol.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Contrary to popular belief, LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Technology does not involve any sort of liquid whatsoever. LCD panels use tiny microchips that "twist" open to allow light to pass through the display to your eyes. There is no risk of these Crystal "twisters" to freeze. They can get cold, and their "twisting" can be reduced however, but that's about it. I do suggest allow the tv to warm up before use"

Google "Liquid Crystal" for a in depth explaination of how they work.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I just purchased a 26" LCD TV. The specifications state that the operating range is 32F to 95F. What that means to me is that some component of that TV may start to malfunction below or above those specifications. The specifications apply to the unit as a whole and not to a particular part unless noted.

As for the LCD portion, the only safe way to know if the LCD portion will survive extreme cold is to contact the manufacturer if the specifications do not indicate what the LCD operating temperature extremes are, just to be on the safe side.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
The links below give a lot of info on LCDs. Rich is right on. It has to get down to -60 degrees for an extended period of time for things to really freeze up solid. The lower the temps the LCD unit may not have a fast response rate. From what I read there is not much to worry about freezing which is contrary to the Trailer Life Article.
When I bought a laptop a few years back and the salesman told me it would freeze if I left it in the car in the cold. He was trying to sell me an extended warranty also.

http://www.dciincorporated.com/products/overview.html
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm/printable
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's not the term liquid that concerns me - Jack Daniels is liquid and I leave it in the trailer during the winter.

Even though LCD is not technically liquid until heated electronically (which is why they work poorly when cold), the manufacturer still has recommendations for it's storage:

Visio

-20 degrees C is -4 degrees F

I have no reason to challenge the manufacturer recommendations on storage, regardless if I think I understand their technolgy better than they do. I always loose that way. I don't leave my laptop or Nuvi in freezing weather either.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most every Electronic device has a "operating range" and it is best to stay withing those manufacturers Ratings and spec's. Remember though they are not "legal requirements" only manufacturers suggestions..( I could not resist)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Most every Electronic device has a "operating range" and it is best to stay withing those manufacturers Ratings and spec's. Remember though they are not "legal requirements" only manufacturers suggestions..( I could not resist)
Actually it is a "specification", which is neither a legal requirement or a suggestion. Keep it in context.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Brad,
Where is your Monty? I'll be right over for some JD & soda.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

Brad,
Where is your Monty? I'll be right over for some JD & soda.
Jerry
Jerry, it's between you and I so if you get there first, kick on the furnace! I just restocked with antifreeze of multiple variaties - pink stuff for monty, Kentucky stuff for Bradley.....
Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
When they ship those units across the country in the winter there is no heat in that trailer. Therefore I don't think you have much to worry about. However I would let it come up to room temperature before applying power.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I was told that the cold would be a problem with the plasma sets but not the LCD's. Can anyone confirm this???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Are those those little screens used in trucks and cars LCDs? They are built in and some sit out in real cold weather. Also I wonder about those built in GPS units in trucks and cars. Lots of skiers with those here in CO.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Big discussion on this recently over on RV.Net. I personally leave mine in the fiver over the winter with no worries. As mentioned if I would want to watch TV in it some Saturday, I would let the furnace fire up awhile before turning it on.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Key words in my post were "operating temperature."

The other poster's key words were "bring it to operating temperature."

A frozen component that has heat (in the form of electricity) applied may go snap, crackle and pop. Once that smoke escapes, you have to send it back where the Marathons came from and have the smoke repacked into the unit. That can be expensive.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I was told that the cold would be a problem with the plasma sets but not the LCD's. Can anyone confirm this???
Phil,

That's what I've heard too. I don't have a plasma and have no plans to get one but interesting information anyway.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Weekenders

Big discussion on this recently over on RV.Net. I personally leave mine in the fiver over the winter with no worries. As mentioned if I would want to watch TV in it some Saturday, I would let the furnace fire up awhile before turning it on.
Just noticed this on the thread you mentioned Weekender and thought it was a good point for the discussion here.

"why does everybody assume the freezing point of water to be a critical point? There is certainly no water in an LCD (you have other problems if there is). Liquid nitrogen does just fine at -330 degrees F."

As I read the RVNet thread, some of the other posts would indicate that early LCD displays had freeze problems such as gas pumps, but technology has changed. Other threads would indicate that LCDs actually do freeze and thaw in storage and it doesn't matter, but applying electricity to a frozen one can cause permanent damage.

All interesting stuff.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Thanks for the comments. I will warm the camper up before trying to use it. Actually it will be warmish outside before the camper even gets used again. Hurry up spring
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Here is the link to the LCD discussion on RV.Net

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote