Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
They're back

Remember those stinky little lady bug looking beetles? Well, they are back, at least here in Central Texas. There is another beetle that has joined them. I call it the "Idiot Beetle" because when it falls on its back, it can't turn over, so it struggles until it dies.

I don't know how or where they get in, but I find about 10 per day crawling across the ceiling. My electronic bug zapper (that looks like a small tennis racket) sure comes in handy. It is a lot better than mashing them and releasing the stink.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Well, if you have them I guess they are on the way here. Still cleaning them out from last year. Dont mind the Lady Bugs so much, but the stinky ones are a yuk.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Remember those stinky little lady bug looking beetles? Well, they are back, at least here in Central Texas. There is another beetle that has joined them. I call it the "Idiot Beetle" because when it falls on its back, it can't turn over, so it struggles until it dies.

I don't know how or where they get in, but I find about 10 per day crawling across the ceiling. My electronic bug zapper (that looks like a small tennis racket) sure comes in handy. It is a lot better than mashing them and releasing the stink.
You mean like these that decided the Montana's tire was a great place to hibernate?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Stiles, we are playing the same game with the little blighters. We found the spots they are getting inside the most. Get a can of Ortho or Raid ant and roach spray and spray the area where the vertical gasket and bottom horizontal gaskets meet on the outside of the slides. On our 340 they walk right in. I also spray around the same spot inside by the shower and on either end of the kitchen slides. Everyday for a couple days you will find more dead bugs in those spots. They also like to sneak in through the bottom vent holes (weep) holes on the bottoms of the escape windows. I sprayed there and also opened the escape windows and stuffed paper towels in there to keep the varmints out. If you can find any "Osage Oranges" the baseball sized green things they sometimes sell in the grocery they keep most bugs out. They will last all winter. We haven't been able to find any down here in TN but are still looking. We have to vacuum the critters up periodically especially around the base of the back window. When they are bad (on warm days) I spray Flying Insect spray around before we head out for the day and vacuum the dead bugs up after we get home. You won't get rid of all of them but all this keeps them down to a manageable level... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Arizona looks better all the time. LOL
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
That's just a little gift from us up north. We sent them to the south for the winter and told them to go to your place.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
If the lady bugs are on the ceiling hold a plastic pop bottle over them and they will drop off into the bottle-no need to touch them. They don't swim well so a little bit of water in the bottom of the bottle makes their visit permanent.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yes, but they make the Pepsi taste TERRIBLE!!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I like the Pepsi bottle trick. We have had them so bad in Ohio I have spent hours killing, removing with vaccum and in general ranting over them. I cussed two them dead in just over a minute once. I found a nest of them once in a hall closet that was nearly 10 inches wide and foot long. They were like a living wall, I killed them all with my little spray. Nearly killed Mary as well. she has asthma and the spray nearly had her in the hospital. She did not speak to me for weeks after but the bbugs were gone. If the girls don't find you handsome heres hoping they find you handy. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Double side carpet tape works to catch them.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Still got them in Nebraska but they are trying to find a place to roost so I gave them directions to Florida, Texas, and all points south!
Dave-- How many of the Osage Oranges do you want? Have about 15-20 trees full of them right now in our pasture on the Platte. It's weird however, they say they are poisonous to eat but the cows love them and will clean up the ground of all that fall off! If you email me or PM me I can send some down to you!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Those osage oranges are great for keeping crickets out of the garage and house, too! We had a row of hedge trees lining the rear property line (when we still had a stick house) and had lots and lots of those hedge balls / osage oranges. They're tough on mower blades, though.

Worst infestation we had was hackberry moths, tons of them, we picked up when they took shelter on and under our slides during a severe thunderstorm in Stratton, CO, back in 2003 or 2004. It took us several days to get them all.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote