Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Michael,
Unfortunately I used to do the same, until bubbles appeared and a big chunk flew off in transit. Tireco replaced all five with another Chinese brand, that I am using until I can put something better on. I used to blame underinflation and speed for the failures until I was educated the hard way that the tires were simply inferior. As Phil says, that's my story and I am sticking to it!!!
Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #22
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
We just got back a few weeks ago from our trip. Put over 2900 miles on our Missions. No problems at all with them. Monty performed great too. From what I can gather reading about these tires, it seems most of the problems are 2006 model units. Just an observation. May be nothing to it.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not just 06 but 07s (my Monty) an early 08s as well. Keystone finally switched over to Goodyears. The Goodyears are also made in China but so far no problems have been reported.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would encourage anyone who has had failures of the Mission tires to take a few minutes to file a complaint with NHTSA. It is time Tireco is held accountable for importing and marketing this crap!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The original tires I had on my 2000 Montana when new were Uniroyals and they reacted much like the Mission tires I've been reading about here. I didn't think too much about it then because I think the axles were out of alignment and the wear was very uneven. I don't know where those tires were made but I do know that I have a good set of tires now!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Not just 06 but 07s (my Monty) an early 08s as well. Keystone finally switched over to Goodyears. The Goodyears are also made in China but so far no problems have been reported.
Now I feel better , My Monty is an "06". Are the Goodyears the Marathons? I had a Goodyear trailer tire spit all the tread while mounted as a spare. The tread just came apart. What are others here running if not the Missions? I have a trip to Ohio planned for this next Summer, and am really uncomfortable with three things, bad tires, bad brakes, and bad steering. My comfort level is at an all time low at the moment.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I replaced all 5 tires with BF GOodrich , made in the good ol USA Tirce sent me about 580.00 or so and i am happy to be out of them , i even on the new rig , we bought a 3465SA 2009 i switched the tires as i didn't want any chinese tires Also i putt on a 85 tire not a 80 as all units come with the 80 sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #28
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We purchased our 3000RK in Feb 08. In less than 100 miles we had two flats, both on the drivers side.
Traveling South on I-5 in Everett during construction in a narrow section of road with bulk heads on both sides, there laying quietly in the road was a big truck mud flap. And naturally the long bolts were sticking up just smiling and saying "I'm gonna getcha" and they did.
I missed it with the tv but could not and would not swerve enough to miss that flap. To make it more interesting it was Easter Sunday afternoon in a residential area when we finally were able to get off the freeway.
I was watching the tires get lower and lower as my blood pressure was getting higher and higher. Here we were in this very unfamiliar residential are and nowhere to pull off or stop. We did say a prayer asking what do we do now?
The first business and parking lot we saw we pulled into. Guess what? We ended up in the Sears tire store parking lot. You might say that was an answer to your prayer.
But on Easter Sunday afternoon? More answers... they were open. But we don't do trailer tires was their reply to my desperate plea. But if I bring them in will you put a plug in them? Sure, we can do that.
So 1 hour and $50 later we were back on the road.
CW informed me that if they were to replace the tires they were required to send them back to mfg and when they saw road hazard damage, I would be responsible for the cost of the new tires. So now after about 4000 miles the tires are still working with no problems. But you can be sure I keep my eye on them before after and during every trip.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I've been to that Sears store a few times since we live in Snohomish, WA, 20 to 30 miles East of there. I know that section of I5 very well and the road you took to Sears is called Alderwood Mall Road. You were very fortunate to get any kind of help at that particular Sears tire store. It is one place I have had very poor luck with related to tires. They never seems to know enough about what it is they are selling. I would be concerned about your plugged tires. Plugging is really intended to be only a temporary fix and the plugs will eventually come out or loose. Might want to see if you can get a more permanent fix with a vulcanized patch inside the tire or find replacement tires before you end up with a flat or two in a place that is even worse than Everett! :-) Actually Alderwood Mall Ave is not all that bad a part of town. :-)
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

We purchased our 3000RK in Feb 08. In less than 100 miles we had two flats, both on the drivers side.
But we don't do trailer tires was their reply to my desperate plea. But if I bring them in will you put a plug in them? Sure, we can do that.
So 1 hour and $50 later we were back on the road.
So now after about 4000 miles the tires are still working with no problems. But you can be sure I keep my eye on them before after and during every trip.
grampachet, My suggestion would be to head to the closest "reputable" tire dealer you can find and have those tires repaired the proper way. You may have gotten 4,000 miles on those plugs and there is a very slight chance of you getting many many more miles. Keyword there was "SLIGHT". The odds are those plugs will fail.
As Dean said above "Plugging is really intended to be only a temporary fix". A fix that occurs when you deal with the not so reputable dealer. NO reputable tire dealer would ever install a plug without breaking the tire and wheel assembly down and doing a thorough inspection inside the tire. IF he deems it necessary he will install, from the inside, a plug/patch combination. Or he may tell you the tire is not serviceable therefore not safe and should be replaced ASAP. Either way you will be able to leave that dealer confident that your tires are once again safe to travel on.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #31
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
My description of the repair was not very good. They did break down the tires and from the inside inspect and plug or patch the damaged tires. We could see there was only one small hole in each tire which he repaired. They also balanced the tires when done.

Sorry for the misleading post.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now that's how it should be done. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #33
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Ok, now you won't get to visit Everett, WA again! :-)
Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We live in BC and our kids live in Chehalis and Portland so we do travel through Everett often. We do like I-5 better now through Everett than it was a couple of years ago
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lots of interesting info here. All I can say is I've had problems with Mission and many problems with Goodyear Marathon. I've had zero problems with BF Goodrich tires on trailers and no problems so far with these Freestars, although it's probably too few miles to tell for sure. Two of the Freestars have around 6,000 on them and the others less than 1000. I have no doubt there are other factors but that's what I've experienced.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #36
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Interesting reading about the tires people have, and the ones they are getting as replacements. So far I have not seen anyone talk about Toyo tires. I was by the Les Schwabe tire store this weekend and got to talking to him about the Missions. They actually had a set of Freestars that someone had brought/traded in. I asked him what he would recommend, and he said he would recommend the Toyo brand. He did have one change though, if my rims are 7 inches, and I believe they are, he said he would go to a 265 size tire instead of the 235 that is on there now. It boosts the load rating by around 400 pounds each. I have known about Toyo's for a long time. I remember when I first saw them about 40 years ago on a friend of mine's pickup. They seem to hold up really well from others I've talked to. Any thoughts from anyone else?
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #37
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I can recommend the Toyo tires for use on a F150 pickup. Far superior to the private label brands that Les Schwaub sells. However, I don't have experience with Toyo tires on a 5th wheel. But if I was a betting man I would bet heavily that the 5th wheel tires ae equally good.

PS: Now running on Freestar tires after multiple failures with Mission tires at about 10,000 miles on a late 2006 3400RL.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #38
duchieno

M.O.C. #9015
I don't have a Monty yet, in fact have never had a 5th wheel. However, I have pulled a living quarter horse trailer thousands of miles across this country. After blowing four tires within less than a year, I finally sat down with my local tire dealer. He felt that the "E" load tires were underrated for the trailer and recommended I upgrade to "G". It cost a little more, but I have never had to replace a tire since then. Just wondering if maybe their is a similar situation with the Monty's. Orin
duchieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #39
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I spent a lot of time researching tires as they seem to be the most common issue on all forums. For every tire brand there is someone who tells a tale of defect and disaster. Eventually it seemed a few themes emerged that have been well covered in this thread and other threads on the MOC forum. They are tire choice and tire care. I am a process oriented person and I try to look at these as logical steps that reduce my risk of having a disaster by reducing both the probability and consequence of a tire failure. I hope you will not mind my sharing them with you. I am no expert, just cautious.

Step 1. Tire choice:
- Choose a tire that is rated at least 20% above the greatest static load you intend to place on it. Dynamic loads will be higher and an individual tire may be more or less capable due to the vagaries of manufacture.
- Match rim and tire. Mismatching widths increases side wall stresses and may increase the potential for sidewall damage.
- Choose a tire that is manufactured to a North American, European, Japanese or equal standard of production including quality control. (For example Goodyear tires are made in several countries but to the same standard. They police that standard with quality controls that meet international standards. Other reputable manufacturers do the same.)
- Check the NTSA, Transport Canada or European equivalent web sites for recalls and warnings.
- Choose a tire that matches your driving speeds and with a tire/tread design that fits the application.
- Check the tire date to ensure you aren't buying or are not running on an old tire.

Step 2. Tire Care
- Monitor and adjust inflation and especially avoid an under inflation situation. You can buy a pressure/temperature monitoring system for around $200. Check tire inflation when the tires are cold (at ambient temperature). A tire in full sun will absorb a lot of heat and consequently appear higher inflated than one in the shade.
- Do not overload. If you are always at or very near the maximum of a tire load when not moving you are probably overloaded on every bump, every curve, when road camber is excessive or in a cross wind situation. Keep that safety margin/breathing space.
- As much as possible balance and level your load. Pay attention to pin weight and height. If you have already used up all the flex in your trailer suspension and hitch then increased stresses on both are unavoidable.
- Avoid sharp turns at speed and slow down on rough roads and for bad bumps.
- Do not drive faster than the tire is rated. Speed also multiplies the consequences of a tire failure and can turn a inconvenient expense into a human tragedy.
- Inspect tires regularly (fuel stop visual) and increase the frequency when driving conditions place more demands on the tires. If a tire hits an object such as a big rock, a bad pot hole or a curb inspect it ASAP.
- If you suspect a tire, change out to the spare and have the tire checked by an expert.

I know that there are probably other "Rules" that the more experienced MOC'rs have that you can add to my list. I would be very interested to hear them. That is the beauty of the MOC. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individual members.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote