Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
jordjd
Established Member

M.O.C. #10078
King size bed

Purchased new 3665RE, (we love it) but has queen bed foundation with king mattress,dealer said it came from factory like that. Have send an email to factory with vin to see how it was delivered. Has anyone heard of this?

jordjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Was a king bed a selling point for you? Sounds like your dealer may have tried to pull a fast one.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Our 08 2955 came with a king bed and I had to cut the foundation plywood down several inches on each side for the queen bed to fit properly that we switched to. I would think a king bed from the factory would have a wider plywood foundation than what would be for a queen bed.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
My first guess would be that the mattress has been switched between another unit to satisfy a previous customer that did not want the king in their unit. At any rate if you do wish to keep the king it will just be a matter of a couple new sheets of plywood to make it larger to accommodate the king. At that time you might want to go to the next thickness of plywood for extra support. Just a matter of who pays for and completes the change up, you or the dealer?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If the dealer claims it came from the factory like that, then he doesn't care that his customer's getting crap because he should have sent it back. The mattress will get damaged over time by not being supported fully by its platform.

Jolu is right that a King Bed would come with a King platform, just like the one in my rig and since Jolu went to a Queen size he had to cut the platform.

DarMar is probably right on what the dealer did and the dealer is trying to get you to solve their problem (take the rig off their lot with no more work to be done). Someone, NOT YOU, needs to address this unless you are willing to rebuild the platform yourself. But I definitely would not recommend using the mattress for too long without proper support.

If this is truly a new rig, then the factory should be willing to help take care of this. Too bad you have to go through this uncaring dealer. I think they are the ones that screwed this up and you're gonna have to find a way to convince them to get the parts from the factory - Like DarMar alludes, I'd agree the dealer swapped the mattress with another customer wanting a queen in another rig and they probably chopped that platform to make the sale. If the factory originally provided a queen mattress and platform on your rig (which would NOT be a factory problem) and then the dealer put the King mattress from another rig into your rig, they didn't replace the platform which is a lot more work. But if it was indeed a factory screwup, the dealer should be able to get this corrected.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our plywood platform that the king mattress rests on comes to within about an inch of the edge of the mattress on all three exposed sides. I would not think it would be desirable for the plywood to extend exactly to the edge of the matress since (at least in my case) my shins and knees would suffer from excessive contact with the bed!!
If yours is not like that, the dealer should simply make it right with the proper sized platform as specified by the factory.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
Our king size mattress hangs over our plywood base 3 inches on each side but doesn't hang over at all at the bottom. Our mattress fits exactly between the walls at the head of the bed. If our unit was designed for a queen sized mattress we wouldn't be able to fit a king in the space. If you look at the picture of our 3400 bedroom you can see where how our mattress fits at the head of the bed. http://www.campersprayerpartners.com/rv.html
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I just replaced my OEM factory mattress. I could have had the new mattress custom cut to any size I wanted. I chose the so-called California King which is 72" wide by 80" long. I had the corners at the foot of the bed curved on a 12" radius. The under frame plywood is undercut to 67" which means the mattress hangs over by 2-1/2" per side.

In buying the new mattress, I quizzed the salesman about the optimum overhang for an RV mattress. He stated there had been no problems with the foam mattress overhanging the plywood by 2-1/2". I ordered the mattress 80" long because the OEM 76" mattress was too uncomfortably short for my height. This means it overhangs the plywood by 4" at the bottom. This too was discussed with the salesman/technician. He stated that it would be no problem. He had no reason, financial or otherwise to mislead me.

I personally think that having the plywood come to the very edge of the mattress would be bad design. Having it undercut 2"-3" per side is a much better, safer design. By-the-way, my former Big Sky had a queen size mattress and the plywood was undercut on it too. Additionally, because it is a memory foam, there is no problem with the compression of that extra 2" of length when the slide is closed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote