Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
**Safety Tips**

I know I posted this in another thread but I thought a thread about safety tips would be good. Here is something I do to help keep things safer while traveling. Perhaps you have some tips of your own you can add. They don’t have to be strictly related to driving but may pertain to anything that can make a person a safer camper.

When I’m towing I always drive with my lights on.
This serves two purposes.

1. I think this will help in keeping people from pulling out in front you.

2. It allows you to see at a glance the trailer lights that they are still on which verifies that the umbilical cord is still plugged in.

Ok, let’s hear from you!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I never thought about it in the way that you have described. Makes a lot of sense. I usually observe my brake controller and it it says "c" I'm pretty sure the cord is connected. Am going to give this some thought, leaning toward towing with the lights on. Oh what we learn from the experiences of those on this forum.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
I agree, turn on the lights! Helps everybody see you sooner, the police like it and it does verify connection. Good one! I ride ATV`s alot and we keep lights on the make it easier to see the rider behind is following and upright!!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like that idea. I have done it a few times, but not on a regular basis. Always figured that it was hard to miss a Montana in tow coming down the road in the middle of the day. However, it only takes once for something really bad to happen, and every little bit of safety helps.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I never thought about it in the way that you have described. Makes a lot of sense. I usually observe my brake controller and it it says "c" I'm pretty sure the cord is connected. Am going to give this some thought, leaning toward towing with the lights on. Oh what we learn from the experiences of those on this forum.

Orv

Until recently I haven’t had the ability to look at the controller and observe whether or no the umbilical cord was connected. Many years of tailoring have taught me to use the lights. It is nice now that you can tell by looking at the controller as to the connection. It would be nice if the controller had a chime or something to let you know if it came un-hooked while in tow. I’m not aware if any of them do that or not.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Very good idea. Case in point, I hooked up and checked the Montana lights and everything worked perfect. I tossed a few blocks into the tv and began our journey. My SIL who was following hollered on the radio and asked my how I was able to go down those hills without using my brakes. I replied I have it in second gear, then realized I WAS using my brakes too. I had not noticed my new P3 was still showing the green indicator telling me I was disconnected. Fortunately the hills were not hazardous. I moved that P3 up to a more noticeable position on the dash when I got home and have made a mental note to check connections the LAST thing before moving. And check the brake monitor too. Lights are another good idea. Thanks Bill for your idea.
Now with my new TST tire monitor I have another readout to check which is a good safety check to inspect beofer moving.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I've always had the TV lights in the auto position. So, I've been driving safer than I realized. Another good safety practice is to tow with your slides in, which gives you better fuel mileage. Nyuk nyuk!
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also with your awning up and your antenna down. Both of which happens...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
A lot of truckingcompanies requirethier drivers to run with thier lightsonfor safety.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Also with your awning up and your antenna down. Both of which happens...
Also with stairs, landing gear and stabilizers up. Almost learned about the stairs the hard way.. caught it on my FINAL WALK AROUND (my safety tip/reminder - always do one).
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
When hooking up power, I always turn the breaker to the “OFF” position before making a connection. This may avoid an arc which can cause damage to the prong on the plug or on the receptacle, not to mention the danger if it’s wet outside. I always leave the breaker in the off position when we leave as well for the safety of the next camper.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
yup great call, I always have my lights on when towing.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
With your antenna in the up position, it will not cut thru power
lines and telephone lines. This on the second day of a 14 day trip
with rain. I had just been up on the roof sweeping off pine needles
but forgot to put antenna down.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Always drive with my headlights on even when not towing the Monty. Always do a walk around for safety check before pulling out of the space, lights working, hitch hooked up,safety pin in place, safety brake cable attached and to make sure everything is up, down, stowed and have left nothing out. Then out of the space I go. Then I test just the trailer brakes applying them a couple of time to make sure they are working.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
We also always drive with the lights on and I'm aware of the "c" on the controller, but that still doesn't stop those other drivers from racing around you and jumping in front of you only to slam on the brakes. Wish they would realized what danger their putting themself and us in when suddenly our stopping distance just got alot shorter, but that's a different subject for another day. One safety tip we learned on our POI was a suggestion from the service tech - once you've hitched up and the handle has snapped over to the locked position, put a lock somewhere on the handle to prevent it from accidently getting unlatched, like some kids walking thru a parking lot while your shopping in walmart and you don't notice it when you return to the rig.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Before I drive off I do a walk around and check those things mentioned. Also, just before drive-off, Earlene get in my mirror and signals me as I go through all my light system. Twice in the past couple years the umbilical cord had to be re-inserted for the lights to work.

Make a safety check list for securing items: Put it on a cupboard door. Do the same for all outside safety and put it on the dash, or console. Review, review, review.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I do the same as Wayne. One caution... We have used our checklist for a few years now and we have modified it as needed. However, it is easy to become lax after a while. Check yourself and make sure you are not starting to shortcut your checklist procedures.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #18
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
I wrap some velcro around the lid to the umbilical cord connection to the plug inside the truck bed.Around the lid and plug to make sure they don't come apart.It has happened,spring on lid broke.It wakes you up when going down the road and you have zero trailer brakes.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote