Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
ChuckandKathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #8377
bicycles

We would like some input on bicycle carriers.
Chuck is looking at the kind that bolts onto the ladder. Does anyone have any experience with them? It is a Surco RV bike rack.

ChuckandKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I don't have the bike rack on the ladder, but quite a few do. On the other hand, the ladder is not very strong when it comes to things bouncing up and down on it, and several people have had problems with the ladder ultimately pulling loose.

Several people have installed a hitch on the back of the Monty behind the stabilizer mechanism that seems to be much more secure. That would be my recommendation.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
For me I've seen too many bikes bouncing around hanging from a ladder. I don't know of any manufacture that approves of hanging bikes off the ladder. That would be enough for me.
I had a receiver welded on back and used a 2" sq. reciver for mounting the back rack. So far no problems with the reciver but I did have one bike rack weld break in Oct 2007 that dropped my bikes on road at 60mph. They didn't last long going that fast sideways.
I since bought a better bike rack and no problems.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The folks at the Keystone Factory were not too keen on folks hanging things on the ladders. Personally I wouldn't hang anything on there, except maybe lightweight lawn chairs, the aluminum & web type. This is just my opinion.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We just installed the hidden hitch on the front of our truck and purchased a bike rake at CW. We think this is the best for us at this time. We got the kind of bike rake that has slot for the wheels to go in at the ends. It all seems very secure. No problem with lights as we never tow after dark.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pretty much Ditto what Sue just said, think our rack is a tad different, but other than that, ditto! Has not presented a problem while driving in humid temps up to around 95. Never got into the "RED" danger area on engine temps.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a Hollywood 3-bike carrier that fits in the trailer hitch. They are a good carrier.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
For whatever it's worth, we used to carry the bikes on the ladder. No problems in about 60,000 miles but I was becoming increasingly uneasy. We now just put an old sheet on the bed and carry them inside. It is easier than mounting them on the ladder and no worries about them at all.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We carried our bikes on the ladder until they bounced a lot and broke the ladder. We are so glad it didn't completely fall off and cause an accident on the highway--a trucker honked and warned us of a problem. We had a receiver welded to the front of our truck and carry the two bikes there when we are towing. When not towing, the rack goes in the receiver on the rear of the truck.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We also have a hitch and bike rack on the front of the truck and it works well for us. Bikes get a little dirty but we can see them all the time. You have no idea what is going on with the bikes if they are on the ladder.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put my bikes in the bed of the truck, perpendicular to the direction of travel. They fit all the way forward and are held in place with four bungee cords. Works fine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Ladder worked well for us. I did have to replace a broken bolt once but the bikes and ladder were fine.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We too carry two Univega 10 spd bikes in the front of the bed of our long bed truck. Have to be parallel with the back of the cab and nestled close to each other to avoid getting hit when making sharp turns with the 5th wheel attached. Plenty of room when turning with a late 2006 3400RL. I made a wood frame and mounted two Yakima spindle holders to keep them in place. Has worked for us. The ladder is pretty flimsy in my opinion and we too didn't feel it could handle the stress of two bikes bouncing around on it. Have had the bottom two supports bolts pull through their holding cups due to a inadvertant bump against the side of the ladder. We felt safer and more secure with them in the front of the truck bed. YMMV :-)
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have the ladder rack and are not to thrilled with it. We believe that many broken ladder problems are a result of the rack and the bikes not being properly secured. We use a lot of heavy duty tie wraps on the ladder and the bikes and thus far have had no problems. we WILL get a hitch installed as soon as we can get around to it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote