Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #21
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Harry,

Thanks for the information! Just checked the site out and it has LOTS of cool "stuff!" We'll have to order both the rack and the cross bar so we can mount the bike properly.

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Hooooray.
My 2009, 2955, 10th just showed up with the 1-1/4" receiver hitch factory installed.
Thank you Keystone.
I'm still pursuing Montana dealer installation of the hitch on earlier models
with the factory. Get a lot of conflicting information like "it voids the warranty"????
But there's a receiver hitch out there that Montana/Keystone is using.
If I can get the factory to acknowledge dealer installation I'll let you know.
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
A guy pulled in the Flying J in Lake Park Ga with his bikes hooked up to his truck receiver with his Montana hooked up at the same time and he was turning with no problems. I was amazed, as fast as I told the Wife he was gone back on I-75 heading north, as we were heading south we never saw him again.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #24
Tinka N Rick
Established Member

M.O.C. #6591
We had a 2-inch hitch and generator rack installed by EWS Welding in Granbury, TX. (817) 326-2473.
5th wheel hitches are all this guy does. He welded a frame to the I-beams, moved the rear jacks, and rerouted the fresh water drain. He replaced the underbelly in a fashion that looked undesturbed. We are very happy with the results.
Tinka N Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #25
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
Went to a machine had one made with a 2inch reciever. Put it on our 2001 3670 worked fine bolted to I beam. Tooked it of when we bought our 2007 because of warranty issues. Will put it back on after warranty passes just to haul bicycles I see to no harm but I would not pull or put anything heavy on it.

Richard E. Smith
jars 1529
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #26
rcl

M.O.C. #8203
I researching hitch mounted bike racks to utilize the included hitch on our Big Sky, we can't find any bike racks that are useable on the back end of trailers. So far everyone we have researched very plainly say "do not use on trailers". This seems to be becuase of loads and stresses with a bike rack mounted so far behind the wheels combined with the additional sway and movement you get just pulling a big trailer down the road. Has anyone found a hitch mounted bike rack (1 1/4") that is useable and safe on the back end of a fifth wheel?
rcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #27
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
rcl,
If you are going to use the hitch for a bicycle rack you can order a bolt on hitch made by Hidden Hitch and Camping World has a bike rack that will plug into the 2" receiver.
I went this route and used a bike rack I have had for about 12 years that is similar to the one Camping World has now.

http://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/pr...1359&catId=170

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ike-racks/7036

I would check around for the best prices. The two web sites are to give you an example if you want to do your own bolt on hitch. You may be able to find a welding shop that will do the hitch for less.
I'm not sure what Keystone will charge for their 1 1/4" hitch.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I carried a 3-bike Hollywood carrier on my hitch until I was told by technicians at Keystone that I could void my frame warranty. I carried well, though it did bounce a little, so I was told.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #29
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rcl

I researching hitch mounted bike racks to utilize the included hitch on our Big Sky, we can't find any bike racks that are useable on the back end of trailers. So far everyone we have researched very plainly say "do not use on trailers". This seems to be becuase of loads and stresses with a bike rack mounted so far behind the wheels combined with the additional sway and movement you get just pulling a big trailer down the road. Has anyone found a hitch mounted bike rack (1 1/4") that is useable and safe on the back end of a fifth wheel?
See my Post.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
FYI, Keystone will NOT sell the hitch they added on this year to anyone. We got that right from the horses mouth when we were at the Fall rally and went thru the factory tours with Charles Wade. They do not want the liability involved with adding an "after market" hitch. AND are afraid what people will start towing with them, hence the 1 1/4" they installed on the newer units.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #31
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I was sent by my dealership to a local welding shop that has done several hitches for bikes. I too had the 2" hitch welded in place. They were very specific about nothing heavier than a couple bikes, which is all we carry. It works great.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #32
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I had a local welding shop fab up a hitch for our Mountaineer. 2" receiver, flat plug for lights and the price was ok. I tow a 11' trailer with two 4x4 quads with no problem. Keystone should worry more about the front of the trailer frame where some serious problems seem to occur.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #33
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Many moons ago, someone told me that the pressures on the back of the trailer made LOADS of extra pressures on the front, where we all are aware of frame troubles.

It is one of those physics thingys that I can no way begin to explain.

So, if you have bouncing bikes or something on the rear of your Montana, the bouncing moves along the frame to the front of your rig and it is magnified up there.

OK, you guys with physics and stuff, save me from myself, explain this better, please!

Or, is this all wrong??? Could be, I need to make a mistake early in the day and get it out of the way! (OK, so, I am in a weird mood, must be thinking about the pies I have to make today?? )
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #34
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
rcl
My 2955 came with the 1 1/4" receiver hitch.
I purchased a Swagman XTC bike rack. It comes with a 1 1/4"
adapter permenantly attached. I've been using it for a full season
and I really like it. Very secure. When my usual traveling partners
are following me they tell me there's practically no visible movement of the bikes or hitch.
It's a quality piece of equipment, but it's not especially light weight.
I purchased it on line (I think thru Amazon.com) for $129 and free shipping.
Google it, you can find some pretty good deals.
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #35
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Our 3400RL came with the hitch receiver attached, as you can see in our picture below. We have posted elsewhere about the problems we've had, but I'll repeat...the receiver comprises a short (say, six inches) 1-1/4" ID tube that the hitch fits into, welded and gusseted at right angles in the middle of a long (say, eight feet) tube of the same stock, so that they form a "T", with the top of the T being eight feet long and the stem of the T being six inches. The ends of the long part are welded to pieces of C-channel that are in turn bolted under the frame members at each side of the trailer stern. When you plug a standard Yakima bike rack, with a couple of bikes, into the receiver and drive over any long bumps or dips, the bikes slam up and down, oscillating around the center of the eight-foot tube. If you remember what a torsion-bar suspension is, then you'll be familiar with how the thing works. The effect is magnified by the length of the trailer behind the wheels - it's a giant teeter-totter. I'd hate to see the oscillations twist the long member off one of the c-channels and drop the bike rack into the traffic behind us (there's a fair bit of traffic behind a pokey fifth-wheel on a bumpy/dippy road).

We have not yet solved this problem for ourselves. Our best option seems to be to weld an extra piece of tubing from the centre of the long piece forward, beneath the rear stabilizers' c-channel, to a new cross member attached to the frame behind the rear wheels. This would stabilize the oscillations, coverting moment to deflection, which the eight-foot member should easily handle. Our dealer's service guy said he would pursue his own line of inquiry with Keystone. We'll see.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #36
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
I'm thinking of purchasing the Hitch Haul (20" x 60") with the 1 1/4" receiver. They also sell a triple bike rack that bolts onto the platform. Max weight is 250 lbs, which is the same as the receiver hitch on the Montana. Anyone familiar with the setup?
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #37
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
On Edit I should have read further back. I already posted a reply. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote