Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Storage Covers

We have a new 3150 on order, I wish I had a barn, or large building to keep it in, but I don't. My question is are any of you folks using a cover, there are a few companies that make them, I would like to keep the sun off of the unit as much as possible, rain also, thanks Ron

RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ron, the CW on covers is that they are not needed. Some owners have reported the formation of mold and when the wind blows it appears to move the covers around and causes scuffing on the coach. Some use a good coat of wax. Personally I use ProtectAll twice a year. Of course, I don't store mine and try not to be in cold country. I guess the choice is yours, but I would not cover. Others should be along with their opinions. BTW: Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW".
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Monty. I have to agree about not covering. Dark places are inviting to vermin as well as the wind whipping issue. On the trip I just completed we traveled through a lot of wet weather. My Montana was nasty with road grime and splatter. The Gel Coat cleaned up beautifully when I got a chance.

When not traveling, we just do a good wash job about twice a year and waxing at least once.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I concur. The units have UV protection built into the filon/gel coat to combat sun. A good wax helps with rain, bugs, etc. If you really want a cover, they make fabric vehicle garages with frames. I would look at something like that. With that you wouldn't have anything touching the unit and it would be "out of the elements".
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just did a search using portable garage in google and found www.portablesheltershops.com. For $2200 they have an RV version. Just a thought.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you want covered storgage, check marine boat storage facilities. I found one that is 20 x 50, metal roof, covered on three sides, has AC power and locks.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Indoor storage may prolong the life, but probably not the rate of depreciation to the point it proves beneficial over the cost of storage. Going against my better judgement, we have ours in covered storage. It's nice to just drop it and not worry about covering tires, closing windows, and even covering the rig.

At this CO elevation, and the exposures to UV and wind, the poly covers last about 5 months and the cotton maybe a full year or even two seasons. Usually by February there are parts sticking through the sides of the covers around here (gutters, vents, etc.) making them a bear to take off from the ground. By May, the poly ones explode and leave shrapnel in 1/8" gray strips along the fence and in the weeds, leaving only the ropes and parts of the top fabric on your coach.

If you are in a windy area, they continously collect dirt because they build static electricity and then they grind that dirt into your plastic trim, gelcoat, and filon.

The BEST solution I can figure is never slow down long enough to have the opportunity to cover it!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree concerning covers for RVs. The only reason they are sold is because we buy them. They actually will create damage to the rig from dampness and flopping (even just a little) in the wind. Abrasions occur on the rig where the cover rubs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Thanks for the advice, I had a friend tel me the same thing, I think we will keep it clean, and be on the road as much as we can, I still think I will cover the tires with some sort of cover, or cut plywood when in storage. This forum is great, Ron
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Well I might have made a mistake, but I installed a Aqua Shed cover on our Monty this year (being new and all). I wrapped all the gutter drains in foam/tape so as not to rip the cover. The cover has 8 straps that go underneath from side to side with elastic on both ends. We had up to 50 mph winds during December and I didn't notice any damage to the Monty or cover. Guess I'll find out in the spring when I remove the cover. My neighbor has covered his 5th wheel for the past 5 winters with no problems.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If when you are covering it you slipe and fall off the world comes to a end , so I tried covering mine once and the wind came and I said no get on the ground , and i was a carpenter and built barns and lots of big houses but no on the rv cover , have it waxed , you traded your car how often or your truck , do you keep then 10 years or more do you cover them ,,, no no no so be it ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote