Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use CC in the rain as wellm but I never run over 64 MPH. Just a light tap on the brake pedal disengages CC.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Mike,

I have hydroplaned in my F350 (old 2001) with the cruise on, but no Monty on the back. It started raining heavy and I was taking my whole family (asleep) to a reunion. They never even knew it happened. The truck just started turning sideways at 75mph and I had absolutely no control of it. The speedometer wrapped up to 100mph then shut down the cruise. I just held on lightly to the steering wheel and let it do its thing - not out of skill but shear fright! The truck snapped back into its lane like nothing ever happened. I pulled over, smoked a fag and threw up.

The next week I replaced those aging Firestone Flexteel tires that I had pushed way beyond their useful life. (I did love those tires)
Sorry Brad but Family on board or not I would never drive an unloaded pick up 75MPH in the rain. Every unloaded pick up is way to light in the rear to for me to even consider driving at that speed. Now add in aging Firestone Flexsteel tires to the equation and your just asking for trouble.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are right, Glenn. I cringe when I see pickup drivers speeding down the road as if they were driving a sports car.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Good grief Brad. I hope you don't drive that fast now. Maybe your reflexes haven't deteriorated over time, but I know mine have. The only time I might even approach 70 mph is when I'm going down hill, loaded or not.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow you guys are a conservative bunch -

Stay in the right lane, would you. I'll be the guy doing the 75mph speed limit on your left.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No problem, Brad, I will be happy to let you have the road. Happy RVing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You better hope that a lot of people are praying for you Brad. I too will happily stay in the right lane and let you have all the road you want. Wave at me when you go by.

Orv
Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am a big fan of CC. Tend to get a bit better fuel economy and a cure for fat foot. I hope snow and ice is a no brainer. On those long days CC will keep you from getting fatigied as fast BUT!!!! turn off the CC at the least sign of fatigue, sleepy drivers tend to slow down but wirh CC full speed ahead.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My wife totaled her town car in 2004 by hydroplaning at 55 MPH in a 75 zone. She was not using CC. She did two 360's and head on into the cement center barrier;. Had a sore ankle. Hydroplaning is caused by the incorrect speed in consonance with the water on the road. I once saw a car hydroplane going up an overpass at 25-30 mph. The water flow down the overpass was very turbulent.

Most manuals will tell you not to use CC on slippery roads. Water is slippery.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Wow you guys are a conservative bunch -

Stay in the right lane, would you. I'll be the guy doing the 75mph speed limit on your left.
Brad, In all states even doing the speed limit in unsafe conditions is against the law. No IFS, ANDS or BUTS about it.
In your words maybe we are "CONSERVATIVE" but I would much rather be "CONSERVATIVE" than laying in a hospital bed or 6 foot under. Forget about yourself and consider your family. I would not want to continue thru life knowing that my reckless driving took a life(s). Now add in the fact that the life(s) you took was part of your family. Who do you think gets arrested and sent to jail when someone in your vehicle or the other vehicle dies due to your reckless driving??
Worst case scenario, Your recklessness takes your DW's life and you end up in jail. Your children no longer have a Mother and their Father is a jailbird. Is this what you want for them????
BRAD, it's your life and you live your life the way you see fit but PLEASE be more considerate your innocent family members as well as the other families in the other vehicles that in all probability will be included in your recklessness.

If you ever come up behind me just flash your lights and blow your horn and I will pull over and get behind you. I'll do that for 2 reasons...
#1-I don't want to get in your way.
BUT #2-I have never witnessed an accident where a reckless driver created such an accident and you can bet I will be a star witness for the prosecution as well as the insurance companys.

PLEASE, PLEASE reconsider!!!!!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #30
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The only time I have hydo planed was without CC, 45 mph and questionable tires. If the tires get up on the water, it happens. Also the chances increase tremendously over 60-65 MPH. The minute a brake is taped or a wheel breaks loose, the CC disengages faster than you can slap a Skeeter. Don't use it on snow and stay off ice if at all possible. Ice skates are the only thing that works on ice.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Reconsider WHAT Glenn!

I'm not talking about driving in the rain or snow or towing! I'm driving a pickup on dry pavement doing the speed limit, right there with the truckers and sports cars and granny in her Buick!

Don't preach to me - you folks are the hazard. You are obstacles that cause the rear enders and multi-casualty accidents just by driving slower than everyone else.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #32
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Lets cut to the chase. Common sense goes a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG way. Realizing not everyone has common sense.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #33
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh oh! Me thinks we got one of them controversial topics that can set the little people with anger running around in our heads loose.

Let's bring the good old MOC friendship back.

I mean, I don't care if me and the other guys are stupid and the other guy is a smart*(@!!!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #34
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
The statement was not meant to be ugly. Some of the smartest people I know have no common sense. I work with an older man that barely reads who has an incredible common sense. I had a troop come in when I was a Sergeant in the Army who had a GT score of 148 of a possible 150. On paper he was a genius, literally did not have enough sense to wipe his nose without someone telling him. (True story) While this is both extremes it does exist. So if a person has no or little common sense should be aware of this and simply pay more attention to RULES to guide them.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #35
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

The statement was not meant to be ugly. Some of the smartest people I know have no common sense. I work with an older man that barely reads who has an incredible common sense. I had a troop come in when I was a Sergeant in the Army who had a GT score of 148 of a possible 150. On paper he was a genius, literally did not have enough sense to wipe his nose without someone telling him. (True story) While this is both extremes it does exist. So if a person has no or little common sense should be aware of this and simply pay more attention to RULES to guide them.
I think I have met that man--several times in several different places. I was in the Air Force and I think he was there also! Yes, there is a difference between intelligence and common sense. But intelligence and common sense both agree when it comes to driving and towing our rigs.

Orv
Old 09-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #36
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow, this is really frying my brains.

Yesterday I felt as normal as the next guy driving at higway speeds in my little F350, right next to all the other normal people.

10 minutes on the MOC and a little background story about an experience I had hydroplaning one time when I wasn't using good judgement, and now me driving the speed limit under normal conditions makes me:
  • A speeder
  • Reckless
  • lacking in common sense
  • someone to pray for
  • taking risks with my family
  • criminally negligent
What's worse, this comes from some that feel they can ridicule someone for daring to do the speed limit while they themselves risk all of our lives and family lives by towing 8-tons down the road on an overloaded chassis!

Cast the first stone guys - any of you that have never drove 75mph - or never once exceeded the 65mph speed limit on those Mission tires. Throw that stone while I stand over here on the side of those that would do something as foolish as obey a speed limit or a payload limit. After all, I triple towed once, so I must be ready to chop my family up with a hatchet or something.

In them meantime, as I look ahead to the river of brake lights on I-80 across Wyoming while 150 truckers try to maneuver and squeeze into the left lane to pass some over-conservative driver doing 60 in the right lane, I'll at least know who it is.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #37
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Brad,
You're reading things into this thread that don't exist. Conscience?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #38
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
OK Folks. We can't seem to get this one under control so let's call it quits.

Everyone take a "chill pill".

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote