Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Adjustment Dewald slides?

There has been a lot of discussion on adjusting the Lippert slides but I have been trying to find how to adjust the Dewald slides? Been looking for help on the web but not able to find anything. Checked out Power Gear, Dewald etc but no help. I have the 2001 with the Dewald units.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Lippert still put the frame together so they should have the information.

I have adjusted mine once. The reason was when the slide was all the way out the the hyd actuator come to rest on the guide wires such that it was bending the whole tube assemble. I considered that a pre-cursor for failure so I adjusted the slide slightly so the actuator would not touch the guide wires. There is still about 1/16 clearance.

Every early model I checked on the lots had the same problem.

However I have never had a problem with it in 30000 miles.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Good evening Gentlemen,

Tom, now I understand the scope of your question! You were kind enough to leave your phone number in my voice mail earlier today. Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you much but, I know who can. That is because he is an ex-Dewald employee. Him or myself will call you tomorrow.

Farmer Don, hang on. I will post something to help you out ,too. But, I really don't think the actual adjustments that I described for Lippert systems are much different from Dewald. Let me find that out for sure................... Stand-by.

Just called this Guro. Thank goodness we have Lippert cell phones with us all waking hours of the day! Take it to the Bank. Your adjustments for the Dewald systems are virtually the same as what I described in an earlier post for our systems. Even though the Dewald systems are aided with cables and pully's the vertical adjustment for the room is the same. Just keep in mind that the seals must still engage. This is where some compromising may come in to play.

I hope this helps you two fine fella's out. If not and you have more questions, you know where to call.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thank you both for the information. I was looking at the lock nuts on my cyl and noticed the gap between the nylock nut and the double lock nuts on the shaft (about 3/4"). Being an old equip mech I figured they needed to be tight. BUT! Before I did anything I found the topic on them and see they are just fine the way they are. The slide seals in both open and closed positions. With that much Hyd pressure it would be easy to rip of the facia or pop the side wall. So am glad I found the topic.

I will go back and copy MIME's instructions for the Lippert adjustments just to have on hand.

I understand some models have valves or ? to isolate each slide from the pump? Is that something to consider for a modification on my older system? I can see the advantage if you have a major leak or want to move one without the others. Are there other reasons that might make it worthwhile?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks MIMF for the post. I guess I will have to back and read all your previous post.

drh,

Guess I can't help you much more. I am not going to fool any more with my slide system unless it breaks. I am a more worried about where to get the guide wires if they break. Also the pulleys have always been loose. I just keep everythin oiled down ant hop for the best.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
drhowell,

The gap between those nuts is there for a purpose.

On hydraulic systems it would be ideal to have the cylinders be the exact stroke as what the room moves. But, that is almost impractical and impossible. The gap between those nut is set there so that it engages the bracket to push the room out and seal at the same time the piston inside the cylinder is bottomed out to the end-cap. The same is true for pulling the room in. The piston is bottomed out to the end of the cylinder when the room is sealed in. Since the hydraulic system could exert enough energy to push or pull the room thru the side wall of the coach or damage the facias, that is why you could see a gap or shaft travel of as much as 2 or 3 inches before it engages on the drive bracket.

I have heard of people noticing the gap and think the shaft is coming loose so, they go uder and tighten up the nuts to the drive bracket and then wander later why the facias of the rooms are getting ripped from the off.

Well, gotta' get ready to head to the office shortly. Everybody have a good day.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote