Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Camping World Sunshade

We're sitting here in Wesley Chappel Florida facing west. In the afternoon the sun is pretty strong. We are thinking of getting a Sunshade from Camping World to block some of the suns rays. Has anyone used this and if so how do you like it. It says it rolls up with the awning. Is it in the way when you don't need it. Thanks for any help, John

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
We are also staying in Wesley Chapel at Quail Run RV Resort. I purchased ours at the RV show. It is a 6ft with a 2ft drop that zips for a total of 8ft.. It make it easier to roll up when it gets too windy here.. Send me an e- mail if you would like the guys name that sold us ours.

Bill c
billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
We have one and it will roll up in the awning. However, the awning arms will not close completely for traveling, so we take it off and store it in the basement.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Sierra 117. We have one for the beach and sun-facing areas and use it often. We do not roll it up in the awning however. One thing I have noticed that I do like, is it serves as a backup tie down as well. We anchor it separately from our normal tie-downs for the added safety margin. The only disadvantage is that obviously you do have to walk around it and it limits entry directly to the front area. With all that said, we like it so far!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
We got ours here; http://outdoorrugco.com/. It does contribute to the "sail" effect of the awning, but only on very windy days. Like others, it rolls up with the awning but not all the way for traveling. Easy to put on and take off.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also have one. But we use ours as much for a wind break as a sun screen. One park we regularly go to has frequent winds blowing down the valley and kicking up a lot of dust. The screen really helps with the dust and keeping some of the wind from under the awning. And like Bingo, it also really helps as an awning tie down. I bought some tarp clips to put along the bottom of the screen and use 4-5 stakes to hold it firmly in place.
One thing I did do was to use a small file to knock off the sharp corners of the opening of awning roller slot the screen slides into. The sharp edges would catch the material and make it hard to slide in. After filing off the edges to make the opening a little wider it slides in much easier.
Never tried rolling it up in the awning. Don't think it would do well for travel.

EDIT: CRS is a terrible thing! It has been six months since I used it. Actually I use one of the double slot plastic thingys that slides in the awning slot that gives me one slot for my awning lights and a second slot for the shade. It was the slot in the plastic thingy that I filed the opening a little to make the awning slide in easier.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Bought one at CW 5 years ago and use it often. Works well and is holding up good. We roll it up with power awning except when traveling.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I bought one from CW. It really knocks the sun down, gives you some privacy, and some air will pass through it as well. Like above, it will not roll up with the awning, but it is so simple to put on and take off. I used some small metal augers from Home Depot and some bungee cords to anchor it down.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Awning-Sh...cf17f0&vxp=mtr

That's a current eBay listing for a 15/ x 6' sunshade, available in 4 colors for $67.00 plus $6.00 shipping. I'm not sure if this is the same seller we bought from, but the shade looks the same. We've pleased with ours. They're available in several sizes, too.

We bought an excellent-quality sunscreen on eBay for $70 and change, including shipping, the same size and color (coffee, 6 x 17) as the one Camping world wanted about $139 for (plus a pretty steep shipping charge). We've been very pleased with that shade. I also found comparable screens by Googling "RV sunscreen," "RV awning sunscreen," etc. I can't remember the eBay seller's name, but he was a sunscreen fabricator and had 100% positive feedback. Tonight when I'm back at my rig, I'll look in my file and see if I kept the ordering information. If so, I'll add it as an edit to this post.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I purchased a Carefree of Colorado sun shade for the rear window. It is 72 inches wide and covers the entire rear window. It is hung at the top of the rear window enclosure on the outside of the rig. It pulls down just like a large window shade. It stops the heat outside the rig and there is about a 2 to 3 inch air space between the glass and the shade so air convection currents dissipate the heat before it even gets to the glass. It has helped a lot out here in Las Vegas.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote