Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Tires, Tires, Tires!

When we had our Montana, like nearly everybody, we had tire problems with the OEM Missions resulting in having to have all four changed...at our expense.

We have had our SOB MH for nearly two years. On the three MH forums I visit, there are virtually no discussions on tires. That's because there are virtually no problems.

I'm certainly no tire expert, however when you apply some common sense logic, it appears to be an easy problem to solve. The problem will be getting the manufacturers to do it.

IMHO, here's the problem, the Montanas run near max weight on cheap tires. MHs run good tires with lots of reserve capacity.

Here are the numbers for my MH:

Tires: Goodyear RV 670s, 295/80R22.5, load range H, made in the USA. Max capacity single 7,830, max capacity dual 6,940.

Front axle: GAWR is 14,600. Therefore if we are at max weight, we still are 1,000# below tire capacity of 15,660.

Rear axle: GAWR is 20,000. Again, if at max weight we are nearly 8,000# below the capacity of the tires which is 27,760. So we have a 10 ton axle with a four ton buffer.

Bottom line, 5th wheels, cheap Chinese tires run at max capacity...or over. MH tires, are good US made tires operating well below max capacity.

Solution, RV manufacturers need to step up and put good, high quality, high capacity tires on their rigs.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Great point you make here. Maybe someday the rest of the RV industry will catch up to the Motorhome group. I think they are getting there slowly.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I don't think you will ever see that because the axle capacity would have to be increased drastictly and that would mean bigger rims, bigger tires, an extra step added to the steps and who knows what else just to begin with. All this is added expense and that means much higher prices on our units. We have the best bang for the buck now so the big question is "Are you ready to pay more?" They are increaseing the axle capacity on the units and giving the G614's as an option now unless you buy the Big Sky units so maybe they are slowly coming around to this thinking!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You guys are missing the actual problem. The government specifies that tires carrying people must have reserve capacity. They do not make that specification for trailer tires since people don't ride in the trailers, at least in theory. The MH manufacturers don't care anymore for their customers than the trailer manufacturers do, witness the extra long RV's without a tag axle, but the government requires that the tires on those rigs have a substantial reserve capacity so it works.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Well said Dick, I forgot about that point.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

You guys are missing the actual problem. The government specifies that tires carrying people must have reserve capacity. They do not make that specification for trailer tires since people don't ride in the trailers, at least in theory. The MH manufacturers don't care anymore for their customers than the trailer manufacturers do, witness the extra long RV's without a tag axle, but the government requires that the tires on those rigs have a substantial reserve capacity so it works.
That is also why you will see recalls on LT tires and not on trailer tires
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
So, what are you recommending in a 16" on our 36'?
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wouldn't it be nice if we had an honest data source to read showing the best tires for our individual Rv's, an honest factual source?
These tire companies lie to us, give us half-truth's (Really Ozz?)
Just like the 'China Bombs' we all had...some still do.. You think Tireco (Keystone tire supplier) would tell you we will have trouble with them?? Naaa.
Now, it looks like Goodyear screwed with the tire rubber formula and we have edge tire wear.
What kind of wear, and reliability have the Bridgstone Duravis tires given?
How about Michelin?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Ozz,

I have Bridgestone Duravis R250s on our Big Sky and all edges are wearing exactly like your G614s did. I keep them at 80# and monitor with TPMS, so I know it's not a matter of underinflation.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Ozz,

I have Bridgestone Duravis R250s on our Big Sky and all edges are wearing exactly like your G614s did. I keep them at 80# and monitor with TPMS, so I know it's not a matter of underinflation.
Wow, that is crazy!
Isn't it interesting with all the problems with the old Mission tires, they never (as far as I know) had that wear on the edges of the tires?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a poll on every thing else. Why not tires? Doe's it matter what color out trucks are? That's a personal choice. Tires are safety! That matters.
Maybe we could post Camper model, loaded weight, miles on tires, inflation, speed we normally pull on interstates, purchase date, has any failed. Then if a certain brand of tire is giving trouble or good service we might see a pattern. All we here about now is when they are giving trouble.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

We have a poll on every thing else. Why not tires? Doe's it matter what color out trucks are? That's a personal choice. Tires are safety! That matters.
Maybe we could post Camper model, loaded weight, miles on tires, inflation, speed we normally pull on interstates, purchase date, has any failed. Then if a certain brand of tire is giving trouble or good service we might see a pattern. All we here about now is when they are giving trouble.
Lynwood
I love the idea!

Can we do this?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I might have a different take on the tire issue. When we first bought our 3400 we had the Mission bombs and lost two coming from Alaska. No damage to trailer, thanks to Pressure Pro System. We tried several other proper sized tires, all Chinese made, I believe and still had problems. Keep in mind we had the standard Mor-Ryde suspension. We then went to the Mor-Ryde independent suspension and the G614's and had no problems at all. My point is this: Could the problem be in the standard suspension supplied with these rigs??? Seems like a lot of folks have problems with springs, hangers, spindles, axles and whatever else is included in the suspension. Just Saying!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interesting question.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I would love to see a poll on that subject I cannot be the only lucky SOB that has has NEVER had a blowout on my Marathons maybee it is because I live up in the NW and it never gets too hot up here I don't know??