Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you don't have a set-up similar to Michael & Kat's, or even the one mounted in a rack in the back of the TV, but instead store them in a tool box or the Front Compartment of the Monty, remember you have to let them sit and cool off before you can store them away. The little exhaust gets really, really hot.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

With the onan you can get the remote start. We crank ours about 20 minutes before we stop and the inside is nice and cool when we stop and go in.
Hi Dennis,

Tried to find this online - is this the one that's about $700-$800?

Thanks.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Seahunter - I think the module he is talking about is the EG Command Center on Cumminsonan.com website. They recommmended the EG30 to me. They say the wireless is not available anymore but I found a group that still had them. Hopefully that helps!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Seahunter - I think the module he is talking about is the EG Command Center on Cumminsonan.com website. They recommmended the EG30 to me. They say the wireless is not available anymore but I found a group that still had them. Hopefully that helps!
Thanks Carol, I'll look for that.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
First I have heard of the remote start not being available. I installed the module and harness last year. Total price was less than $600, still pricey, but for us the cost was not an issue. Here is where we got ours:
Onan EC-30W
Installation took less than an hour. It has some additional features that are supposed to automatically start the generator when battery power gets too low as well as automatically starting generator via a thermostat reading. (No, I have not figured out these functions yet, maybe one of these years). The rationale behind our purchase was driven by the furry members of our family. They ride in the rig (crated) and we use a weather station with remote module to monitor the temperature in the rig, we can start and stop the genny while travelling to allow the air conditioners to run and lower the temperature in the rig. That function is priceless to us.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks for the link Bingo. Is that coming on when the generator battery is low, or the trailer batteries, or both? Sounds like quite the little unit. Another thing on the wish list
Old 09-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #27
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is no separate generator battery, the genny is powered off of the rig's battery. The module senses low voltage on the rig battery and starts the genny to charge the battery before the battery drops so low that it will not start the genny. I believe once the battery gets to a certain voltage (programmable low and high) the genny turns itself off. There is also a function that when the rig loses shore power, the genny will automatically start until shore power returns. I have got to take the time one of these days (years??) to get the programming functions set up and operational.
Bingo
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #28
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Oops, I was thinking there was a small battery on the gen just to start it.

So, you leave that on when it is at your storage facility, and it just kicks on every once and a while? I wonder how long it would be running to get the battery charged up enough.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rather than worrying about the generator starting at the storage unit, I installed a cutoff switch in the battery compartment that allows me to completely isolate the batteries and prevent any drawdown. The cutoff switch in the convenience center will not do this as there are still battery drains which are wired direct (remote board for one). I also installed a second battery since I do have to go to the storage facility a day in advance to turn the fridge on propane which is another battery draw. When I am ready to depart on trip, I turn the battery switch (marine type - Battery 1, Battery 2, Battery 1 and 2, and OFF) to the other battery if needed to start the genny and charge the first battery on the way to the house where we load the rig. I do know it takes about a half hour all told to get to the house and a low battery will be charged to about 70-80% of full charge in that time. The on-board chargers are multi-stage chargers that start in fast-charge mode (my terminology) and quickly charge the battery to about 3/4 capacity. Always keep in mind that the on board propane Onan will drink propane rapidly. We have two 40 pound tanks, and can easily burn a tank on an extended trip by running the generator sporadically for temperature control. A 5500 watt Onan will burn a little above a gallon per hour at full load and close to that at half load. 40 pound tank holds a little over 9 gallons, so 7 to 8 hours per tank is normal thirsty usage. I would not think that would work too well with automatic starting for any amount of storage time at a storage facility or anywhere.
Bingo
Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Great info Bingo. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of that. I have two batteries also, and two 40 pound propanes. I'll have to look at getting the full isolator, but for now have been using the factory battery cut-off. We're planning on at least one to two trips per month, so I'm hoping that is frequent enough not to lose all battery power with using the cut-off.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
An easier solution to make sure your batteries do not drain down is simply to disconnect them while the rig is in storage. Just a thought. What you are doing will work fine, until that day you get to the rig, batteries are dead, genny won't start, forgot jumper cables, and you have to hand crank the front jacks to get the rig onto the hitch. The last part is to be avoided at all costs, believe me. If you have the on board genny, buy a set of jumper cables and leave them in the rig. The price of the cables is of little consequence when compared to hand cranking the rig in 90 degree temperatures (been there, done that, and it is not a pretty sight!!)
Bingo
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #32
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bingo, your are dead on about the Propane usage, per Onan the 5.5 burns 1.1 Gal/Hr under full load, but just to compare a gasoline 5.5 will drink .9 Gal/Hr under the same load. So really not to different, just easier to refuel with a 5 gal gas can rather than pulling a tank to get it refilled.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #33
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks for the great information! It was nice to hear about actual experiences using them for charging batteries, running air con, and benefits of the EG30. We too have dogs that will be traveling in the rig and we need some temperature control. I grew up in Southern California and we never had air con so I can live without it if necessary. However, it is nice to have the ability to push a button and have power.I did hear that the programmable module is fairly easy to use...I will be curious to see if that is experience mhs4771!

Thanks again! I ordered a washer/dryer unit because we are planning several multi-week trips and we will need that with a 6 yr old. We also ordered the select comfort bed. So if we are boondocking we will need a generator to air up the bed (you are supposed to release the air when traveling to altitude) and it will also be nice to have AC or microwave when we need it.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #34
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
UPDATE: For those who are thinking of getting the Onan Generator and have their rig 'generator ready' here is what we found out via Keystone and digging around our rig.

There is NO 'T' for the LP on our model. Per Keystone that is because various installers were wanting the T to be in other places so they just have the installers install it so we don't end up with an extra one. There is an Automatic Transfer Switch...however the rep couldn't tell us where it was located. We can install either the Onan Marquis Gold 5500 or 6500 with either 2-30A or 1- 30A and 1-20A. We are planning on doing the 2-30A (remember I am married to an Electrical Engineer so more amps is always better!)

So digging around in the pass through we pulled the wall where the 'cable TV, staellite' outlets are and found the Automatic Transfer Swtich directly behind those hookups. It had BEAUTIFUL wiring done! My husband, an Electrical Engineer, was very impressed! He took pictures of the wiring so we could study how it is setup so we can decide if we can do the Energy Command Module from Onan. The wires that are wired to the Auto Transfer Swtich then go up the wall, across the celing of the pass through (orange thick cable) to an electrical box on the ceiling near the wall where the generator is. So my husbands understanding is that when the generator is installed they just punch a hole through the front pass through wall and they have immediate access to the wiring. If anyone needs a picture of the automatic transfer wiring or box please PM me. We took several pictures.

We hooked our two Yamaha 2000i models in tandem to the unit and they do NOT run the air conditioner. They do run everything else. Thanks again to everyone who replied. Please keep your input coming. We are now looking at the Onana Marquis Gold 6500 with Energy Command Module
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
We hooked our two Yamaha 2000i models in tandem to the unit and they do NOT run the air conditioner. They do run everything else. Thanks again to everyone who replied. Please keep your input coming. We are now looking at the Onana Marquis Gold 6500 with Energy Command Module
With two 2000 tied together you should be able to run a A/C. I have a Honda EU3000i and I can run the 15k A/C while the batteries are in bulk charge. We are able to operate just as if we were on a 30amp connection.

I do know with the Honda's there are two different kits for tying the units together. The cheaper kit does tie the two units together but you have to still plug directly in to the generator and you are still limited to the max output of the receptacle on the generator (typically 20A). Now if your 2nd 2000i generator is the "companion" it has a 30A receptacle but you only get 30A from it if you have the two tied together. The cheaper kit works. The more expensive kit includes the 30A receptacle and uses power from both units. To get use of all 4000w you have to use this kit if you do not have a companion generator. The 3000 does not have a companion generator but I can still use the 50A kit to tie the two together to get 6000w.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks RickW for the info on the different cable. I just spoke to DH and he says we have the more advanced cable, hooked up both and NO GO on the AC even when we take it out of Eco mode. Everyone keeps telling me that they should be able to run it. So I think the next thing in line for us to do is to call Yamaha while hooking them up and asking them how to make it work. Even the dealership that sold them to us says they should run the AC.

My personal preference is to just switch out to the onboard one and sell the Yamaha's. They are nice but NOT as quiet as an on-board and the on-board does not require hooking up every time we want to use it. I don't know if you know this about me or not but I am LAZY! When I want the Select Comfort Bed I just want to push a button and have the bed fill up.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #37
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

My personal preference is to just switch out to the onboard one and sell the Yamaha's. They are nice but NOT as quiet as an on-board and the on-board does not require hooking up every time we want to use it. I don't know if you know this about me or not but I am LAZY! When I want the Select Comfort Bed I just want to push a button and have the bed fill up.
I still have to agree with you Carol. When we were coming home from picking up our trailer, we overnighted at Cabela's. We got up the next morning and used the microwave for making breakfast and did not have to go out and hook up a genny, run it, wait for it to cool off to stow it, etc. Spoiled, yes - nice? - Heck yes!! Then we were on our way. And as said before, very quiet. My back could not handle hauling around the portables all the time either. Plus you have to worry about hauling around the fuel.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #38
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I hadn't thought about the cool off period on the portables Seahunter so thank you for the additional point in the PRO column for on-board generator! I think my husband is sold on the idea of installing an on-board but we just need to make sure we have the cash! My dad says a 'boat is a hole in the ocean you throw money into' so I guess a Monty is a 'pothole in the road that you throw money into' but we are having fun 'pimpin our ride'!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Yeah, we definitely had fun optioning-out our fiver. We ended up with everything on the Big Sky except the paint, which we didn't really want to worry about anyway.

You might keep your eye out for a gently used Onan and get a good buy. Not trying to say this to make you feel bad in any way... but this is why I try to remind people to think about the genny if they are ordering, because that $5500 generator really only ends up being about $3300 to $3500 when you figure in your trailer's discount off of MSRP. This is still a little more than twin portables, but not by much once you add the connection kits and fuel transfer set-ups for the portables.

In fact, don't know if they'd do it, but you might try to get your dealer to try to order the Onan for you. If they wait to ship it out with another trailer being delivered, there shouldn't even be shipping charges to deal with they could just put it in the trailer to deliver it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #40
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Good point seahunter! Our only problem is that, living in Billings, MT (population of 100,000), there is not a lot of used stuff for us to choose from and our dealership buys all of his Onan's from a local dealer here in town so I don't know if we would order one through Keystone. The dealership said they never order any Monty with the generator because they have found people don't want to pay the extra. I WOULD HAVE! Oh well!

When I lived in California I could get GREAT deals and I would work the systems to make sure I NEVER paid much above cost. Here it is so different! I am trying to find one online that is less expensive than what I would pay here in town.

Thanks again to everyone for the great input! Keep it coming!