Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Gap Between Shower Walls and Tub

Has anyone caulked or sealed the gap between the shower walls and the tub? I am asking about the plastic wall coverings in the shower and not the glass walls and door. If so, did you use a basic silicone sealant (white or clear).
Or is it better to leave it unsealed so the air can circulate for drying?

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I was under the impression it is better to leave air gap for drying.

That is suppose to be a lip joint. Why do you think you need to caulk? If you think there is a leak I would look at the screw buttons that hold the side walls to the studs.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
I asked the same question to the walk-through mechanic this past Spring when we picked up our new to us Monty. He suggested we not caulk.....because it allows the walls to flex. He said as JKohl that there is a lip and no reason to seal. We just caulked the screws and found everything's great!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Mine is caulked, was first thing I did. It will keep the moisture out, soap scum and mold. Why would I let it open? Everything around our homes is caulked. The other thing is the RV industry itself, I'm sure the joint between the wall and the shower bottom is as small as possible. Try this, stick something in the joint and see how open it is. A lot of stuff is going to happen behind that wall with constant moisture. Oh I used clear caulk.

JMO, Kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Reason for caulking for us was a leak. The leak occurs because the factory guys clip off the end of the lip at the corners so that they can get the tub enclosure in easier. I have pointed it out on a number of occasions to Keystone during the factory tour.

We caulked ours. We asked Aram if it would be okay and not lead to additional problems with moisture, etc. His answer was that they didn't caulk only because of time and money and that it would not cause additional problems.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We noted early on that other brand 5th wheel shower enclosures were caulked. The let it breath story just did not sound right. How many home shower enclosures are not caulked. Caulked ours 6 years ago..all is well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I am caulking because my DW said--Chaulk the shower! Anyway--thanks for the advice. Heading to get the right caulk.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote