Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Not Old world Amish craftsman

I am gathering supplies for my Dish install. I stopped at a local RV Dealer that has big Class 'A' Coaches for sale and rent, to buy two tubes of Dicor. I was chatting with the service guy while he looked for the caulking, I told him I was installing the dish and was going to try and not drill into hidden wiring just under the roof. I said I would put a drill stop on my bit and then use a dowel rod to slide around in the hole to feel for wires. He said, I drill from the inside up. I told him either way, you don't know if there are wires in that area. He said he just drills through it.
Now, I am not picking on him just because he had no teeth, and was filthy dirty. I have been filthy dirty around this time of the day as well. The teeth.. well that doesn't matter either.
But I see that it doesn't matter what type of RV a guy has, it's 'Roll the dies' time when you take them in to be worked on.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Ozz,
I can tell you this. If you drill the ceiling inside a closet behind the wall going up the steps of a 3150RL there are coax cables in the ceiling to be careful of not hitting.
Like you say, if you drill just through the ceiling or the roof skin you will probably be able to check for cables and wires.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Joe, yep, that is the super-highway of wires in the Monte. I removed the cowling on the bathroom fan assembly when I installed the Winegard Movin View Dome a few years ago. I knew where the drill was coming through. It was close there.
I will be coming down with the coax in two places, the area above the rear TV enclosure on my 3400RL, and I haven't made my mind up about the front entertainment center yet. Since it is on a slide, I may come all the way under the frame like I did for the outside video camera. Don't know yet.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Was talking with an acquaintance the other day. I knew he had pulled his fifth wheel out of the park we used to be in. When I saw him back, I asked him about being gone. "Well", he said, "I had some warranty issues for the dealer to fix". "Now I'm fixing what they screwed up". That's the way it goes.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I had to laugh when I read the post title. A friend of mine has another name for Amish craftsmanship...cheap labor.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Apparently not all the residents of "Amish country" are really Amish- At least, that is the impression we got during our stay at the service center in Goshen- There was a post some years back concerning some Keystone "techs" who were discharged after being caught smoking that "weed" during the work day- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
True Amish folk tend to have a very high work ethic, but my impression is that it has become little more than a marketing gimmick these days.
I am fortunate to have a RV dealer nearby where the service guys really do have a high standard, but I'm pretty sure they're NOT Amish!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
OZZ,
You must have a snake camera, pop a light ,or vent stick in in and take a look see,my guys use it all the in our property management company,and my monty. I have had one for a year now have two
Buy at HD

Have a great trip

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dave. I have held off getting one, I use other methods of finding broke stuff, but they are nice.