Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
embraceatrend
Established Member

M.O.C. #6316
Dodge 6.7

There is a recall (J35) for any of you that own a 2007-2009 Dodge Ram Truck (2500/3500 series). The Engine Control Module (ECM) under certain conditions can cause heavy sooting of the Turbocharger, Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve and the Diesel Particulate Filter. Heavy sooting could damage components and the ECM needs to be reflashed. My Particulate filter was plugged when we were in Yuma in Nov. 09, and while it was fixed under warranty, they claimed I wasnt driving it hard enough, this software fix will allow regeneration to happen more often and should resolve any sooting problem.

embraceatrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I just had mine reflashed the other day all was ok with my Ram.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Hello Larry , I recently got Chrysler to buy my truck back under the Lemon Law act. Mine was an 07.5 one of the early production trucks , in spite of multiple attempts to resolve all the issues{22 trips to the dealer in 2 years for a total of 31 days}I finally had enough.

That being said , I loved my truck . My neighbor, bought an 09 and started having Cel and regeneration problems as well.They told him NOT to drive around in town with the overdrive on, keep it in 3rd or 4th gear to keep the rpms up, in addition they said to always leave the exhaust brake on. Since he has used this method he has had no more problems, and it has been a few months now. He is still getting poor mileage, but no more flashing gauges.
It seems strange to have a dealer tell you to run your truck harder , but if it works .... You have a great truck and I hope you get many years of service from it . Have a Good Day...Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
embraceatrend
Established Member

M.O.C. #6316
Scott, I found that an odd thing for the dealer to say and he felt odd saying it, but we did as you noted in your post, we dropped it down a gear or two to get the RPM up, rather than drive faster, on a flat stretch pulling the coach in drive at 60-62 miles an hour, we were only getting 1500 to 1600 rpm, dropping it down into fifth gear would bump up the rpm to 1900 to 2000. But as you suggest at the expense of the gas mileage, the dealer claimed that the flash on the ecm should allow us to stay in drive on a flat stretch and the gang on the Dodge diesel page who have got the flash done claim they are getting slightly better gas mileage and a little more pep.
embraceatrend is offline   Reply With Quote