Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
oops! How NOT to get out of Independence

We got out of Independence, MO on December 29 after 8 1/2 hours trying to get out of there. It's a long horror story and I won't go into the whole thing in this thread.

However, there is one thing I want to mention and that has to do with what you should NOT do when trying to get out of the cold, ice and snow.

When you put 1.5 inch foam boards on the sides, bottom, and roof of the slides to help hold in the warmth during the winter, it's probably best to leave it there until the thaw. Otherwise, the foam gets trapped on the slide roof when the freezing rain forms ice on the slide toppers. That topped with five inches of snow causes the ice-laden toppers to sag, trapping the rooftop foam under up to four inches of ice, in the center, and two inches on each side, in our case. That ice is HEAVY!

It required hooking up a hose to the outdoor shower and running both hot and cold water onto the ice on the toppers to thaw it enough so the ice could be slid off the end.

Now, on to what you probably should NOT do... Once that ice starts to break up it is possible to get a snow shovel under parts of it so you can get your arms under it and slide large chunks, say 50 to 100 pounds each, off the ends of the slides. It is probably best to close one's eyes when sliding it off the edge. Otherwise one might see that big chunk of ice crash into and break off an open locker door.

Yep, smashed it clean off the hinge and smacked it into the ground. After thinking "that's it, we're not getting out of here today since it's already late afternoon," I was able to repair the door and get it attached to the rig enough it would hold until we reached warmer weather. Fortunately the hinge was intact and it had just pulled out the pop rivets holding the door to the hinge. And bent the hinge a little and pulled the door's frame out and bent it. All repairable.

This is already too long a story and I've hardly begun telling about our adventures getting out of Dodge (Independence, MO). No need to mention my nice three-high stacks of blocks that were screwed together and had nice handles are still on that concrete pad in Independence because no amount of hot water would free them up from being stuck to the concrete by the ice.

Oh, did I mention when I began getting the outside ready to leave it was 17 degrees and the high for the day was 22?

Anyhow, we finally left Independence at 9:40 p.m. and headed south on I-35 out of KC. We got a total of 42 miles before the snow that wasn't supposed to get there until morning hit the area and started accumulating on the highway. We pulled into a truck stop near Gardner, KS, just 42 miles from where we started, and set the furnace at 55 and hoped the battery would last the night (no generator). It did and a trucker told me next morning we're fine to go despite the couple of inches of snow all over everything. One lane was clear (partially to mostly) and as we got another 75 or 80 miles farther south the second lane cleared. Once the truck showed 33 degrees outside and the road was clear I relaxed a little and set the cruise. Except on bridges. I shut off the cruise on bridges until considerably warmer. We did almost 500 miles that day, a very long day for us, landing in Sanger, TX. We stayed three nights there just to get rested up.

Oh, I didn't mention that while overnighting in that truck stop with no hookups we had no onboard water because the lines were frozen. Not the Montana's fault. It was the fault of the shoddy work done by a mobile repair service who replaced our black tank. Another long horror story for another time. Suffice it to say they did not ascertain that they adequately buttoned things up to keep the lines from freezing.

As for telling the story of our getting out of Independence, I have barely begun. But the rest is for another time. By the way, I knew the landing gear is protected by a fuse but did you know there's also a breaker on the breaker panel that's involved? Another story, another time.

We like walking the beach much better than the ice, snow, and freezing temperatures. Here's a couple of pictures from the beach. The first is a quarter mile walk from our site. The other is 10 miles down the road on a section where you can drive legally on the beach. That second one expresses my dislike for seagulls. I'll disrupt their leisure any chance I get.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Gald you made it safely. Snow and ice and 5th wheels don't match very well.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Great read Steve, things happen. Delaine just tells me this to shall pass, sometimes I wonder. Glad to hear you are in a warmer place. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congratulations on making it to warmer weather. As usual, your stories are educational. First the idea of the foam? I had never heard of that and another reason I hope I don't cold weather camp. But then you provide the disadvantages of it, too. I would never think of carrying a snow shovel. It just never ends.

Your pictures at the end sure don't reflect the weather you went through. Regarding seagulls, I've heard they love Alka-Seltzer. Well, no, they don't - they can't burp out of either end and as the alka-seltzer creates the bio-gas in doing its job, well, I'll leave it at that. PM or email me if I have to describe the gory details. Steve! Put the Alka-Seltzer down.

Good to hear from you again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, I stole the foam idea from RC and Samantha. We just cut it to slighly larger than needed and pressed it into place. It worked very well but was not cheap and I probably won't do it again. Alka Seltzer, huh? Well, I don't dislike them enough to do that to them but I will flap my arms to get them to fly away.

As for the educational part... the other word is "screwups." I have learned from yet another mistake.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Steve, It will only take me about 15 minutes to go get your "three-high stacks of blocks that were screwed together and had nice handles" We have had some great thawing weather since you left. Jim
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, when we left we asked the park managers to pick them up for us and put them in storage, assuming someone else didn't get them first! Thanks for the offer, though. I sure appreciate it.

Besides those three highs there was also a concrete block stuck to the concrete. I had used it to support the half round sewer hose supports to keep the hose on a down angle so I could leave it in place in freezing weather. That block was smack in front of the street side tires. Two of the wood blocks were under the landing gear and the third was under one of the scissor jacks I have behind the wheels. Imagine trying to get out of our site with those obstructions. The pad is concrete and has a curb across the rear, limiting our rearward movement. Plus that one block behind the curbside wheels. Fortunately, with Vicki directing traffic I was able to do several back and forths and get out without brushing tires against the obstacles. She did a really good job of directing me.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So, we finally know who brought all this cold weather to TX! Glad y'all had a safe trip.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Sounds like quite an adventure Steve. I'm glad all is well in the end!
Pete
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Steve!! Our problems seem pretty small now compared to the adventures you've had to travel. We've also learned a lot form your experiences so forge on as I know you will, it can only get better from here!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
What a terrible experience. Glad you made it out of there and down to warmer temperatures.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I'm going to stop commenting on your posts one at a time until I've completely gone through the forum. Each post seems to outdo the previous one and leave my mouth further agape. These adventures are truly worth a book, either a horror story or a tragic comedy that we all can appreciate.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

So that’s the reason a lot of people go south for the winter? I’m beginning to understand. Sorry to hear of your problems but at least you’re hanging in there pretty tough!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

I'm going to stop commenting on your posts one at a time until I've completely gone through the forum. Each post seems to outdo the previous one and leave my mouth further agape. These adventures are truly worth a book, either a horror story or a tragic comedy that we all can appreciate.

Bob
Bob, I keep telling myself these "experiences" will turn into memories, the kind that will bring a chuckle and a smile to my face...someday! Already they're becoming something I can look back at and laugh about. I'm not done, by the way. There is more.... on another day.