Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Charge Line-Truck to RV

I have a 2004 Ford Super Duty. When connected to the RV the running lights and brakes work but I don't think the 12V charge line is functioning to charge the RV battery. Can any one tell me how to trouble shoot this problem? For example which pins in the male connector should supply the voltage and where is the fuse for this line?

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is a web link with a diagram for the pin wiring.
Can't help you with the fuse location on your tow vehicle.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I had to add a relay in the truck engine bay to get power the the 7-pin plug-in. Some trucks are delivered without the relay, not sure why.

See this thread, a few posts down on page two, for details >>>Click Here
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I don't know about the Ford but GM has a fuse that comes with the plug and wiring in the glove box that has to be installed in the fuse panel under the hood, there is a dummy plug in it. I drove mine for 2 years before I knew there was anything wrong, dealer did not supply info probably did not know himself.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
I'm thinking the fuses and relays for your towing devices are under the hood. You might check there.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don't know about the Fords but my fuses for the umbilical cord are up in the engine compartment on my Chevy! I know this because I blew two fuses and finally asked the dealer where they were!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey Berridge,

Do you have two 7 pin sockets on your Ford? I have a factory installed one at the bumper receiver and one at the side of the bed for the 5er. The one in the bed has given me trouble twice and I was able to confirm this by using the bumper receiver which always works. Both times I had to follow the wires back and found the RV installers did a poor job connecting into the existing truck wiring. When I had to do this a second time I went ahead and completely redid the wiring and haven't had any problems since.

But in your case you might have a different problem. There is a fuse for "pin 4", unfortunately I don't know where it is or what fuse it would be. If it has worked in the past and no longer works, you'll need to locate the fuse or like in my similar case the wire may have come loose somewhere and needs to be followed back to its source.

I have a 2006 Ford and if I find the fuse information I will post it and hope it's the same.

ON EDIT: Berridge. I took out my 2006 Ford book and found a location for a "Trailer tow battery charge" 20A cartridge FUSE and a "Trailer tow battery charge" Full ISO RELAY that are located at positions 107 and 301 respectfully. The fuse panel is located below and left of the steering wheel by the brake pedal. You will need to remove the lower cover by pulling on the two finger holes, then remove the fuse panel cover. I had a 2004 Ford and the panel was located in the same place as the 2006, but I don't know if the fuses and relays are in the same location. There should be a "map" on the fuse panel. I hope this helps.

Please let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Thanks all for your helpful replies-one can always rely on this site and its users. I will check for the fuse and relay as soon as I get a chance. I am in the process of pulling up a ceramic tile floor and installing a hardwood floor its place for my daughter so it will be a day or three before I can get to the truck. I'll post what I find.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I got a chance this AM to locate the relay and fuse in the truck. As Art suggested they are located in the panel under the steering wheel. On mine the locations are 107 (fuse) and 301 (relay). I managed to remove and reinsert the fuse but only was able to wiggle the relay. I didn't like to put too much force on it for fear of breaking it so did not remove it. The charge line is now working so it is difficult to determine the actual cause. I'll check the output in the future just in case it goes off again. Any suggestions on how to check a relay? Thanks again for the help. I should have taken the time to look through the owners manual first.