Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Say there bobivy, your statement about pin weights of Montana is almost acurate. My 2005 2955 is not as heavy as the newer ones, so I can use a 2500 truck and stay under all weight issues. It has been weighted. Have a good day. Just my .02$.

farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
As per my signature I have a 3500 DRW 4 door 4X4 it is a 2006. We just got back from Alaska.
We left Ontario and went to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Seattle, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Anchorage, Homer, Steward, and back to Ontario on the Canadian side.
Total was = 19,144 KM with an actual 14.0 MPG (cdn).
We are very pleased with those figures.

Mileage will depend a lot on your driving habits.......
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #23
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Just as a point of reference, my 2010 ram 3500, 4x4, 4.1 rear end dually is tapping out right at 11.0 mpg. But, it is really, really new, less then 300 miles. I'm driving it almost entirely in town since I still have a @#$%%%$#$% job and that number is with no load but my DW and pups. That, of course , is an extremely light load.

I'll pop in here from time to time to let you all know how it improves with break in.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

Just as a point of reference, my 2010 ram 3500, 4x4, 4.1 rear end dually is tapping out right at 11.0 mpg. But, it is really, really new, less then 300 miles. I'm driving it almost entirely in town since I still have a @#$%%%$#$% job and that number is with no load but my DW and pups. That, of course , is an extremely light load.

I'll pop in here from time to time to let you all know how it improves with break in.
Wow - that's horrid! I hope it gets better! BTW, are you hand calculating the mileage? I don't always trust the electronic devices.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'm using the computer only. Haven't had a full tank through it yet.

It's interesting that when I took delivery the computer indicated 19.8 mpg. I was thrilled on my way to my first fill up. I filled up and reset the computer. It went quickly to 9 mpg and has been crawling up since.

I figure now that the 19.8 occurred when they rolled the truck off the carrier. I think the odometer actually had 1 mile on it. Sigh!

I'm not concerned yet because this thing is so new that it has that new hot metal smell, like hot machine oil, every time I park it.

BTW, I'm using the exhaust brake all the time since it's winter here and I'm told that it helps with heating the engine quickly. Do you think the exhaust brake has a big effect in mpg, i.e. am I better off taking advantage of coasting when it's safe and makes sense or is it stupid to 'play' with exhaust brake all the time?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You can always zero out the mpg computer and let is start over. It will get better with more miles. My Chevy computer is fairly accurate for mpg, but is extremely accurate when computing fuel burned. I have a 56 gallon Transfer Flow replacement oem tank and the computer predicts the fuel used to within .3 of a gallon or less.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

You can always zero out the mpg computer and let is start over. It will get better with more miles. My Chevy computer is fairly accurate for mpg, but is extremely accurate when computing fuel burned. I have a 56 gallon Transfer Flow replacement oem tank and the computer predicts the fuel used to within .3 of a gallon or less.
Tom, I am considering the TF OEM replacement tank for my Chevy. My only concern is TF said the on board computer would not work with the higher gal tank. Did you have the truck computer reflashed for a larger tank or does it not calculate properly? I know the standard gauge still shows 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 properly, but what about the "Fuel Range" and Fuel remaining" on the DIC????

Thanks, Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #28
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
Our 09 dodge dually crew cab diesel has only 15000 miles on it so we haven't yet reached our peak mileage but we are getting 9 towing and 15 not towing.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pbahlin, I don't think we've ever had mileage that bad other than when towing. Not even with all city driving. Not even when brand new. Ours is just short of 53k miles now. I sure hope yours gets better.

One thing affecting your mileage, it sounds like you're in an area using winterized diesel. We usually got 1 to 2 mpg less with winter diesel.

As for the exhaust brake, I don't have the engineering knowledge to say either way but my gut feeling is that particular exhaust brake doesn't do much, if anything, towards helping warmup times. Maybe the type that closes a flapper in the exhaust stream would help but the builtin exhaust brake on the Dodge just reduces exhaust to the turbo.

I do turn on the exhaust brake now and then when not towing because our dealer's service manager suggested we do that to keep any carbon buildup on the shaft from keeping the slider from working. It's a slider that reduces the exhaust flow to the turbo. Somewhere I saw an animation of how it works but now can't find it.

I could be wrong about the reduced warmup time. If so, maybe someone can help me understand.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #30
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'm having this weird thing happen now with fuel consumption. Haven't reset the mileage computer yet but the instant reading seems to have a marked improvement.

On the flat I'm seeing extended periods with the mileage in the mid to high teens and I'm also experiencing lots of time under these conditions at just over 1000 rpms on the engine. This is new behavior.

The transmission is supposed to be adaptive and I'm wondering if it is starting to do its thing. It seems to be finding and sticking in overdrive earlier and longer.

If it's doing this, I'd have to say "sweet!". Of course I could just be fantasizing too. After a week of watching my fuel gauge 'spin' down, I'm up for anything.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #31
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
Using the exhaust brake will speed up the warm up on the truck, but at the price of using fuel. If MPG are important to you then either plug your block heater in or have it idle alot less. Mine takes almost 2-3 miles before I start to see any heat when not plugged in. I plug my truck in at night and put it on a timer so it starts to warm up 2 hours before I leave in the AM saving the cost of electricity. Winter fuel will also affect milage between 1-2 MPG. The best thing you can do is make sure you are adding 8 oz. of power service with every tank or other tank and keep up with the maintance. Work the engine hard and don't baby it when towing. The engine was designed to be worked, not driven like the sunday car. It will get better milage once the pistons seat with some hard work. I have the 5.9 and I get between 19.7-22.2 MPG unloaded, and 11-12.9 towing the trailer. Those are hand calculated number, not the computer. (speed and head wind change those numbers up or down) Spend some time on forums like TDR or diesel rams forum to get alot of information on how to help your truck. I am sure you will enjoy your truck. You have one of the best towing platforms out there in my opinion right now! Happy trails!
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pbahlin, yes, the transmission is adaptive. I find on mine that it takes 50, maybe 75, miles for it to "adapt" to towing or no longer towing. At first it will downshift more often when towing up a hill. Once adapted it will downshift far less often and will "dig in" and climb.

Maybe your computer display for mpg works differently than my 2007 does. When I reset mine, it "starts" out with exactly the same mileage it had before reset and then rapidly adjusts the appropriate direction. When I was driving Fords and I hit reset they immediately started over. If I was idling when hitting reset it would start with a very low mpg setting and improve from there. If I happened to be driving down a hill when I reset it would sometimes start out at the max 99.9 mpg and drop precipitously from there.

I mentioned earlier my mileage is far better than you are getting with yours. I don't think I mentioned mine has a 3.73 axle.

Also, you may have not hit this situation but the transmission will NOT go into 6th gear until the transmission reaches some prescribed temperature. Then it will shift. I discovered this when at an rv park 1/4 mile from the interstate. Had to go digging in the manual to find out what was happening. I thought we had a problem. Almost always we drive enough to warm it up before attaining speed where it would be noticeable that it was not yet in 6th and thus it's already shifted.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #33
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Steve:

Any idea what that transmission temperature is? I watched mine today and it never got over 98 degrees on my commute. Air temps are 25 to 35 F and I have a short trip.

I'm going to take it out this weekend for a hard run on the highway to see what happens.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Paul, I don't know. I've neglected putting a transmission temperature gauge on mine. I found the information in the manual so maybe the manual would specify the temperature. It probably says until it reaches normal operating temperature or something like that. It's raining so I'm not anxious to go out to the truck to dig out the manual right now.

98 seems a bit low, though. I wonder where the probe is. If in the pan, then maybe 98 is normal, especially if ambient temperature is low.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Hi Steve:

My 2010 has transmission temp available in what's called the VIC display (Vehicle Information Center). You can get transmission temp, coolant temp, and oil pressure in the VIC.

I took the beast out this weekend for some true highway miles. We went to see our snow bound rig in New Hampshire. Again just using the on board computer, I got 19 mpg for highway miles and now that I'm back in town the commute mileage has improved to a little over 12. this is all without towing .

This computer resets immediately, starting over to get an average mpg after a reset. I think I'm dealing with a really tight new engine. It seems to be getting better daily.

After an hour on the highway my transmission temp got to 142 degrees. The manual doesn't mention what 'normal' is but the temp display has a little marker in the center and it ranges from -40 on the low end to 300 on the high end. The little mark is exactly in the middle and would seem to be marking 170 degrees. It would seem I have a way to go before I get to 'normal'.

I'm driving the long way to get to work just to heat it up. Of course it's also lots of fun to drive so the extra miles just make me smile more. I'm twisting a lot of necks of pickup owners wherever I go. This is one impressive truck!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's sweet, Paul. My 2007 VIC just says "transmission temp OK" along with some other things. But no numbers for temperatures. It has gauges on the dash for engine water temp and oil pressure. My Fords also had a dash gauge for transmission temp but my Dodge does not. I added a second trans temp gauge on the Ford. The temperatures you gave were pretty typical for what I saw. I had the probe at the outlet of the transmission in the line going to the cooler. At the hottest point, in other words.

I like the mpg computer resetting immediately like yours does rather than how mine does. I guess in the long run it's the same but I still like the immediate reset better.

The Dodge engine manual (for the 2007, anyhow) says do not use synthetic oil until the engine is broken in, at 30,000 miles. So it will take awhile to fully break in. Your mileage *should* improve as it breaks in.

Another thing that is kind of hidden in the manual is that no matter how many miles you put on the truck the first 500 miles of towing should not exceed 50 mph so the rearend will break in. I hear that's rather important. I assume the 2010 is the same but doublecheck the manual. I got to 470 towing miles before saying screw it and speeding up.

I think you're going to like the way that truck tows your Big Sky. It's a sweet towing truck. I see yours is named "Babe." Mine is "baby," as in, "good job, baby."
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I too have the '06 5.9 dually. Right now, with 100k on it I'm running about 18.5-19.5 but I'm overdue for a fuel filter. When it was brand new, I freaked when I was getting 11-13...but it didn't take long to start improving alot from there. I haven't pick up the monty yet, but I've hauled plenty of backhoes,heavy loads,etc and got about 12. I too lose 1-2 in the winter.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Just picked up my Dodge 3500 two weeks ago. On order for 3 months. Put in a hitch, storage box, and Firestone airbags, and took off from Colorado for Corpus Christi, TX. Great truck. Gets 15 to 18 not towing and between 9 and 10.5 towing. No problems so far. Love the engine, tow-haul, and jake brake is marvelous. Replaced a Ford 460 so any diesel looked good, but chose the Dodge due to Cummins reputation. A good choice.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pbahlin, if you are watching the mpg display as you drive/tow you may sometimes see the mpg drop over maybe 20 minutes time and you find no reason whatsoever why it should be dropping. Maybe you already know this but that phenomenon has to do with the regeneration / smog control. After 15 or 20 minutes the mpg will start back up. Naturally you lose a little you don't get back because it's using diesel to clean/burn out the diesel particulate filter that keeps that tailpipe squeaky clean. It doesn't seem to use a significant amount of fuel, from what I can tell, but it's still irritating when the mpg starts dropping when common sense says it shouldn't. Just be thankful we meet the 2010 standards without having to fill a urea tank and pay that additional cost. I heard 2.699 per gallon, recently, for urea.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #40
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Sometimes I think the mpg display is counterproductive. I'm approaching 1000 miles now so the novelty is wearing off. Funny thing is I'm getting used to the truck, ignoring the mileage concern, basically just driving and the mileage is going up.

It gets really good when on cruise. I think it drives on cruise better than I can possibly do. I'm at 12.5 around town now which is about 25% better than it was just one week ago.

I did know about the regen hit to mileage. I'm using an additive to help with that. I'm told that the additive creates a cleaner burn, stretching out regen cycles.