Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
hitch security

Hi All,

Finally we're getting ready to roll. Our 2001 3575rl was delivered last Thursday, yesterday we settled on the 1999 Ford 350 Diesel Dually, standard box, used as TV for 5th wheel, very clean, well maintained and low mileage, and it comes with a Husky 20K hitch, while the Montana was delivered with a 16K Reese slider. My concern about the Husky hitch is the lack of a padlock hole to prevent mischief. Original owner had the Husky hitch uncoupled by some twit and had to replace the box, and repair his trailer.

Any recommendations?

maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just replaced a 16K Reese with a 18K Reese this week (old hitch was bent). I am using the same system I have used for 5 years of full timing. That would be NO lock. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I always check (well almost always) when I get ready to tow to simply double check that everything "is as it should be". We've been long timing now for about 5 years and only had one incident. We were at a rest stop in OR and when I checked I saw that a couple of the pins that hold the hitch to the bed had their holding pins missing. Somehow they had worked loose and were laying in the bed of the truck. We were in no danger since the pins were still in place. I simply replaced the holding pins and we've not had a problem since.

I'd just check each time to make sure that everything is OK. There are some 'crazies' out there so we do need to keep checking.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Been pulling a fiver for over 15 years ... never used a lock on the hitch. I do have the breakaway cable attached to a carabiner that goes in the lock hole on the hitch arm ... always makes me check the hookup before hitting the road.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Slightly enlarged the pin hole on the hitch.
Used a long neck padlock in the pin hole.
I also take the handle off and keep it in the truck.
I use the old lock pin for the handle pin.
This way I can lock my Husky hitch.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You guys are making me nervous. I should start locking my rig to the hitch when travelling. I haven't had a problem in over 15 years of towing, but now that I have admitted that, I will probably be the next victim.

I have a hitch lock when it is stored at my stick house, why should I stop securing it just because I am travelling? Even better, I actually have a spare long neck padlock sitting around that I can use for this - DOH!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I'm really paranoid! I drilled out all the the pins that hold the hitch to the bed and the top plate and put small padlocks on all of them. I was affraid some wise kid might pull the pins at night and you know the rest.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
I got a set of the Reese pin lock plates. They replace the normal retaining clips and are made to have a padlock hooked through the hole in each one. Got 4 padlocks key'd the same and one for the hitch latch, all secure. I'm not so parinoid on the road as I am concerned when the rig is setting here at home. We live in the country and from time to time things disappear.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the pin locks for my Reese hitch and I use a padlock on the locking lever for the pin release. I am concerned about Vandals with too little to do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I have the pin locks for my Reese hitch and I use a padlock on the locking lever for the pin release. I am concerned about Vandals with too little to do.
I too have the same,makes me feel better having it some what secured.Of course if some one wants it badly enough,they will get it I guess.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We make a point of us both walking around the rig and checking everything every time we stop. It's a good habit to get into. I have the hitch locked but not the pins.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Years ago, we were camping near a metropolitan area. When the weekenders left on Sunday, several units dropped their 5ers on the pickup box. Obviously, vandals were responsible and we have locked our 5er ever since. Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
I keep the hitch and hitch pins locked at all times. Not only am I concerned with someone uncoupling the hitch, but also stealing the whole setup when not towing. I also do a walk around when ever we stop for fuel or to rest.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It would be very quick and easy for someone to pull the handle when they walk by our hitched up rig and then just walk away. We often remained hitched up when stopping overnight while on the road. And sometimes we make a stop while on the road, into Walmart or a restaurant, for example. I use a padlock to ensure the hitch cannot be released.

I've never had anyone pull the cotter pins or whatever they're called but that could be done, also. However, they'd have to climb up on the rails of the truck bed to reach them when the Montana is attached. I try to remember to check those each time I return to the truck but don't always remember to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Thanks to all who gave advice. I have removed the Husky 20K, and installed the Reese, mainly because it has a locking mechanism.
A request to Husky support did not provide a locking procedure, just the suggestion that I check it each time I stop. When I explained that a brief traffic stop was the cause of a vandal disengaging the hitch, I got no further replies, so if anyone needs a Husky 20K with rails and all hardware please contact me.
maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm with you, DJM. Even if I checked the hitch after every stop, which I do, if we were stopped on an uphill and someone pulled the lever, the Montana could slide back down the hill and drop onto the bedrails. My superglide does not have a hole designed for a lock but the hole the handle goes through is large enough I can put a padlock through it. The lever has to be lifted and pulled so the fin on the bottom of the handle clears the hole. The padlock makes it impossible for it to be pulled out. Just peace of mind for me.

Congratulations on the new rig. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Gee thanks, Steve... more stuff to buy!

And some previous post you were correct in calling them "cotter pins". These are pins that mount into a hole at the end of a larger pin that is used for holding something together. The cotter pin has a large loop and a smaller loop. The smaller loop wraps around the larger pin to prevent it from falling out and the larger loop is for pulling the cotter pin away from the larger holding pin, so that the larger pin can then be removed to unfasten what it was holding down.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I was taught that Cotter keys (or pins) have a loop on ONE end and two straight legs, one longer than the other. Used to secure the nut holding the wheel bearing on. The hitch pins are called HAIRPINS.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I just call them safety pins and not the kind you used to use on diapers! I just use them on all my handles and rails on my slider. I'm 6'1" and I have real problems reaching the pins when I put them in or pull them out on the top of the hitch! Can't reach the bottom pins at all unless I get on my belly in the bed. I also have a Bedsaver and that gives me a little more peace of mind also. I also do the walk-around each and every time we stop and leave the unit by itself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #20
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I use cable ties on the end of the pins securing the hitch to the rails. Not a lock, but just a deterrent as someone would have to get in there and cut the cable ties before pulling out the "pins" securing the pins holding the hitch to the rails.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote