Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
GM MDT's (Kodiac, Top Kick) are gone...

Too bad...

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...5573WX20090608

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I mentioned not to long ago that the days of the "big truck and Big camper" may be over ..No way most replied.... Right.....Stay tunned.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, while I think you may be on to something, this was coming before the new CAFE standards. GM had been looking to sell this production unit for a few years. I don't think I'll ever need a MDT, but I hope Ford and Dodge will fill the gap for the sake of those who need them. I do believe in a matter of years, you will pay the penalty for owning a vehicle that does not meet the "standards".

Our plans over the next couple years will probably put us in another stick house down here in the TX coastal bend area between Corpus Christi and Rockport. It is a constant battle on the coast trying to keep up a house on a steel frame, with many other components that the salt will attack.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes Rich, I clearly remember those words and most of the reaction from them. Love those trucks though, but the DW says there is no way in h*#* she is ever riding to the grocery store in one of those big butts!!! One can't possible foresee what Chrysler or GM might be like even in 3 months! Fasten your seat belts folks, the ride is not over just yet!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
China bought the Hummer but did not bite on the MDT truck and those folks know where the money is. They also have not bought one of the bankrupt RV companies. Think about that hard for awhile????
Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
A flipside opinion is that navistar may still come back to the table on GM's scrapped Kodiak at a cheaper price. The big units aren't just for haulin' rv's.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

There's a Kodiak dealer near us who currently has about 8 new units on their lot last count... been there for a while (no beds).Several are crew cab.If just one of the crew cabs had a front differential under it and by some odd chance had a Cummins inline 6 under the hood I would possibly be interested...but not DW

The opposing team,Dodge dealer has 5 new "2008" at last count roll bed's/no beds some crew cab 5500 series on their lot,some 2009's also,all extra long beds.Lots of new MDT's everywhere for sale in our area right now.

The industrial /otr tire company I sell for has 2 fairly new Cummins powered Ford MDT's in the fleet.I've rode in both trucks,both have extra long work beds.Both trucks ride pretty rough in my opinion...even loaded down.

I suppose an air ride suspension seat would smooth the ride out but don't know how a 4x4 MDT would ride I may put that on the agenda for this week.Not really looking for a new truck just curious.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2 Sinks

I suppose an air ride suspension seat would smooth the ride out but don't know how a 4x4 MDT would ride I may put that on the agenda for this week.Not really looking for a new truck just curious.
Careful, Philip! That how we all start out... and then end up with a new tv sitting in our driveway and a "How did that happen..." look on our face.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I hope something positive comes of all this.However considering the new economic conditions and the energy issues I look at the European nations and the vehicles they drive and see us heading in that direction. I had related the story of the French exchange students and their adult teachers who were at the school I drive for. They crowded around my big Ford truck and took pictures in and around it. They had never seen anything like that..and for pleasure yet....only in America..but not for long I am afraid.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well there will be large Trucks, might not be anymore 1 tons DRW's but there will be Class 8 Trucks. you don't really think everything you can see in eye site can be delivered by plug up Trucks. I also know for a fact that there are 43' 5th wheel with 3 axles being built and sent to Europe, don't know what type tow Truck they are using. Oh well they sure can't take away the experience we have had. DW and me will RV as long as possible. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You build them lighter, they become less durable, but that maybe where the RV industry is headed to deal with the loss of trucks powerful enough to tow. Montana style RVs may be replaced by the dinky European caravans that would not do well for long timing or full timing. Rving, as a lifestyle, may go the way of dinosaurs because of government intervention, all made easier buy the government being the major stockholder of GM and Chrysler and therefore, controller of internal policy as well as the designer of regulation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
A lot of those trucks (4X4) are sitting in Dealer lots here in Western Canada that were scheduled to go into the Oil Patch and didn't make it because of the down turn of drilling activity etc. It is a supply and demand issue. Kenworth has huge trucks specifically manufactured for off road in the oil patch sitting in Dealer yards with values of $750,000 each. Doesn't take many of those in multiples to not move over a short period to cripple both Dealer and Manufacture. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2 Sinks

Careful, Philip! That how we all start out... and then end up with a new tv sitting in our driveway and a "How did that happen..." look on our face.
Dsprik- I know very well what you are saying...It happened to me!! After a 20 year hiatus from Corvettes I got bit by the bug and came down with an acute case of Corvette fever in April 1995.A few days later I pulled in the driveway with a like new 1994 Corvette,the fever lasted for almost 11 years and encompassed 2 Corvettes.I got out of the hobby in 2005.

I don't think the big rig trucks/mdt/pickups 1 ton etc.etc. are going anywhere.Our Great American Nation depends on trucks all day everyday to keep things moving.I can't even keep count on how many trucks come and go from our tire shop daily be it out of state big rig,local cartage big rig,UPS,Fed X,3/4 ton 1/ton delivery not to mention our fleet of pickups/mdt's.I won't believe it till I see it.So what if there is surplus right now...Some one will come along and buy the trucks,it will happen,it always does.

Remember if you got it...it got there by truck.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sportchassis' are getting cheaper by the day...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Montana Sky we are having a Frightliner brought up from Alabama tomorrow. It is Pre-owned but it has 50,000 miles on the OD. Its a 2006 model when new it was $110,000. Its all leathered up, air ride suspension, air ride seats, rear air, 330hp and big Allsion trans, back up camera etc. All the bells and whistles. If its as clean as it looks we will go with the Freightliner. It was owned by a local and the dealership owner knows the prior owner. We have bought 5 other Trucks from the same dealership. I'm hoping it works out I really want to get away from the Big 3 Truck. If not now I will for sure in the future. Oh well if its suppose to happen it will, thats what Delaine says. We also owned a Chevy Kodiak 4500 and it was the best riding Truck we have ever owned, I really made a bad decision for letting it go, no other 1 ton had the ride the Kodiak had. But it GM's fault for letting the company get run into the ground, and they have lost a good customer. GBY....
Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
They came with the Freightliner from Ala today and we took her for a long road test. Seems to be a good Truck, everything works. As soon as Delaine set in the Air ride jump seat, great big smile. So I guess its a done deal. Just a couple thing to talk about and then sign the dotted line, all the paper work is done and approved. I'm fully aware of the Air ride systems, just like riding a cloud. The Mercedes 330hp and 1,000 lbs of tork, means no worry about towing anything we will ever own. Life is good. GBY....
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #17
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Guns and Trucks are the same. Most people have both. If I had the room and the cash I would buy some SUV's and Pickup Trucks and put them in storage. Once the rage of the little car is over, people will still want the large vehicle. I would have some to sell at a good price.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
Send me pics... Did you go with a Sportchassis conversion? I have been looking at them for a few years now and would pull the trigger if the terms line up just right.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave, I'll have Delaine work on that. It is a awesome Truck, and it a real MDT. It is a conversion with the hauler bed. All kinds of options, Mercedes 330hp, 1,000 lbs of torq. Air ride suspension, Air ride seat, with dump valve for lower the rear of Truck for hooking and unhooking, and of course when you stay hooked up you can level up front to rear. Rear seat folds down to make 3/4 bed. Looks like we will go and bring it home the 22 June, going next week to visit grandkids. GBY...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
GM had been looking for a buyer for it's medium duty truck for over 3 years. Sadly, I am reminded of the GM Motor home of the late 60's. I still see them around from time to time, so they must have had something going for them. Other discontinued GM products include: Semi trucks, Buses and Diesel Train Locomotives. It is so sad to see America lose it's manufacturing base.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote