Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another view on fridge on or off when towing!!

Interesting reading:
Fridge on or off
.....and for what it's worth, not to instigate another flaming type thread, but for information purposes for those who wonder about this, I will admit that on long trips we travel with fridge on propane. I know this is a much discussed and posted topic, but with the influx of new members, I feel it is a worthwhile topic.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo, Link does not work. It may be because I am not a member of the Blog.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
HMMM...

Link worked for me, and I'm not a member there.

Thanks for posting it. I'm taking my first trip with the Monte in about two weeks, and wondered about that (don't want to spoil the food, or get the beer warm )
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The link was extremely slow but it did open for me. Interesting article, however, I don’t see where he really addresses the issue as to whether or not it is actually safe to travel with it on. It’s kind of like everyone’s own personal opinion as to whether or not it’s safe. I think as mentioned there is always a risk factor there but I’m more curious as to whether or not it is legal or not to drive with it on. I would suspect that each state may have different laws concerning this which would only add to the confusion in trying to sort things out. There also seems to be a continuous circle of thought of do’s and don’ts but I would rather see actual statistics on any accidents which involves the use of propane?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
John,

Go back and try again. The first time I hit the site I got just a screen containing the information I was lookng for for just a short moment and then it switched to a login or signup screen. I exited the site and relaunched. The second time I was able to read throgh the entire text without problem. I am not a member either.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fridge on for me. I have never met an RVer that ever had any sort of situation concerning the fridge being on while traveling.

I quote my comment from an earlier thread..
Quote:
quote:As I have said many times before, "I am very leery and have little faith about anything that comes via RVNET." and this is no exception.
Take from it what you want but be a bit leery from where it comes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Fridge on for me also. That's the way it was designed to work, that's the way I use it.

You can 'what if' yourself to death with these rigs...anything can happen at any time.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At least he is honest and admits to running with the LP on. I ran the 3400 with the LP on and I run the SOB with the LP on.

I think the question should be to turn off or leave on when fuelling your vehicle. That would be an interesting discussion. I have seen every type of "violation," at fueling stations that you can think of. Heck, just the exhaust pipe of a diesel pusher is hot enough in some cases to ignite certain fumes. What if you had just done an automatic "regen." Wow. Talk about hot.

I pulled into a station the other day to put diesel in and at 1 ton pulled in and the female drive got out with a cigarette hanging and started pumping fuel. Diesel may not be as volatile as gasoline, but what about the other people pumping gas at the same station.

You just can't win.

I'll leave the LP on.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We run with it on.There are some places that will advise you to turn it off (tunnels) Bridges) we have not seen hard evidence that it is unsafe. And.... I think RV net is a great forum..Lots of good information there..It paints a larger picture of RV ownership. In my opinion only of course...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We always travel with the frig on propane. Some people also have the hot water heater on while traveling so they will have hot water when ever they stop. Seeing campers at the diesel pumps don't bother me but when I see one at the gas pumps I always wonder what if...
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Fridge on and water heater off. I see no reason to run a water heater when traveling as it takes only a few minutes for hot water.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We run with it on.There are some places that will advise you to turn it off (tunnels) Bridges) we have not seen hard evidence that it is unsafe. And.... I think RV net is a great forum..Lots of good information there..It paints a larger picture of RV ownership. In my opinion only of course...
Rich, I also see a lot of good on RV net but I also see a lot of so called "experts" giving out a lot of bogus or unverified information.
Now RV net has this blog.rv.net thingy with some very experienced individuals and some not so experienced individuals and it is some of these types that give RV net it's bad name.
Way too many of these type individuals are preaching an RV gospel and way to many individuals are becoming believers. I preach that you should believe very little of what you read on the internet. Not one of us can verify for a fact that anything you read on RV net, even here on the MOC or the internet as a whole is anything more than a lot of hype, gossip, dung, buffalo chips, garbage, junk, bull, you name it.
One thing about the MOC family is many many of us have met face to face with a huge number of the MOC family members. Having met personally, shared a meal or a drink or just sat and BSd goes a long way to knowing where we all are coming from. I do trust my family but not so much total strangers who I happen to converse(?) with on RV net.
Yes, RV Net does have a lot of good people and great information but just how does anyone decipher and seperate the great, the good, the some what helpful and the absolute load of crap information?
AGAIN>>>
Quote:
quote:Take from it what you want but be a bit leery from where it comes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take from it what you want but be a bit leery from where it comes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn, That's what I say about the entire internet!!!!!!!! I think too many people take the internet for gospel!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I agree many people communicate as tho they know the answer, I disagree that the internet should not be believed, I have many cases where an issue has lead me to do a google and know how to resolve my issue. Granted the google is extensive, in multiple aspects, directions to make sure my corrective action will resolve the problem. I have found it is even better than the factory manuals...
Yes, MOC is in another place when it comes to considering responses...people are much more humble and I believe a step above other sources of information.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine
Rich, I also see a lot of good on RV net but I also see a lot of so called "experts" giving out a lot of bogus or unverified information.
There is lots of "bogus or unverified information" on ALL forums...including this one.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Running with the refrigerator on is a personal decision. We have done it when the weather was very hot and we were traveling west -- the sun beating on the side of the rig where the refrigerator is located. On other occasions we have traveled up to six hours with it off and everything was cold inside the refrigerator, temp at 41°.

My only caution is that you beware when you pull into a refueling station. I have seen the after effects of a travel trailer going up in flames because the refrigerator was on propane while refueling. You may say, "Well I'm putting in diesel and it is not that flammable." You have to remember that there are gas fumes everywhere in a refueling station and it is the fumes that cause the flare up.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote