Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Opening Slides - Level Really Needed?

Have I been doing this wrong for over a year? I read in several other threads things like 'can't open slides right now because rig not level', 'won't open because unit not level'. I don't mean 20 or 30 degrees from level but just sitting on the driveway or road; maybe 4 inches needed to level. Is it really a problem to open the slides? How far off level can we be and safely open the slides without damaging the mechanism? Haven't noticed any problems but want to avoid having any. Thanks to all in advance.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I don't know what is considered the proper procedure for opening slides, but I do know that they will stick or bind if the trailer is set up so that it is racked, or twisted along the chassis. I find what works best for me is to back the trailer in, or park in a pull through and then level side to side with boards or blocks on the proper wheel and While still conndected to the truck I open the slides. Then I unhook and level front to rear. I also retract the slides after I have hooked and raised the landing gear when I'm getting ready to leave. My thinking is that there should always be pretty much the same stress on the trailer frame doing it this way. Don't know if it is right, but it works for me.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I don't know how far you could be off level and still open the slides but I sure wouldn't worry about 4 inches or so
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This being our third fifth wheel, we have followed the same procedure and information we first received. Not more than a bubble off or don't open the slides. This is also important for the frig as it needs to be level to run properly. Can Dale jump in here and give us his wisdom.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
When I bring coach home between trips, it sits approx 3" off left to right. After 3 year w/ my 3400RL and 2 years previously with my Mountaineer and no trouble, I would have to say that 4" should not be any different. If you are going to open them to load/unload or work on the coach while being high on one side, I do not see how it could cause any issues. If you are talking about being set up for a week or two being 4" off, I suggest one rethink that campsite.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd like to hear MIMF's comments about this. We've opened ours when a little off level but I'm afraid to do so when very much off level.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We try to be as close to level as possible. I disconnect before extending the slides and retract them before reconnecting. Sometimes, I find that I just can't get exactly level side to side, but I insist on being level forward and aft. In the cases where it is difficult to get level I make sure the bubble level in the refrigerator is not more than 1/4 way off bubble.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I level both directions before extending the slides as well as hooking up after they're retracted.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I try to get mine as level as possible. I think it was on our third trip with our 3295 when we stayed at an un-level site. It was late and we were tired so we just put the slides out and went to sleep. Next morning the kitchen slide would not come in. We were about 4 to 6 inches off level. We finally got it back in by me standing on the lip inside the rig and Mary Kay working the switch. Everything seemed ok. But a few weeks later my brother was down to do some work on the rig when we discovered we had broken all the support gussets under the kitchen slide. Granted they were very weak structures but I'm sure it was because of the off level site. We have since corrected the weak supports. So obviously we have tried to get as close to level as we can since that incident. We do sometimes park with only an inch or two off level..... but we don't like to.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote