Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Heads up on the Oak Veneer

FYI: Stuck a little note with a 1/2 inch piece of scotch tape, inside, by my door today. (Just a little email address someone was coming by for)

They showed up, pulled off the note and the Veneer came off with the tape!

Just thought you might want to know before you peel off your veneer.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Been there, done that. There are some cosmetic things that can be done to lessen the visual effects of the tear. We found some wood colored "pens" to get the right color and using the darker pens to creat grain effect. The we carefully lacquered the affected area with a satin finish in an effort to match the sheen of the finish. Not perfect, but better than a whitish blotch on the wall.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have used stain and then followed up with the wood colored pens.I also heard that shoe Polish works too.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The cupboard doors of our Montanas are solid Oak but all the cupboard fronts are really photo finish panelling and that is why you must use pins or small screws when you want to attach something.
The wall panels are the same.

I wonder if anyone has ever covered the imitation panels on the front of the cupboards with real 1/8th thick oak veneer panels. You would have to move the doors out a wee bit but it would make the cupboards much richer looking.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can use Velcro (industrial strength) to hang things on the veneer walls and cabinets. To remove - apply heat from a hair dryer and it removes with no damage to the veneer. We've done this when trading in our 03. The only thing to remember is to go slow when removing the Velcro.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wrenchtraveler,

How much do you think a panal of that oak wall veneer stuff would weigh???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
fla native,
Thanks for the heads up on this. I have not done it yet and I do not think I would have even thought about what would happen when I pull the tape off. Another thing I added to my "tips" list for the Montana. Thanks agian.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Wrenchtraveler,

How much do you think a panal of that oak wall veneer stuff would weigh???
Al & Carol, According to my rigger's chart, one cubic foot of dry hardwood weighs 40 pounds. I figure a 1/4" x4' x8' sheet of oak plywood would be about .664 of a cubic foot or 26.6 pounds.

I am sure my whole Montana would not take 2 sheets to cover the cheap paper finish wood panelling so someday I might do it. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Interesting numbers! Thanks Don!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Here's another idea for hanging things in the Monty. Phyllis and I use the removeable picture hanging velcro strips from Scotch or 3M. They work great and are easily removeable. just grasp the tab and pull it slowly down, it doesn't remove the veneer and leaves no residue. We have hung pictures, shehlves etc with it, and each strip (approx 2 in long) holds about 6 pounds. Just soemthing to think about.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We have a nice little Western "Sand Painting" from New Mexico hanging on our cabinet over the spot where we had placed a little calendar which was given to us at "Dad's RV Park" in Victoria on our way back from our first trip to the Valley a couple of years ago.

The calendar looked great until the year rolled over and when I went to remove it....

I second the "heads up".
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote