Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Montana_4690

M.O.C. #4690
A/C iceing up

We bought a used 3280 and love it so far. The trailer was from the North.I am told that the thermister needs to be properly mounted on the coils and this will prevent further problems. The ends of my coils are not visable with the filter cover off. It appears that there has been some kind of vent modification done, and this may be why I can't see the sides of the coil.Can anyone give me some insite on why the ducts could have been rerouted (to cool/ heat better)This A/C has the quick kool also. Our local dealer has not been too helpful, and way over worked.

Montana_4690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Bill - I also have a 2003 3280RL and my AC also ices up. Seems to help if I keep the blower on high, and sneek up on the temp that I want it to be inside. Letting the AC cycle until I reach the desired Temp. Also had leaking problem, which was fixed by dealer who added a plastic tray type thing which diverted the Air from blower to keep it from blowing the condensation into the coach. Also found out that it helps to keep the front of the coach a little lower than center. But bottom line is it still freezes when real humid, I will be watching this subject with hopes someone has a solution.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had this problem in my coach two summers ago. I have found if I leave the fan on high and also in the "on" position rather the "auto" it seems to keep things from freezing up. Not sure if this part made a difference or not but I also leave the vent open in the living room just a crack instead of "ducting" all the air. A friend said if you duct the entire airflow some of the cool moist air stays in the coils and contributes to the freezing up of the unit, by allowing some to dump right into the living room it allows all the cooler air to exit the a/c.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I used to have that problem and they fixed it, it was two things that needed attention on mine, first was a sensor on the coil that is supos to turn the compressor off and I also needed a new flashing gasket between the air-conditioner and the roof. mine would sound as though the fan wasnt even turning it was a sad noise. but after they did those changes it has never iced up and I use high or low speeds. if I had the repair order I could quote what they did to you but thatis in the RV and thats in the storage lot.

TT2