Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Bad Luck???

We had a bit of bad luck coming home from Seaside, Or. The strap that holds the TV in the bedroom either didn't (my fault) get tightened or the attachment failed.

Has anyone had to replace the mirrored door to their closet?

dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ouch. Too late to find blame.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Boy are we glad to have company. We did that last winter. If the frame isn't bent you should be able to get a local glass shop to make or order a new mirror for you. A new one from Montana will be $75 crate charge plus shipping. If the frame is bent you can order just the frame and get the mirror locally. The frame comes in a cardboard tube and shipping is cheap.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Be sure you replace with safety backed glass like the original. Don't want anybody to get hurt.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
yeah, that's very important!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
We had the mobile glass repairman come to the house. He was the wundshild fixer for about 10 years. He now does it ALL. He took on the GLASS DOCTOR franchise.
To make a long story short, Measured the mirror, called and ordered mirror, took frame and broken mirror with him. Came back 5 days later installed the mirror and $185 later left.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Wow, that's a pretty good price to pay for the mirror, labor and installation all within a weeks time!! You got pretty lucky to find someone willing to do a house call. So, you don't have bad luck at all. It's all a matter of perspective.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have been thinking about those straps to hole down our bedroom television in the back of our 3685. The verdicts still out on whether to trust them or not. Reading this adds another vote to just siting it on the floor every time we travel.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have been thinking about those straps to hole down our bedroom television in the back of our 3685. The verdicts still out on whether to trust them or not. Reading this adds another vote to just siting it on the floor every time we travel.
I looked at the straps that attach with sticky pads and decided that I wasn't going to trust them. I got a couple of eye bolts and oak closet rod ends. I used the closet rod ends to dress up the bolts where they protrude from the bottom of the bedroom TV ledge. Then I found a couple of straps in a sporting goods store and tightened them down. I put a layer of nonskid material on the top of the tv to keep the strap from sliding off of it. I also have nonskid under the tv so it doesn't slide that way.

That TV isn't going ANYWHERE.... I guess I'll have to make that one of the items on our list for show & tell

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
IN our 2001 3280RL there were two screws in the top of the front lip that stick up about 1/2". The TV can't jump over the screws.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:45 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Have a lip that holds the TV in--but better safe than sorry and so we think that we will be beefing up the safety factor there. Meanwhile TV will sit on a no-slide pad on the floor. Sorry to hear of your problem--but glad that the fix wasn't too horribly expnesive. Thanks for sharing.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
OK you guys, here is how I mounted our bedroom tv....

Here is the overall view of the bedroom tv. Sorry it is a little out-of-focus. I didn't notice in the camera screen...
http://tinypic.com/b3swwn.jpg

Our tv is a little too deep for the compartment so it won't sit behind the front lip. I put a layer of non-skid there to help give the plastic something to bite into.
http://tinypic.com/b3szm1.jpg

To make sure it doesn't rock out of place while on the road, I mounted eyebolts to hook a strap onto. I went to a sporting goods store and looked into their camping/backpacking area. I couldn't find one strap that was long enough so I got two. I also found the hooks as they were not included with the straps.
http://tinypic.com/b3t0zr.jpg

I used oak closet rod ends to dress up the bolts where they come through the bottom of the tv compartment. I wanted to stain them to match the walls better, but I was rushing to get ready for a trip at the time. I'll take them off to stain them Real Soon Now
http://tinypic.com/b3t0k4.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b3t080.jpg

I found that the straps would slide off the top of the tv so I put a layer of non-skid there as well. The nylon straps do tend to stretch over time so I check and retighten now and then.
http://tinypic.com/b3tm3n.jpg

I am well statisfied that this tv is NOT going to fall off and break our closet door!!

Eric
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 AM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Guess you are talking about a different set-up, but with us we just bungie the TV cabinet doors closed and have never had a problem.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #14
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

Guess you are talking about a different set-up, but with us we just bungie the TV cabinet doors closed and have never had a problem.
No doors....

Eric