Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Fix a Flat & other Remedies

There are several products out that can be installed into a tire before use to prevent flats due to a puncture. Is anyone using any of them and do they work well.

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
SAVE YOUR MONEY....

Don't put anything into a tire to prevent a flat nor to repair one.

First of all anything you can put into a tire to prevent a flat must be in some form that can freely move or flow around inside the tire. This movement will destroy any wheel balance.

Fix-A-Flat is CRAP. It is a corrosive acid based chemical and will ruin the inside of a wheel in very short order not to mention the wheel balance. It is very doubtful that this crap will do anything for the flat tire and I can promise you it won't "FIX" it. If for some stupid reason a person was to use this Fix-A-Flat crap PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE inform the Tire Tech that you have used Fix-A-Flat. As he breaks the tire down there is always a little trapped air escaping under force. This Fix-A-Flat crap will be forced out of the tire possibly directly into the Tech's face. So again, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE inform the Tire Tech that you have used this Fix-A-Flat crap.
One other thing, NO can of Fix-A-Flat can inflate your trailer or tow vehicle tires to an inflation pressure that would be safe to continue driving.

If you have a flat put on the spare or have road service such as Good Sam's ERS.

I spent many years and my brother still is in the tire business and I know from where I speak. But if you want a second opinion go to any reputable tire shop and ask them.

AND while on the subject of flats, NEVER EVER PLUG A TIRE! The only good tire repair is a patch and/or plug combination installed from inside the dismantled tire. There is absoultely NO WAY anyone can inspect the damage to the inside of a tire by shoving some piece of rubber in from the outside.
I have found large nails still sticking in the tire. From the outside it looked pretty much like that was the only problem. After dismantling the tire from the wheel we found the nail had moved around destroying the inner liner. On the inside of all tubeless tires is a rubber liner which took the place of the old inner tube. It is this rubber liner you want to repair not the tread area. As you can't see this liner while the tire is still on the wheel you CANNOT repair the tire with any confidence that it will not leak. To prove this point ask any Tire Tech(I'm using the term "Tire Tech"loosely) installing such a plug from the outside if he guarantees the tire will not leak.
NO REPUTABLE tire dealer repairs a tire by inserting a plug from the outside. Again, you don't have to believe me, go get that second opinion and that second opinion can come from no one but a reputable tire dealer.

This is a lot more info than you were looking for but I feel too strongly about the tires we are not only hauling our Montanas with but we are also hauling our loved ones on these tires. Be it you, your spouse, your children or grandchildren tires are not the place to be concerned about the cost of a flat repair.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
The "fix-a-flat" product has propane in it. Could be dangerous to the person repairing the tire. That said, I have a hunting vehicle which has a fluid in each tire to prevent flats and it works. Been in the tires for years with no "visible" problem. This vehicle never exceeds 30 mph in normal use. As Glenn said, you will not have a tire balanced using this product. I would never use it in my 5er, car or truck.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Wow Glen!!
Your really serious about your tires. You sound alot like Mel when he is pasionately trying to make someone understand the importance of engine maintainance on their cars and trucks. I'ts like real excitment for him. I have heard of most all of what you are saying from a lot of different people, and have never heard anyone say the fix a flat actually worked. I think it is just a marketing ploy to hoodwink those of us who are uneducated in mechanics. Ya know, I can't wait untill the day we get to meet you guys on the road someday (hopefully in the not too far future), You and Mel seem to be alot alike in many ways. Anyway, thanks for the info and the warnings.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I guess I am a lot like Glenn. I replace tires long before they get to the replacement indicators on the tires. I never repair a tire...I buy a new one. My kids like the way I am as they always want my old tires.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 AM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Another thing Glenn didn't mention about when plugging a tire, is when they run the plugger into the hole they also may break more cords. I too am a firm believer in having the best tires on. It is cheap life insurance.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Thanks Glenn, what you stated is good information that most owners don't even think about. They hear or see fix-a-flat and right away they think its the best/greatest thing for when they have tire problems. Best advice - always keep the right air pressure, change out cracked tires regardless of age of tire, buy the best tire for the need and always care a spare.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Nice post Glenn,

Thanks

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glenn
Thanks for the post. Ed is gonna love you when we meet. He is very passionate about tires on our vehicles. Always replaces them when I think they still look good. We just got blind sided by the former 5ers tires not realizing age made a difference. He told me the other day that Monty will be 2 or 3 years old when we go to Alaska and we will need new tires before we go!
Thanks Again for all the good info.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote