Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I think the Grey tank is leaking.

At least I hope it's the grey tank and not something to do with rain. It has rained everyday here for the month of June. Sometimes pretty hard. If the rain is coming from the right direction I bring in the bedroom slide. If not I can leave it open and it does not leak.

Weds evening I was sitting out talking to some friends. We actually had a rainless day. I was sitting at just the right angle to see water dripping from the underbelly. The drip was pretty much lined up with the step about four feet in. I crawled under and pushed the front section of underbelly with my head and plenty of water came out from the seam where the water had been dripping. It was not black tank, thank goodness.

I turned off the water and drained the fresh, the grey and the black. The drip had stopped by morning. So I turned the water back on with the grey tank open. No drip that day. So I thought it's not the hot water tank. Friday morning I closed the tanks, took a shower and headed off. It poured on Friday. I mean serious rain. By Friday evening the drip was back.

So I am thinking it's a leak in the grey tank towards the bottom of the tank or it's a rain issue. Which I hope it's not. I will be emailing Nic Davis tomorrow and wanted to pass on your comments or experiences you might have had with this type of leak.

Anyone have any opinions here? For those of you who have had grey tank leaks, what type of residual damage was left to the underbelly? As much as I would like to get under the unit and take down the lining and have a look, after the last two days of downpours there is standing water under my unit and no way am I going to crawl around in it.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 AM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
fla native, If you search last weekend you will find a post I made about fixing my own tank. Water isn't going to hurt that tank. It is ABS plastic. The worst it will do is....leak.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After some significant rain and a lenghthy washing, I saw a leak coming out of the seam in the belly pan. Like you, I pushed up on the low spot in the pan and a great deal of water came rushing out. That tied a knot in my stomach. I dropped the pan and found that the "water reservoir" had been there for some time due to the discoloration of the Artic package Aluminium insulation. I mused that I must have a tank leak.

While getting my rig repaired from the blow-out, I had the shop explore for a leak. None was found. He stated that water can find its way into the belly pan from rain. We discussed solutions and decided to go to the low point of the belly pan and drill two or three small hole to act as drain holes to prevent accumulation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's a good idea, Stiles.

BJ, we had a leak and the service center found a crack in the tank and replaced it. We still had a leak when we reached Independence. The mobile service guy found a pinched gasket in the dump valve and fixed that. But we still have a leak when the tank gets full. Just like yours. Oceans of water running out of the belly. They think they had a bad batch of cement since another rig had the same problem recently. They think it's the connection between the vent pipe and the tank. Be sure to let the service center know about it and I'm sure they'll check it out for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Great replies. Thanks so much. I am going to pass this on to Nic Davis.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65

fla native:

When we were in Fla. this past winter I discovered that I had a grey water tank leak also. I dropped the underbelly down and let my valve open and let it leak and lived with it. The reason it was leaking was that it was a defective tank that I could not see due it being covered up. The tank had stretch marks and wrinkles in it(should have not been put on in the first place) and that was where the leak was. I called Keystone and they said sorry but your trailer is out of warranty and I told them that the tank was defective and never should have been put on in first place. After we got home I called Keystone again and talked to a different person and emailed them pictures of the tank and they said the best thing that they could do that if I would come up to factory (130 miles) that they would give me a new tank, in the mean time I took it to a body shop and they put a fiberglass patch on it but would not guarantee it, $91.00 for the repair. Yesterday I drove up to factory and picked up the new tank. I'm not real happy with their response to my problem because it should have never been put on in first place. So I will wait until it starts leaking again and have the new tank put on.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I noticed the same thing happening a month or two ago. To make a long story short, I pulled the belly and laid under the gray tank as my wife filled it up. For the first 5-10 gallons, nothing. Then a very tiny drop of water started to appear on the tank near where the dump valve is located. When more water was added (with the extra weight) it was dripping about 3 drops per second. That's plenty to fill up an enclosed belly overnight.

I had an independant tech look at it yesterday, and in his opinion, a "plastic weld" won't hold. Others seem to disagree. In any event, I'm going to try to seal it with some of the sealer I have on hand. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try an epoxy patch.

I'll try to keep you posted.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nkwist

[...]

I had an independant tech look at it yesterday, and in his opinion, a "plastic weld" won't hold. Others seem to disagree. [...]
Well, when I did the plastic weld, one bead of material didn't hold. So I laid down about 7 side by side against each other. I won't crow about a real fix until I have pulled it down the road with the grey tank full. Then I might consider it done.

However, it is holding while we sit still.....

Eric
Old 07-01-2005, 03:54 AM   #9
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Eric:
What kind of plastic weld were you using? The guy that fixed mine didn't have any material that was compatible with tank itself. He ended up putting a fiberglass patch on it instead.
Al.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by aljolleyjr

Eric:
What kind of plastic weld were you using? The guy that fixed mine didn't have any material that was compatible with tank itself. He ended up putting a fiberglass patch on it instead.
Al.
I called Montana customer support. They told me that ALL holding tanks for ALL models for ALL years is ABS. So, that is what I used. I posted a picture of my (not so pretty) weld job on my grey tank in another thread.

I'll be leaving for the 4th and will see you all on Wed.

Have a good one!!!

Eric