Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
Hydraulic Oil??

Exactly what type,kind of oil is recommened for the slides on the Montanas Some say trans fluid, Dextron 3?, Jack oil?

Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Regular transmission fluid is what I use. This was recommended by my dealer when I bought our rig in 2000. Hopefully we won't develop a leak under the bed and cause that colored fluid to run out on the floor.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We were just told by MIMF today that Dexron 3 is what to use and it can be mixed with the hydraulic fluid that is in the tank. He also told us that the tank should be filled from 1/2"-1" from the top when the slides are all in.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I was told by the dealer that unless the Monty springs a leak I would never have to add any. Not sure but my tank was full last time I looked under the front storage, but have never seen any droppings under the trailer or stains anywhere. If I were having to add any I would be looking for signs of where it was going before adding a lot more.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Dont put in too much, cause when you move the slides out, it really causes a mess when its pumped out of the top. I dont know if mine is still pumping it out, but continue to find oil on top of my battery box. I'm watching the oil level and so far have not noticed any change. Hopefull that I did not pop a seal or something. With the slides in keep the level about a inch from the top. I also used Dextron 3.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Dhenry said, we had a seminar by Lippert reps, including MIMF, Dale Brubaker. They said ATF Dexron 3 is fine and can be mixed with what is in there. They also said this is better in cool weather it is not as thick as the oil already in the tank. As Doug said, they said no more than 1 inch from the top when the slides are IN. Don't put that much in with slides OUT or you'll have fluid all over when you bring the slides in. They also said you can buy the cheapest Dexron 3 you can find. They bought a case of it at Walmart to use in rigs that needed fluid at the rally. It looked like a generic brand from what I could see.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote