Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
slide seal keeps poping out

I have noticed when I extend my kitchen slide that the seal on the top comes out of the track.Its just a matter of going on top and pushing it back in place.Their is a slit in the rubber seal that when pished in grabs a thin metal rail where it snaps in place.was just wondering why now its starting to unsnap from its spot.i have no leaks but its a pain in the butt to climb up every time I extend the slide.i`am thinking maybe some type of glue in this tiny slit on the seal will keep it in place.Any thoughts????

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Mine did that once and I had to push it back on the lip. I cleaned the top of the slide and sprayed silicone on the seal. So far it is staying put.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We bought our 2000 used in 2002. One of the first things I had to do was replace the top seal of our slideout. It has small metal "teeth" that grab onto the opening. These had gotten wet and rusted - the previous owners full timed with the slide open constantly. Next time you are up there you might take a look and see if yours is like that. I just measured what I needed and took a small slice as a sample to the local RV dealer. He had it in stock and sold it by the foot.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Same problem..I made a "temp" fix a couple of months ago by re installing the seal and then fastening it more securely to the backing plate with 4 self tapping screws. Be sure to use washers to keep the rubber seal from riding up over the screw heads. Works OK so far. Been through a tropical storm and lots of other rain without leaks. I may get new seal material later on this Fall.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We had the same problem with our Jayco. When bought new seal material the dealer told me to run a bead of sealer along the upper edge of the seal to keep the water out. I later noticed that the newer model Jayco's came from the factory like this.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Montana_4428

M.O.C. #4428
WE HAVE A 2004 BIG SKY MONTANA AND HAVE HAD TO HAVE BEDROOM SLIDE PULLED 3 TIMES IN ABOUT 14 MONTHS TO HAVE BOTTOM WIPER SEAL REPAIRED. OPEN SLIDE AND SEAL STARTS COMING OUT WITH IT. HOPE THIRD TIME A CHARM AND IT IS FIXED. GOOD LUCK EITH YOUR RIG
Montana_4428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Mine was doing the same thing. I crimped the seal where it slips over the lip and pushed it on securely. Then I put silicone spray on the seal, both sides and wiped it in good. Hasn't come off since. I also washed the slide roof and try to keep it clean. I think my seal was actually coming off during the slide retraction by hanging up on the sticky slide roof?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote