Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Truck Grill Bike Rack or Ladder Mount?

We're having a lively discussion around our place regarding my bike and how we're going to carry it when we hit the road at the end of May. One of us (not naming names) says we can just carry it on the ladder of our rig; the other of us thinks that carrying it on the front grill of our truck is safer. I remember reading on the forum that carrying things on the ladder isn't safe because the ladder wasn't mounted to the rig with the idea of carrying things on it. However, we do see lots of people traveling with chairs, bikes, and other things hanging from that back ladder.

Here's the question: Would it be safe to carry one bike (one of the classic" types that doesn't fold) on our ladder, or should we get a bike carrier for the front grill of our truck? And, if the grill carrier is the best place, can anyone recommend a place to buy one of those?

Obviously, the ladder would be the easiest place to carry my bike, but I don't want to see our ladder with the bike fall off on the interstate between here and Texas.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Wayne, I use a ladder rack to carry ONE bike. It is a full size non-folding bike. I have done this for about 2 years and have had no problems. I do strap it down tighter with bungees and keep the wheels from turning while traveling. I put a protector on the handle-bar to keep them from rubbing on the camper. I cut about a 4 inch chunk from a swimming noodle to use as the protector.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I would not due the ladder.
I mounted a trailer hitch to the front of my truck. It has a square 2inch receiver so it will take a wide range of carring devices. Your choice.
Advantages are it is where I can see it and it is solidly attached.
Disadvantages are it blocks some of the lights for night driving and if you put a cover on the bikes it can block some cooling air needed when climbing mountains.
I do not cover my bikes and have not noticed any effect on engine cooling.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I used a ladder rack for two bikes last summer for a long trip. It worked well. I did use extra straps and the swimming pool noodles for extra padding. My new Montana has a light weight receiver hitch on the rear for bike racks ect.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I have been using a ladder bike rack for the last three Montana's we have owned. We usually have two bikes on the rack and have had no problems except if the bikes contact each other which can happen on any rack. Using noodles and watch carefully that bikes aren't contacting coach (or each other if you carry two )and you shouldn't have a problem no matter which way you choose.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Obviously there are some who use ladder mounted bike racks ... follow a fiver down a blacktop with bikes on the ladder for a few miles ... the sight defies most laws of linear motion ! My vote is for anything other than a ladder mount.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, lots do ladder mounts but I think a ladder is designed for a human to scale it on rare occasions to get to the roof while there is no additional constant movement. Even if the bikes weighed less than 50 lbs, these 1000s of miles of bouncing and jouncing of an additional load firmly fastened to a ladder would be a cause of concern over the long run. Since I use that ladder to get to the top, I'll minimize compromising its integrity.

My vote is for a front mounted hitch receiver. I already have a bike rack for up to four bicycles and the weight rating and margin to support all this (don't forget to cover the first bike to catch bugs). Then think of all the other good stuff you can buy for it like a winch, or anything that you can put into a receiver - I saw someone put a trailer ball on their front hitch and push a small trailer around using the front of the vehicle. That was cool and looked easier to do than backing end (assuming weight considerations are still maintained). Obviously, this is not for driving down the road, but this person was moving trailers around in a storage lot.

Do an internet search for "front mount hitch receivers" and you'll find plenty of brand name vendors (Reese, Hidden Hitch, Curt, etc.) Prices range below $200. Do get the maximum rating for your vehicle.

Then there's the possibility of building or buying apparatus to mount the bikes at the fiver's front cap and up and out of the way from the "curious". I think the extra step of mounting the bikes from the truck bed (prior to hitching up) is worth the security. Do a search for "top pop rails" and you'll find a company in Canada that sells a custom set. Other MOC members have fabricated theirs as did owners of SOBs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Carolyn, If you go with the hitch we bought ours from Etrailer last year. They are free shipping if over certain price. Like was mentioned earlier is it does block some of the lights when driving at night.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
If we decide to take our bikes sometime, I will be giving serious consideration to a bike rack mounted on the pin box. I think that if you buy a rack that fits into a trailer hitch receiver that is also designed for a hatch back vehicle like a mini-van, it can be lowered, which would make loading/unloading bikes from the ground easier. JMHO.

Gook luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As another alternative, we have laid a single bike in front of the hitch in the bed of the truck. I do have a hidden hitch front receiver on the front of the truck and can comfortably carry four bikes there, but night-time driving limits the headlights to low-beam and using the fog lights. On our new rig, we carry two bikes on the OEM receiver at the rear of the rig and carry two additional bikes in the rig (another advantage of the 3750, the bathroom door provides easy access to the bathroom which easily holds two bikes. Others on the forum throw an extra blanket on the bed and lay the bike on the bed. There are many alternatives to select the one which works best for you. I like others, shy away from using the rear ladder for anything except for getting on top of the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you are considering a front hitch on the truck what about installing a receiver on the back of the trailer and carry the bikes back there. I did add a 2" receiver to my 07 3295RK.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We carry our bikes on a rack on the back of the rig (on the OEM hitch) and a real ladder that will hold my weight on the rigs ladder. As the folks in the New York office building observed when the window washer fell from his scaffold - each floor he went by they heard him say "So Far, So Good!" and so it is with us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We have ours in the back of our truck. If I couldn't do that I would put a hitch on the back of the camper. Actually wish I had one there now, then I could have a tool box in the back of my truck.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas for hauling my bike to Texas. I think I've figured out that by the time we add a front receiver and rack to the truck, or get a receiver and rack added to the back of the 5th-wheel (ours is a 2007 and it didn't come with a receiver), I could just buy another Walmart bike when we get to Texas and leave the bike that I now have (and love) here in a storeroom.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Carolyn
Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas for hauling my bike to Texas. I think I've figured out that by the time we add a front hitch receiver and rack to the truck, or get a hitch receiver and rack added to the back of the 5th-wheel (ours is a 2007 and it didn't come with a trailer hitch back there), it would be cheaper to just leave the bike that I now have (and love) here in our storeroom and buy another Walmart bike when we get to Texas.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Carolyn
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Do a search for "top pop rails" and you'll find a company in Canada that sells a custom set. Other MOC members have fabricated theirs as did owners of SOBs.
Thanks for that link, that is a great idea!
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We never hang anything on our ladder after seeing too many "bouncers" while on the interstate.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Do a search for "top pop rails" and you'll find a company in Canada that sells a custom set. Other MOC members have fabricated theirs as did owners of SOBs.
Thanks for that link, that is a great idea!
They are quite proud of that system, the cost for a 2 bike long bed configuration is $500
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote