Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Tektrum Solar Panel Kits

Does anyone have any experience with this product, and if so, what do you think. I have an e-mail out to them regarding a charge controller. There kits do not list this item. Any comments appreciated.

http://www.tektrumcorp.com/solar_panels.htm

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
boje,
Sorry, no experience with this dealer, you might ask on the solar forum listed at the bottom of this post, lots of experience there.
Looks like the controller is extra. Pretty high prices on the panels, the largest (180 watt) would just keep up with a few lights and the fridge on gas and maybe a small 12v tv. Remember, you'll need heavy wire from the roof to the controller, a disconnect/fuse between the controller and panels, and another between the controller and battery, mounting hardware, ect.
Here are some links to some educational pages and my favorite supplier. Even if people don't agree with everthing HandyBob says, most agree on his advice on finding out your loads before buying expensive equipment. I went pretty much word for word by his design ideas, everything he said agreed with my electronics schooling and 40 years of electrical experience. My system only has 1.5% loss between panels and battery on paper, in reality I can't get a voltage drop with my meter anywhere but at the controller.
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/t...ging-puzzle-2/
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php
http://sunelec.com/

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Thanks Tom, that was an interesting read.

To be honest, I bought a 16' TT to boondock in. The Montana is just to big to go to our special hideout. All I need is something to keep one 12V battery charged. We usually spend most of the day outside, and the only DC we would be using would be for lights at night, and occasional furnace and water pump use. No more than three days out.

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
boje,
Sounds like you have the most important part down Conserve, Conserve, Conserve.
One 12 volt battery is usually about 100 amp hours of capacity, the only thing is you can only use about 50% of it if you want your battery to last.
The furnace in my trailer draws 10 amps so -10 amp hours for every hour the fan runs.
The fridge in ours uses an average of 1 amp/ hr., 914 bulbs that they use in the cieling lights draw about 1 amp EACH, 1056's in the reading lamps are over 2 amps., we only use the water heater when we need it so I don't figure the 1/2 amp it takes. The water pump draws 7 amps at the top end of the pressure recharge on the equalizer I installed, but only about 4 if I turn
the valve to it off and just use the pump on demand. But then again it runs every time you use any water.
Take each draw times expected usage time, then add them all together for total amp hrs. Take that times 12volts to get total watt hrs needed to recharge the battery daily. For full time boondocking most people figure a three day capacity in case of rain, heavy clouds, snow ect. I figure that running the generator isn't that hard occasionally. The solar experts say to figure only half of the watts from the panels will get to the batteries, probably a good rule of thumb but I get WAY over that. As far north as you are, tilting brackets could make quite a difference. Anyway I'd guess you could get thru a night on one battery if the furnace doesn't run too much.
So 50 amp hours times 12 volts equals 600 watt hours, divide that by 4 hours of good sun a day is 150 watts of solar needed, not counting 50% derating for system loss. That is why I put 255 watts on the roof and one 60 watt portable panel to get out from under trees. I also upgraded to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries so I have 230 amp hours of storage, and changed all my bulbs to LEDs.
All that to say that my system is way over built, in good sun I am full by noon, if the wife wants to run the microwave or hair dryer in the morning off the generator for 15 min or so they are full by 10 AM. One 125 watt panel would have gotten me by with an occasional generator use.
Of course the guys teaching me how to figure this stuff all sell solar panels so that may be part of it. Not that I regret having the extra capacity, it is going to make staying in NFS, NPS, BLM and lots of state campgrounds with no hookups a real breeze. Those are the kind of places we camp when in your part of the country, one of our favorite states by the way. Hope to find some more great out of the way campsites in WY this summer like we did in 2009 and 2007.
This panel from Amazon has good reviews and I think UPS shippable. http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-39110...2831636&sr=8-8
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote