Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm trying to figure this one out...

A new building just went up, on a prime real estate location, I thought it was some big business' corporate office. It turned out to be a Salvation Army location. My questions are; why couldn't they build it in a more modest fashion, rent a space already built, build a less expensive building...along those lines. If they are helping less fortunate people, wouldn't they have more money and resources to do so that way?
Just trying to make some sense of it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Maybe in light of these economic conditions, this was the lesser expensive option. Maybe with the tax breaks for them and the lessor, this was a deal. Your pictures show a very nice facility.

Maybe they were able to find more philanthropists by saying they'd invest the funds in a new facility rather than trying to make an older facility suitable. You just never know.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
the cost of the building may have been donated to use just for the building, but I agree it could be more modest.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Hey folks-have you ever been aware of the salary paid to the director of the Red Cross?

Talk about excess!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
These are the reasons we donate to church organizations for the poor. Those that take furniture, household goods and canned food.
Donated some turkeys a few times to homeless shelters and a food drive held by a church. They also don't sell their donations to the poor.
The church puts the furniture in a building and when helping set up a homeless family into an apartment or house they use this donated furniture.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
but the Salvation Army is a church.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wonder if all the people who donate on Christmas with the pots and bell ringers know the money went to that building and those nice new Vans, instead of for the hungry and needy.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here in our Hometown the S.A is in a large building in a Shopping center . The space was donated by the owners. Our local community care is in a very nice building. The land was donated by Arbys.Much of the building cost was also donated. I know our local Lions club donated a chunk.

You are right... The S.A is a church..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My point is that they could have had 3 or maybe 5 different locations and helped hundreds of more needy people with the money they spent on this one. If donated, same deal.
If nothing else, it doesn't look good, public relations-wise.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree completely...why not do as you suggest AND re-use an empty building serves the public better.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
One of my favorites:
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
Herman Melville
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Must have been "shovel ready."
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Before tearing the Salvation Army apart because of a building they own, why not ask them why the building is the way it is. It just may be something more than a place to sell items to make money to help those in need. It may be a training center, classrooms or a meeting hall..as stated earlier the S.A. is a church, and while you are at it ask a WWII war vet what he thinks of the Salvation Army.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

Before tearing the Salvation Army apart because of a building they own, why not ask them why the building is the way it is. It just may be something more than a place to sell items to make money to help those in need. It may be a training center, classrooms or a meeting hall..as stated earlier the S.A. is a church, and while you are at it ask a WWII war vet what he thinks of the Salvation Army.
And then ask him what he thinks about the American Red Cross. My dad told me they got real nice shaving kits from the Red Cross, and thought how great that was - until they saw a deduction in their next paycheck to cover the cost!

"Sally" has always been one of my top priorities when it comes to charity donations.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kids standing in the cold and snow at Christmas ringing the bells, with the collection pot nearby, Christmas music playing, people dropping money in, thinking that money will feed the hungry, give clothes to the cold, maybe provide shelter in a storm for families. Maybe it will. Or maybe it will pay the for the landscaping on that new building.
Kansas City is over 50 square miles in area. We have shopping centers, schools, businesses, warehouses, already built, buildings that are very available, Banks and owners more than willing to make a sweet deal to someone.
Again, my point is that the money spent on that very expensive facility could be helping far more families, servicemen and needy folks if spent wisely. I respect everyones point of view on this, this is mine. Managers & directors come and go, some make good decisions, some not so good. This facility me, is closer to the latter.